Telecaster neck pickup BRASS cover

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by parademe, Aug 9, 2018.

1. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I imagine there must be at least one company in China selling brass covers with Fender dimensions. Have you looked into Japanese tele pickups? JV Fender & Squier, Tokai, Fernandes etc. Sometimes we see them for sale at the usual places. I have a Breezysound. Just tried but failed to find the original pickups and measure the cover for you. I will look again. The neck was really muddy so could be brass inside.

2. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Yeah they all use Gotoh pickups, which sport a brass cover. Didn't think of them. Also they claim to be "all domestic production". The pictures I found online don't really support that.
    I didn't find any dimensions listed though, would be great if you find that pickup of yours :)

3. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Okay so I found the pickup and took a measurement for you. My digital caliper only displays 2 digits after the point in inches mode.

2.55 inch
    64.9 mm (or 2.555118 inch)

To consider. My caliper measures the diameter of a 50 Eurocent coin to 24.1mm. Should be 24.25mm

I was able to determine that the cover is brass because there is some chrome plate missing on one of the tabs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

parademe likes this.
  4. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Thank you!
    In terms of size and appearance it's pretty close to the covers I got from China. I also checked the Fender MIJ Tele pickguard dimensions out of interest and it measures 66 millimeters, so there wouldn't be any necessity to manufacture a smaller cover; or whatever.

I guess it all boils down to this: there's only one plant somewhere in Asia left that produces brass covers which are one millimeter short of original Fender specs.

5. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Have you considered looking at the wiring? Maybe add a resistor in the signal path to get that degree of muddiness you need.

Sometimes seller specifications are not as close as they should be. It can be an expensive game of try and try again.

6. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

I'm OK for now. Knowing that options are limited makes the millimeter-gap between cover and guard disappear; or al least significantly smaller.

7. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Update: the brass cover made/sold by WD Music is the closest to Fender specs (2.6 inches or 6.6 mm) so far:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

8. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Alright, got another one for you. This one I bought at Axesrus from the UK, didn't find this design anywhere else. Approximately 9 - 10 $ with shipping. And even though this story didn't turn out too good for me I really like Axesrus for all the guitar related stuff they are selling here in Europe.
    So three weeks after ordering that cover it still didn't arrive in Berlin, Germany, which is odd. So I order it again, this time with tracking, which throws me back another 20 $. A day after I ordered the second brass cover the first one arrived. But whatevers, it's "just" 30 $ for a piece of brass.

On top of that it turned out that while it's as wide (measured neck to bridge direction) as the Fender cover it's even shorter than the Chinese covers. Oh well...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

9. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

So I guess it's safe to say by now after this somewhat OCD'ish hunt, that the WD vintage brass cover is the one that comes closest to Fender specs.

If anyone has another idea or could measure an actual Fender brass cover, that would be great. Otherwise I'll install the WD this weekend.

10. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

OK, final Update (really). I found out - by pure chance, chrome flaking off - that the Fender TexMex Telecaster neck pickup sports a brass cover. The cover had a small hole in the side which might be something Fender did to tell it apart from the "regular" nickel silver covers, but that's just an assumption.
    It has the same size like the nickel silver covers by Fender.

11. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Careful - you could be looking at the copper layer that is usually applied before the chromium layer is applied. If it is brass, the lack of copper could actually be the cause of the flaking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.