telecaster neck issues.

Coolehandluke

TDPRI Member
I hope someone can give me advice,

I have a fender professional telecaster (original version). Purchased it second hand when it was 3 months old in 2017.
I have always suffered to one degree or another with fret buzz. sometimes it is slight, other times really bad.
Another characteristic of this neck is that if I loosen off the truss rod completely to that mid position it seems to have a slight back bow. To get relief into the neck (when in tune) I have to wind the truss rod the other way to get relief. When this is done there is also very little adjustment available and I only just manage to get about 0.010" relief with that.
The action is normally fender spec about medium. certainly not low.
When I sight the relief down the neck it looks a bit odd, with the lower half practically straight. Certainly not a nice even curve.
I have also checked all the frets and correctly levelled and polished them, but every time I re tune the neck and leave it a few days there will be a high fret somewhere in the middle of the neck between the 5th and 14th fret and sometimes on a different section of the fret.
I am starting to think that
1. there is something wrong with the truss rod?
2. That this neck has some unrepairable issues? (daft thing to say I know)

starting to wonder if this was the reason it was sold after 3 months?

any advice would help. Thinking of getting a new one made.

Coolehandluke

TDPRI Member
HI ALL,
I fret levelled the frets by first getting the neck straight using a industry recognised fret ruler.
the strings are 9.5's.
the lower halve refers to frets above 7th fret. (bad description)
in all honesty, if I take off the relief which has to be set by adjusting the truss rod and leave the truss rod loose then it will have a back bow every time.
what is currently happening is that I can get the relief on (just) after checking the frets, then a few days later I will check it and ill have high points on some of the frets which were not an issue before.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
It's unlikely that there's something wrong with the truss rod. The Bi-flex has a retainer under the 7th fret, which has the side-effect of putting some extra upward force in that area. I can see how that could create a bit of a hump.

It's possible that you just got a neck that's a little extra flexible and unstable. That happens sometimes.

If the neck is moving a lot when temp and humidity change, it can create high or low areas, but not specific high or low frets. If that's what you're chasing, it could be some frets that are poorly seated. It could also just be user error when you're leveling and crowning them.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
If you set it up with extremely low action, you will likely have buzzing that changes from day to day. Truss rod relief is only in the first 12-14 frets or so, so the fingerboard above that typically has a different geometry - usually dead straight, or a slight fall-away.

I would raise your action slightly, roughly maintaining the neck radius. THEN, start a FULL SETUP - usually getting the neck as straight as possible with no string tension. MAKE SURE your neck joint is straight and TIGHT. Evaluate neck angle, fret levelness, and any warp/twist in the neck. Assuming all of the above is OK, then attach the strings. The neck should pull into a SLIGHT upbow - which in reality may be too much or none at all. Then follow proper setup procedure from there.

Coolehandluke

TDPRI Member
thanks for the help. With no strings tension the neck does have a back bow unless I force it straight with the truss rod.
the neck action is never low.
All the frets are well seated and seated with glue.
I have done what Boreas has suggested which is my starting point each time, I get the neck straight, check the frets, then relief, action, and intonation, and all is fine, then a few days later buzzing, and when I look with a fret rocker there are high points on different frets each time, but the neck relief has not moved?

Coolehandluke

TDPRI Member
Something KotoTele said has made me think,
Since I have to force the relief into the neck using the truss rod is there a chance this is putting a pressure on that retainer causing all the problems. the issues with fret buzzing and uneven frets is always around that area, randomly on different strings each time?