Telecaster Homebuilt ehics

Storey

NEW MEMBER!
I have “built” a Tele guitar with a genuine MIJ neck and all Fender parts, except for the pick guard. The body is Squire. Refinished natural with gun oil, mat finish.
My question is; what are the ethics of calling this a Fender? I’ve left the original Fender logo on the headstock. It has the MIJ SN stamped at the base of the neck. Visible.
I’m sure I’ll never sell it. It plays great. I carved the body to have relief like a Strat. Front and back. It’s an after market, tortoise pick guard. I actually recall it’s Fender too. I don’t remember for sure.
I’ve always wondered when is it no longer a Fender?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 971D33A3-B583-40D4-88FA-828F2B122F58.jpeg
    971D33A3-B583-40D4-88FA-828F2B122F58.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 35

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Folks call their guitars Fenders with SD pickups, Callahan bridges, Gotoh tuners, and pickguards made from license plates. I keep my Fender guitars all Fender but none of them are as I got them. Call it what you want until you try to sell it. Then call it what it is.

Last edited:

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I have “built” a Tele guitar with a genuine MIJ neck and all Fender parts, except for the pick guard. The body is Squire. Refinished natural with gun oil, mat finish.
My question is; what are the ethics of calling this a Fender? I’ve left the original Fender logo on the headstock. It has the MIJ SN stamped at the base of the neck. Visible.
I’m sure I’ll never sell it. It plays great. I carved the body to have relief like a Strat. Front and back. It’s an after market, tortoise pick guard. I actually recall it’s Fender too. I don’t remember for sure.
Thanks.
If body and neck are Fender, it’s a Fender in my book. Modded Fender is an acceptable category, imo,

RickyRicardo

Friend of Leo's
People tend to get a little uneasy around here when you build it from scratch and throw on a Fender logo. Or buy a licensed neck like Warmoth and put on a Fender decal. My first partscaster was all Warmoth and I did that but at the time didn't know or even question whether it was right or not. For those situations I don't think it's right but for you I wouldn't worry about it. It's genuine.

Storey

NEW MEMBER!
People tend to get a little uneasy around here when you build it from scratch and throw on a Fender logo. Or buy a licensed neck like Warmoth and put on a Fender decal. My first partscaster was all Warmoth and I did that but at the time didn't know or even question whether it was right or not. For those situations I don't think it's right but for you I wouldn't worry about it. It's genuine.
It’s a genuine Fender neck with a soft V, I love it. It has a MIJ serial number. Probably worth more alone than the whole guitar.
I’m not trying to fool anyone but it’s been on my mind since assembling the guitar.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thanks.
I think you're to be commended for even asking......
There are so many layers of debate on this topic, that I even hesitate to get involved anymore. And, I've been on both sides of the fence for a number of years.
My first Telecaster is a 1993 Made in Korea FENDER Squire.....and it had the prominent Fender name on the head (as from factory) and the little "Squire Series" at the "bulb" of the headstock. That guitar has endured so much modification in the 20+ years I've owned it, I can't fully recall. When I put a Fender-licensed neck on it, I used a Fender decal.....and didn't think twice.
I've now had some faint second thoughts about that, and when I put together a partscaster in 2019, with a Warmoth Fender-licensed neck, but NOTHING else Fender, I used a different name. As good as it is (I prefer it over any Fender I've played) I don't want any confusion (or mis-representation) when I'm gone and my heirs are dealing with it. I'm also very proud of it, and when playing out, I often have people come up and ask about "Taz".......they wouldn't do that if they thought it was "just" a Tele.
I think in your case, you're good if you want to leave the Fender decal alone.....and personally I feel it's legit.
Btw.....I carved a forearm bevel in both my Fender and my Taz.....much more comfortable, IMHO. ;)

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Thanks.

It's a guitar you put together, for yourself, using some Fender parts, some of which will have the Fender logo.

Unless you are selling it (at which point you can disclose the information) you can call it whatever you like.

I call my vacuum cleaner a 'hoover' (as most people do in the UK) it's not a hoover though, it's a Vax ... I don't think that has anything to do with ethics though.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
You know, Fender is partly to blame for this. If their replacement necks didn't have the headstock decal but just had a brand burned on the heel like Allparts or Warmoth, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, methinks.

It's a Partscaster. It's a nice Partscaster, but still a Partscaster.

Ship of Theseus.....

Here's my Fender Ultra for sale, only has a replacement Fender neck - $2,000

Here's my Fender Ultra for sale, only has a replacement Fender body - $2,000

Greplington

Tele-Meister
If the neck is supplied with a Fender logo - leave it on. As others have said, it's really not an issue until you try to sell it, and at that point just describe it accurately and let the seller decide. If you're really concerned that someone may pass it on after you're dead, or that you may forget details or something, you could always write the details on a slip of thin paper stock and stick it to the back of the pick guard, or tuck it into the control cavity, or something like that?