1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

TELECASTER NECK HEEL DIMENSIONS

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by BenConquest02, Jan 15, 2021.

1. BenConquest02

BenConquest02 TDPRI Member

Hi,

I recently bought a fender telecaster classic 50’s neck only to find the heel width is 54mm when I thought the normal size was 56mm. Have I brought a defective neck or am I wrong about the measurements?

thanks!

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not sure. Someone will surely know.

Welcome.

BenConquest02 likes this.
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

It's not wrong exactly 54 gives a bit of wiggle room, which is good for the alignment, however if you bought something that was sold as 56 that is another issue altogether.

4. BenConquest02

BenConquest02 TDPRI Member

do you think this would affect the neck pocket much?

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold! We need guitar pics to validate your membership.

Try posting your question in the sub forum here entitled Telecaster Discussion Forum. This forum is where we say howdy.

6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

That's one millimeter on each side. I don't know any dimensions off the top of my head, but wood working doesn't exactly inspire tight tolerances. You can cut it to 57 mm, sand it to 55 mm, and finish it back to 56. If you're worried about a gap between the pocket and the body while it may not look ideal it won't affect playability. There's probably some snake oil people that say it will, but it'll be fine.

7. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum !!

8. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico USA

9. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Welcome aboard from Sunny!!

10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

That depends if you neck pocket is right a 56, then no, if it's 54 or smaller possibly.

String alignment is the real issue. questions to answer . . . Is there enough fretboard spacing on either side of the "E" strings? Then can you line the neck up properly? If yes to both then I'd would say no impact on the neck pocket. a 3 or 4 inch "C" Clamp with felt or cloth attached to the points of contact is a good way to test fit a neck that has wiggle room. I attempt to put on both the "e" Strings using this method to check alignment.

If you look at some vintage instruments online, even some famous ones, there are gaps on either side of the neck heel in more than a few. My point is they were all still playable.

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A tele neck is 2 3/16" at the heel which translates to 55.6mm. That means your 1.6mm difference is 0.063" off which is equivalent to 1/16".

Is this vintage correct? Yes, the old guitars were all over the board in size because they were all hand sanded. If you have a perfect fit on a bolt on neck, you risk breaking out the edges when the wood swells with humidity. A little wiggle room is desired.

DrASATele likes this.
  12. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

I would be in the camp it’s normal. Even my ‘76 Thinline (not the best quality era, though) has space in both sides and they still couldn’t line it up perfect. There’s more space on the high e side. Just get it lined up right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.