Telecaster MIM 1998 450€ worth it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ivanalexxey, Feb 6, 2020.

1. ivanalexxey

ivanalexxey TDPRI Member

Hello there: I´ve found a Telecaster MIM from 1998, 450€. I think that body is poplar and the guitar is in good condition, all parts original. Do you think that is a good deal? I would want to use it in order to upgrade changing pickups and pots. Thanks in advance for your responses.

cheers!

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not sure , but my 98 MIM Strat is superb. Been my #1 (with mods) for years.

NicDo and ivanalexxey like this.
  3. ivanalexxey

ivanalexxey TDPRI Member

Thank you Schmee. I´m considering to buy MIM Telecaster from 1998 or Korean Squier Telecaster from 1997 VN7 and Gold Logo series. 450€ first and 200€ second. Im thinking that Korean one is a great deal. I cannot try any of them so Im just wondering if the price of the mexican one is a good deal. Thank you!

4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

In my opinion €450 for a MIM Telecaster is a fair price if it’s in excellent condition. The body wood should be Alder.

Try offering €400 for good condition?

That year and model is averaging $500 US on Reverb.com before offers are made.

ivanalexxey likes this.
  5. ivanalexxey

ivanalexxey TDPRI Member

Thank you NewKid. I will offer 400€. What do you think about the squier one?

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Sounds a bit pricey. I picked up a mint as-new 2017 MIM standard for £300, or E330 from ebad last year.

ivanalexxey likes this.
  7. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

The Korean Squier has a plywood body and is thinner so I wouldn’t like it as much, even modded.

A recent used Squier Classic Vibe Tele may also be a nicer option for you, and less than the Fender Mexican Tele.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    ivanalexxey likes this.
  8. ivanalexxey

ivanalexxey TDPRI Member

Thank you all!!

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Considering my #1, run-into-a-burning-building guitar is a 1995 MIM Telecaster, I’d say it’s probably a good deal.

ivanalexxey likes this.
  10. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

If it's Blue Agave, Sage Green or Midnight Wine it might be worth it since those colors in good condition are getting kind of rare. Otherwise I'd see if I could talk them down a bit. I paid $375 for mine (2003, but same 98-05 model) in 2018 and haven't seen one go for that little since, even in much rougher shape. The main selling point of this model is they went from poplar to alder in 98 and from alnico V to ceramic pickups in 2006 so the 98-05 is the sweet spot for off-the-shelf MIM standard specs.

Here's a link I keep around for reference on the MIM standard line 1991-2010: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/mim-standard-tele-changes-2000-2010.245204/

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    ivanalexxey likes this.
  11. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn’t call it a good deal. Fair deal maybe if you can play the guitar before buying. Even worse if you plan swapping pickups... A brand new Fender MIM from big online retailer in EU costs 500€. I have one (2014) and I wouldn’t expect to be able to sell it for more than 400€.

Or am I missing something about late 90’s Mexican guitars?

ivanalexxey likes this.
  12. ivanalexxey

ivanalexxey TDPRI Member

Yeah, KT89. I´ve already read this link, thank you. Colour is olimpic white and I believe that Mexican Teles from late 90s are good stuff, considering alder (or Poplar wood maybe) and alnico pickups. Is possible that it´s a little pricey, as LowCaster said, but here in Spain, Mexican Teles are all around this price. I´m considering to offer 400€ and keep this guitar in order to make upgrades a little bit later. In the other hand, to pick up Korean Squier and make upgrades now could be interesting. Korean Squiers VN7 with Gold Logo have alder body and chunky Maple neck. On top of that, their owner made some upgrades such a changing pots, hardware and string through.

So, I´ll think about it. Of course, Mexican Tele is a great guitar.

Thank you all!!

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ivan, 450 Euros sounds kinda high. When buying used, what are the chances of getting a real nice one? Not good enough, to pay this price.

Oh, and that guitar is probably Arctic White. Although, these are just names and half the time, FMIC just uses whatever white that's been delivered to the plant.

ivanalexxey likes this.
  14. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I would not pay more than 350 Euro for it

ivanalexxey likes this.
  15. mschafft

mschafft TDPRI Member

If you really like the neck profile and stock pickups it is an OK deal.

ivanalexxey likes this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah, a little high if it’s a standard. €350-400 is probably more like it. Players are about €550 new and there’s no real vintage premium on MiMs yet and might never be. Figure 2/3 current new price is the maximum you should pay for most used music gear that’s not vintage.

If you’re looking to mod, find one that’s already had some changes. It will probably be cheaper than an all-original.

JayFreddy likes this.
  17. ivanalexxey

ivanalexxey TDPRI Member

Sorry, didnt see your responses. I´ve already bought another guitar. As you said, 400€ was a little pricey, so I went for a Squier MIJ circa 92. Thank you all, people!

Matthias likes this.
  18. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I got a 2001 in excellent shape for 300 USD and got a decent Roadrunner tweed hard case with it. I guess I got a better deal than I thought. It's the black one in my profile picture.

19. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

If it's mint, under-the-bed-in-its-case-since-1998 condition, then maybe, but if you like it, try and knock him don on the price, it's a little high imo

20. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

My #1 run-into-a-burning-building Telecaster is a 1996 MIM Std. Telecaster. But I paid less that £300 for it new in '97. Would I pay €400-450 to replace it after that fire? Why, yes, yes I would. I wouldn't think it a great deal - but a great relief if I got my #1 back.

Fiesta Red likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.