Telecaster kit problems

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jameshasnoidea, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Jameshasnoidea

Jameshasnoidea NEW MEMBER!

I need help with my telecaster kit, I am currently getting no sound and when I touch any metal parts it has a clicking sound. And also if I touch either end of the cable the buzz becomes really loud. I have tried multiple wiring diagrams off the website and from YouTube but none have seemed to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can you post pictures of your pots ?

Either wiring on those or perhaps one got too hot soldering on the can has cooked one?

Those output jack solder points don't look the greatest but I think you have other issues than that.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Like above, those cheap switches cook easily, the negative wire on the jack doesn't appear to be making solid contact. The positive looks like the solder is on the wire but not the terminal. You can buy a cheap oak grigsby type switch for about $10 bucks on ebay.

Try moving the output jack wires while plugged in and see if any noise, if not reassess the wiring on the switch and try all positions on the blade to see if at least one pickup works.

You should also have a ground wire from pot to under bridge plate.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Looking at your pics I notice that the shielding (or gound) from the two wires is connected to the ground on the switch which is unusual to me (not necessarily a problem), but the long unprotected shielding may be causing a short circuit when you close the control cavity. I would protect it with tape or shrink wrap.

Don’t forget to check your amp, and guitar cable first.

The next thing to check is that your pickups are working correctly. It is not uncommon to find broken pickups (regardless of the origin and price). If you are soldering electronics, you should have a multimeter (a cheap one 10-20$). Read the resistance (ohm) of the pickup. If it’s zero or infinite you’ve found the problem.

Without a multimeter, unsolder the pickups from the control plate , and connect them one by one to the guitar cable and play through the amp. You juste have to tape the end of the wires to the tip and sleeve of the guitar cable.

Then with a multimeter it would be easy to check that the pots and switch are working. After that it is only a matter of following the schematics, if you have schematics for your specific switch. Different switches means different wiring. You need a multimeter to understand how your switch works.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All the above. And I know everyone's trying to be helpful... I am too, even when I say you shouldn't spend any time with that crap switch. Get an Oak-Grigsby or CRL. Some soldering practice is in order as well. Those solder joints should be smooth, shiny blobs. Even if you don't have problems now, both of those could be problematic down the road.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  6. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Sure but this is practice! I just opened my own first build and I am not very proud of what I found. In 9 years my soldering skills improved quite a bit. ;)

moosie likes this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, OK. Any of us can say the same. It's just that when there are possible faults, and there is nasty soldering... time to take a closer look, IMO.

LowCaster likes this.
  8. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

Hit all your solder joints again. Make sure you have a wire going from the bottom of the bridge plate to the back of a pot. Sounds like you have a ground problem.

9. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

I just built a similar kit. the grounds for the switch look right but I think you need to connect red an green wires to both free terminals on each side. What you need to do is strip those white wires back further and go through one and wrap it around to the next and solder at both spots.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.