1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster lover questions for Gibson ES owners.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by imwjl, Mar 8, 2012.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Hi,

I've got serious interest in an ES-175 or ES-335 with fatter neck but have always played my Telecasters most. Any of you with one of those find it sits in the case or gathers dust and the Tele gets the play time?

Any worries or nerves here is having to part with stuff to make such a purchase. I put 3 nice guitars an amp on Craigslist and already have more interest than expected.

My last trip to Dave's to buy a Gibson had me come home with another Telecaster but some ES tones still strike an unknown or intangible here.

At another level I did anti-GAS and got down to one each of mahogany and rosewood acoustic and like the idea of two main and different electrics.

Thanks for any Gibson insights.

:)

2. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

It's tought to beat the 2-guitar combination of a Tele (or Strat) and a 335. That gives you one solid body guitar with single coils and one semi-hollow guitar with humbuckers. Not a lot of tones that you can't find between those two guitars.

I think that both the Tele and the 335 would get plenty of play. Mine do.

3. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Great combo. Do it.

4. 20texas20

20texas20 Tele-Meister

It's a must ...

5. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Best of both worlds for tones. And the 335 is a great guitar to just stare at, too, lol.

6. imwjl

This is driving me crazy. I got the Strat, got the humbuckers with my PRS Hollow Body. Deciding to give up the PRS to do this is almost too much for my brain.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

my ideal collection would have an example of each guitar (type) ... including Strat and Tele, LP, full hollow and semi-hollow bodies ... that covers it pretty well ... oh, and i like acoustics also ...

8. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

For rock or blues gigs I always take a Tele and a 335, and I use them both about equally.

For some reason I rarely play the 335 at home - I always seem to reach for a Tele!

9. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Mine too...

10. romo

romo Tele-Meister

I took the plunge for a 335 about 5 months ago. I find my tele's are gathering dust.

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

My only suggestion would be that before you decide on a 335 check out the high end Japanese 335's. The Ibanez "JSM 100" and the Yamaha "SA 2200" sell for less and in my opinion are better guitars.

12. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

Well sorry to say this but I`ve had a 335 for over 20 years, and up until I got my strat , it was my only guitar. Then when I got my strat I hardly ever played it.
    Then I got my tele, and its the only one I now play, sad isnt it...

13. imwjl

Yes, I stopped by Full Compass yesterday because they have a show room studio in their new facility. Did exactly that and have to admit the quality and prices of those and Japanese Vox and Gretsch we're impressive. One of the 335's at my GC store is a junk show costing 100 - 200% more by some measures but a few Gibsons really did impress.

I also tried a used ES-135 that had flaky pots but it was an eye opener. It seemed between 173 and 335 territory for fraction of the price and really good. One landed at Dave's but was gone in a day. Some Heritage I tried seem same way.

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^ I've got a Yamaha SA 2200 and a Gretsch T-Rose. They cost $800 less than my ES 137 Custom and I like them better.

15. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

I think it is a "fit your hand" type of thing.
    I've had a 55 ES 175 single pu for 25 years, and didn't get teles 'til about five years ago.
    But I have also had a Country Gentleman for 30 years.

Each has a markedly different neck, but of course you get used the the change in a few minutes. I like having the variety of sound available, in my playing it is an easy trade for neck shape change.

16. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The ergonomics of playing a thinline are *much* different than playing a Tele. Make sure you get along with that or your 335 will be neglected. Some folks do, some folks don't. I've been on both sides of that fence.

17. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

My "335" is a Yamaha SA2200. When I purchased it new (2005?) I felt that it was a better guitar than the equivalent Gibson, for less than half the price.

18. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't forget Heritage. The best 335s I've played have all been Heritages. Made my hand in the USA in the old Gibson plant.

Having been a Tele and 335 (well "535s" both of them) owner (before I sold the 335 because it was red....then sold the second one because the neck was too thin) both got pretty equal play. I stopped playing rock and blues on my Tele (mostly) and played them on the Heritage. There is no better blues guitar than a 335-type.

19. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

335's, meh. Had one for a while, it was nice enough, but then I got a thinline tele with a neck humbucker - it sounded better all round than the 335. The thinline even has a better jazz sound. I sold the 335 and bought a car with the money. No regrets at all, though in hindsight I would have bought a Toyota, not a VW.

20. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

A good 335 type (doesn't have to be Gibson either) is second only to the tele in versatility. Plus - at least on my '66 ES-335 - there's way more twang in that middle position than you might expect. It's less of a stretch than tele addicts might thing. As mentioned earlier, teles and 335 complement each other very well.
    MD

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.