Telecaster Modern Player rebuild

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by unclevic, Jan 14, 2020.

1. unclevic

unclevic TDPRI Member

So a few years back I was looking for a guitar and I bumped into the telecaster modern at my favorite music store. It was a B stock model so it was relatively inexpensive and a jumped at it and took it home. When I brought it to practice for the 1st time I noticed that it was not very loud and even with the hum bucker in the bridge I still needed to beef up the amp a little bit. Recently I decided to take the plunge and I'm having the pickups removed and am going with 3 EMG pickups instead including an EMG 89 in the bridge so that I can split it and make it like a telecaster Nashville model. I am excited to see what the results will be and so as my guitar Tech who's doing the work for me. Thoughts anyone??

marklk likes this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Best of luck. Look forward to your opinions on the tone.

unclevic likes this.
  3. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

I'm also looking forward to the results. I love my modern player tele but the bridge pickup is just okay. I'm not expecting perfection but I feel like humbucker could be more humbuckery and when split more tele like.

4. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul TDPRI Member

I currently have mine in the shop. I'm fine with the neck and middle pickups, but the bridge humbucker is really underwhelming. Replacing it with a dual lipstick humbucker to a 3-way mini switch to get humbucker/split series/split parallel. Also adding a push/pull tone pot to activate the neck pickup no matter where the 5-way switch is so I can get neck + bridge. A little more work than I wanted to take on, which is why I'm using a tech! Hoping to have it back by the end of the week.

unclevic likes this.
  5. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

Go for it! It’s a great modding platform. The stock pickups were kinda ‘eh’ in my opinion, but it didn’t even take $100 bucks worth of GFS trash to transform it into something that sounded liked the right kind of gritty and jangled. Then I kinda... stripped most of the finish off and burned it the heat gun and replaced the bridge. I’m about to put a vintage f-branded Bigsby on it.
    I also swapped the middle and neck positions on the switch so that I can use the neck and bridge together, but in the future imma change the mini switch to an ‘always on’ for the bridge pickup so I can use them all at once.
    F7B1A9EA-02A0-4941-949D-74D6764DD6AE.jpeg

6. unclevic

unclevic TDPRI Member

7. unclevic

unclevic TDPRI Member

Dude, that sounds like an awesome mod I'm anxious to see it once it gets done. This is my 1st post so I kind of forgot to post pictures but I will send some when the finish product arrives. Good luck on your project as well.

8. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul TDPRI Member

I picked it up yesterday. The tech called me last week with some bad news--he couldn't wire the pickup how I wanted. It was a GFS pickup with their "proprietary KwikPlug system". The plug has 4 wires and a ground, and the website claims you can get all the wiring combinations. But with the plug, you can have humbucker and split--period. The tech said he could take the plug off to get to the wires and do the wiring how I wanted, but it would take a bit of work.

I figured...heck with it. I knew how I wanted it done, and what's a few more bucks? If I DIDN'T have it done that way, I'd always wonder how it would have sounded every time I played it. So I told him to go ahead.

The GFS pickup is rated at 12K, but the tech ended up having to lower the neck and middle pickups and raise the humbucker up to balance them out. Took it home and plugged it in. I'm much happier with it. The humbucker setting has more drive than the stock pickup, but has a bright tone that puts it in Tele territory. The split settings are still not as strong as I would like, but sound much better than what I had before.

Pairing the middle/bridge in parallel gets a nice Strat tone. Neck/bridge in parallel is the classic Tele in the middle position. Switching to neck/bridge series gives the 4-way switch option. All in all, the guitar now has FIFTEEN different pickup settings! I doubt I'll use all of them, but better to have and not need, right?

I'll try to get pics/sound clips uploaded later today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.