1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster: middle position vs bridge PU with tone rolled off

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EsquireBoy, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

+1. The middle position on a Tele (especially with pickup heights adjusted so they're equal output) is a unique Tele sound. You'll never really know until you try it.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I agree 100%. Problem is: by the time I’ve paid international shipping + VAT to France, it’s become basically the same price, and since I’m not sure about the result it could be harder to sell then.
    That’s why the idea of a normal conversion appeals to me more in the end because I’ll have far more options.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You only need to use a separate wire to the cover if the neck pickup you choose is the opposite polarity from the bridge pickup you have, and then you need to swap the polarity to remain in phase when both pickups are on, and that's when you need to clip the wire connected to the cover and run a separate ground wire to it. Otherwise, it isn't necessary.
    And, the middle position on a Tele is a unique tone that can't be achieved by the bridge pickup alone. And, the neck pickup alone is also a very good sound, used by many blues players, and sounds similar to the neck pickup on a Strat.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Yes Thanks! I'm quite convinced right now, and think I'll do the conversion. Seems like the hardest thing will be to find a pickguard that matches perfectly: my esquire is from the CS and it does not seem to match exactly with the regular American series template.

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

The middle position has a certain sweetness that's hard to get with just one pickup.

It's the perfect chord strumming tone.
    Also, if you go for a 4-way, the two pickups in series give you another different and useful tone to play around with.

Don't worry about phase issues. Just have a separate ground for the metal cover, and install the pickup. If it's out of phase, just swap the pickup leads.

EsquireBoy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.