1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster lover questions for Gibson ES owners.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by imwjl, Mar 8, 2012.

1. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

A 335 and a Tele are like peanut butter and chocolate.

2. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

I did the following:

Deluxe Tele for single coil.

ES-335 with P90's that coil-tap, to serve as an epic blues/jazz machine.

Finally, a Les Paul for humbuckers.

If you can't play basically any song in the world with one of those three, the problem isn't the equipment.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

You should try an ES 339, the smaller bodied "335" style guitar. It might make the transition easier.

I have a '66 Epiphone Riviera that was my only guitar for many years. It pairs well with a Tele. Kalamazoo made Epi's are a good buy. The Riviera is a 335 with mini-humbuckers.

4. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Tele-Holic

ES-335 Dot "Fat Neck" Reissue

Attached Files:

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well there is a world of difference between an es-335 (semi-hollow, but as far as I'm concerned, pretty much sounds like a solid body), and an es-175 (totally hollow), so it's hard to know how to answer your question.

I have an ES-225tdc, which is totally hollow (two P-90 pickups). It's a thinline version of the es-175. They are not made anymore so you can only buy used. I love mine and gig it in a loud rock band and don't have feedback problems, but a 335 is even less likely to feed back.

I think it comes down to whether or not you want a hollow body guitar sound or not. The 335 is basically like a Les Paul as far as I'm concerned. Not a bad thing, as I love Les Pauls, but it doesn't have a hollow body character to it at all. It acts like a solid body guitar, because it basically is one.

Still it would be far different that your Tele. You just have to decide if you want a hollowbody or not. If not, get the 335.

6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes and that is true of almost all Gibsons by the way, not just the 335. My Les Paul can be twang city.

7. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think you gotta research and play some guitars and see what you think....a 175 and a 335 are completely different beasts.

8. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Tele-Holic

+1

For purely Jazz (i.e. bebop & swing) purposes, I prefer a ES-175ish guitar w/ a single pickup (floating if I had a choice), a floating rosewood bridge, a trapeze tailpiece and a set of Thomastik-Infeld Swing Flatwounds.

9. torresfan

torresfan Tele-Meister

Ordered one last week, expect to pick it up this wednesday as a birthday present to myself. :)

10. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Tele-Holic

Nice... that's a very versatile guitar with a nice chunky neck... not to mention massive mojo/street cred.

11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried the 339 and liked Fat Neck version but Fat Neck 335 back to back yielded the 335 able to make BIG low E notes by comparison. Thus, the 339 wasn't enough for me to give up my PRS Hollow Body.

I've also tried 175 and similar. If compared to what I have that's the biggest difference and I loved it but was not sure I'd use it as often as other guitars.

Add all that up and I'm trying to delay gratification and make decisions that will mean fewer guitars and less buying and selling

I may have said it but an ES-135 I tried seemed less hot than 137 and rather between a 175 and 335. Those show up at relative bargain prices.

Another variation of the search was trying some Gretsch hollow guitars - theory being I mostly keep my Strat for the tremolo bar and a Bigsby Gretsch might combine function in once item.

Thanks for all the advice, and I hope my wanting less stuff and careful selection makes sense.

12. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

How did you like the coil tapped P90s? I've been trying to gather info....

13. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Not to hijack, I had a Goldtop Lester with the tapped P-90s for a short bit, loved how it sounded, liked the chunky round shouldered neck, but (and not to trash Gibsons) it had a couple high frets. I swapped it and some $ for a Standard that is a great player.

The P-90s in the Goldtop were gritty and snarly and all that is good. Tapping them and playing with the tone controls yielded some very useful sounds. I will pick up another one some day.

14. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I have a ES135 with fat neck , humbuckers and stop tail ( see picture ) and it's a wonderful guitar. It's a 2003 model and I've seen them used for $1000.

Attached Files:

15. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

The ES 339 with a '59 neck is without doubt one of the sweetest guitars I have ever heard. Played through a Vibroverb by my grandson, it can give me goosebumps that simply leave me breathless.

The 339 really is a hell of a guitar, and at any price ...... just saying.

I find telecasters to be such wonderfully adaptable guitars (as I'm sure we all do) - but this thing is so different to my ears. Wet, dank caves, pure dry and clean or the Bluest of Blue; these sounds and many more, are all on tap for those players who know how to go get them ....

Without doubt one of Gibson's best sounding, full value for money guitars, of recent years.

..... and you don't have to sell the farm to get one.

16. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

Put it this way: I'm $2,400 poorer.

I'd have to say that you wont find another pickup that can sound so hot and then subsequently tone down the excess noise for jazz. Lindy Fralin has been quoted saying he has "Given up on the idea of coil-tapped humbuckers that sound amazing."

The ES-335 is my grail, but I like the P90s enough to abandon the '57 Classic humbuckers that are coming standard on almost all of these.

The stock Gibson ones are great, but you might see me switch out for a Fralin or Lollar set in the near future. If or when I do, you'd definitely see a sound clip video on this forum for the benefit of others.

17. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

That would be greatly appreciated. I've become really interested in tapped P90s but NO ONE seems to even know about them!

18. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

I would also check out a Heritage 535 (their version of the 335).

I played old Gibsons back in the 70s, then only played acoustic on occasion til around 2007 when I checked out a bunch of newer Gibsons and wasn't impressed. Wasn't what I recalled from back in the day. Tried a few Heritages, and it was like ahhh..bingo. I wound up with a H575 (think Gibson 175), H535 and 2 LP types. I do miss that Gibson headstock, logo mojo whatever sometimes, til I actually play them. And the headstock (which some don't like) is based on the old Gibson snake head headstock. Took a tour of the Kalamazoo factory (the old Gibson plant) last summer, man if those walls could talk.

All that said, I am deep in Tele mode lately.

Edit to add pic...sorry couldn't resist, dog sold separately..
    [​IMG]

19. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Ok, I have both Telecaster (Baja) and a Gibson ES-347 ( an upscale ES-335, w/ coil-tapped HBs, now discontinued). I play the Tele much more probably 'cause I'm into single coils. So now I'm currently acquiring GAS for this:[​IMG]

This a Joey Leone Signature RBC, a kind of a modern send up of the EB-5 Switchmaster (similar to ES-5 but it has humbuckers) with P-90's. Check the Quick Time file with J. Leone demoing the guitar at www.eastwoodguitars.com. It has coil-tapped P-90's, an awesome concept, and it works!
    Suggested retail $1549- 1199, so its not pricey. I hope not to cause a stampede.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  20. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I played a Peavey Jazz Fusion recently and was surprised. Nice guitar for the bucks. The last thing I need is more GAS, however...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.