Telecaster MIM 1998 450€ worth it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ivanalexxey, Feb 6, 2020.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Wise choice. In my experience, early 90s MIJ Squiers and later MIM Fenders are very close.

Pictures are always welcome!

2. ivanalexxey

ivanalexxey TDPRI Member

Hello there: some pictures here: i think that is a squier telecaster Japan from 1993. Serial number starts with an o. Neck is fantástic, one maple piece. I presume that is from a squier II korean made, has got an inscription on the back : sqII-Tlm e n2. And the body is laminates plywood, i think. So, i think people that i've bought a partscaster guitar or a bottom of the line squier MIJ. The guitar sounds awesome, pickups pretty much decent an has some hardware upgradings (kluson tune lockers, american pots)
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

3. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Sounds a bit high in price to me. I've owned one and found the build quality much better than I expected. Down the road I swapped out the pickups but the overall construction of the instrument was really good. I played it quite often over a seven year period with no issues. No complaints. All good.

4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Don’t expect to find very precise information about those Squiers. They are not collectors items like a 50s Telecaster , they were mass produced, no record of the serial number, production site changed from year to year, parts mixed from one batch to the other and from one country of production to the other. And there are partscaster too. Be prepared to read a lot of contradictory opinions, and do a lot of research until you find the truth...

To be honest, I had never heard about the « Squier II » before today (or forgot). I bought a Korean Squier, in 1987, I researched about it, and researched about other Korean Squiers, about 80s’ Japanese guitars, 90s’ Japanese Squiers, Mexican , American, Chinese and so on...

I would have thought a Japan made Squier is worth 250€ in today’s market. Even the neck alone maybe. There are always better deals, but that’s what you get.

Sure plywood bodied guitars are not sought after, and you could have spotted this by looking at the side of the body (not always), but some plywoods have the right weight, density, they feel and resonate just like plain wood. So don’t focus on this point, if the guitar plays well, it’s OK.

I noticed the locking tuners. Maybe some other parts were swapped.

5. ivanalexxey

ivanalexxey TDPRI Member

Thank you all, lowcaster and arlum. Yes, its price was 250€ and It sounds very good. I think that its Weight is correct and is very playable, its neck is fantástic. By Now, Having good feelings and enjoying with this guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.