Telecaster - Gretsch trade?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EuroBailey, Nov 3, 2019.

1. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Been off here for a while - ever since the app died but back on asking for some advice :)

I currently own two telecasters. A 2012 52 hot rod telecaster (mia) and an 83 telecaster. I am probably in a position where I cannot justify another guitar but I’ve always really wanted a gretsch - particularly a Cadillac green duo jet.

there is currently a gretsch 6128 tcg for sale in aus in Cadillac green in mint condition and my 52 hot rod is also in excellent condition.

purely from a price point do you think a straight swap trade is fair ? The 52 was around 3k in aus when I bought it (and around 1600 US at the time) - the duo jet I believe is around 1600 in the US and a hell of a lot more here!

I am yet to play it and understand that with a more vintage spec guitar it might be trickier to play then my 52 but just weighing up if people think that is a fairly fair trade or there will mot likely need a cash input.

not sure if I can actually part with my 52 as I probably won’t be able to buy something like that again once we start a family but I also love my 83 so it kinda makes sense to get something different... dilemmas !

2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Sounds like it’s fair or maybe a good value for the trade (though I’m no expert), but there is no way I’d do it. Maybe others will feel differently. I guess it mainly depends how you feel about your 52HR. How does it stand up against your 83?

EuroBailey likes this.
  3. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sounds like it's faded a few shades. Sun exposure?

4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

dollar value it seems like you're in the ballpark, though it's hard to tell with currency conversion & export & etc etc. I would not do that trade, personally, as I had to have a Gretsch & picked up a really nice Tennessee Rose and it sat in the case for ten years till I sold it. Every two months or so I would get it out & play it for a while & remember what a great guitar its was and then I would go back to playing my Fenders. It played great & sounded great & it sat in the case. You may be the person who flips out at the sound & feel of a Gretsch & plays that instead of the Tele in which case more power to you. But I found switching back & forth to be difficult, and I was never ready to let go of the versatility, ease of play & killer sound of the mighty Telecaster.

EuroBailey likes this.
  5. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Ditch the '52 for the Gretsch AFTER you've played it and have decided that you dig it.
    Keep the '83.
    My .02.

EuroBailey likes this.
  6. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

1. You can always justify another guitar. Ask anyone here.

2. You will regret trading your 52 HR Tele.

3. It sounds like a fair trade.

4. Definitely play the Gretsch first. It may make the trade moot.

5. If it doesn’t work out now and you still want the Gretsch, there are plenty of other Gretsches in the sea.

Good luck!

EuroBailey likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This past week I played a bunch of import Gretsch guitars and felt like they were pretty good but not really great.
    The construction makes them more expensive to build so at the same price the US Fender might be a better quality guitar.
    I do really want a Gretsch but there was some little sub par detail with all of them.
    Not familiar with the model you want though, I’d just say you need to try before you buy and not assume dollar equals quality.

EuroBailey likes this.
  8. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

The 52 is a dream to play... its a beautiful guitar but almost so nice i sit in the case more and use the 83 as my work horse (which whilst heavier is also a lovely guitar). It might be a better idea to keep the 52.... and find an electromatic version of the gretsch in cadillac green when/if thats get reissued. If i do the trade, will definitely make sure i play the gretsch for quite a while to make sure i love it.... the guy i have had discussions with, i approached and he is not sure he wants to do it but just trying to get a feel if its something i actually want to do. Thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts

telemnemonics, whoanelly15 and NewKid like this.
  9. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep them both. I made my own 52 Hot Rod 20 years before Fender. Love that Firebird pickup in the neck. I also have an 83 Tele with it's weird top loader bridge. Great guitar. Somewhere along the way it too got a Mini in the neck also. Couldn't see parting with either of them

telemnemonics and EuroBailey like this.
  10. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Fender Japan made '57 Reissue Silver Jet 6128T. I've played many Gretsch guitars at New York guitar shows over the years. These Japanese made Gretsch guitars are just as good, if not better, than most of the late 50's and early 60's examples.

[​IMG]

11. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

So I’m a Tele first, Gretsch second guy. I have 8 Teles/Esquires and currently 5 Gretsches.

I have no hesitation in saying trading that ‘52 Hot Rod for the Gretsch is a good trade as far as market value and build quality goes. Both are fine guitars. But the pro-line Gretsch guitars are just on another level.

Will YOU like it more? Only you know. And I would only trade if you’re OK with the risk or you play it and know you like it. But even if you don’t bond you’ll be in a slightly stronger trade/sale position.

If you do like it, suddenly you’ll have a great 82 Tele AND an excellent Gretsch on the arsenal. That’s a great combo.

12. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Make sure the Gretsch is all that you think or been dreaming it is before you go for it.

Gary

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you can get a straight up swap you're getting a bargain. A Terada built Gretsch is a much more expensive guitar new and secondhand than any 52 bar a CS. Gretsches are great. The necks are brilliant - Fender scale with nice fullness but flat for bends.
    I have a first model 97 Setzer Hotrod. Great guitar. Surprisingly versatile.

14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I'd try it out and if it didn't blow me away, I wouldn't do it. If it did, I'd go for it. I'd still be left with my #1 guitar. But if I was even for a second doubtful, I'd pass.

There'll be others.

EuroBailey likes this.
  15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’d ditch the Tele in a heartbeat for the Caddy Green Duo Jet. I think the trade is fair, but I’m thinking Stateside.

What do you expect a Jet to be? I think many people want or think it’s going to be Les Paul alternative/killer. The new Electros and Player’s Edition are more that. But a vintage style Jet, the Vintage Selects, and IIRC, the TCG are more like the originals. Think little hollowbodies, and not because of the extensive chambering, but due to the thin ply top that virtually floats off the back. Unique sound and character. I love it on my ‘53VS Duo, soo good.

I suppose if that doesn’t interest you, it’s better to just get an Electromatic, but it won’t have the Dynasonic sound, and will be more solid-body like, and it will be hard to find in Caddy Green without buying a Proline model.

MIJ Prolines are some of the finest instruments made in the world, but they won’t have a thick neck. The ‘53VS is better in that regard, it’s pretty healthy (I have specs), and the TCG will probably be similar.

EuroBailey likes this.
  16. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I love Fenders but I also love Gretsches. Dollarwise, that would be a good trade for you I think......but, giving up a really nice Tele might be something you could regret down the road.

Gretsches are a whole different thing vs Fenders, and very cool and fun, but there are a lot of different models and sounds. My advice to anyone really interested in Gretsches, is to first try as many as you can to get a feel for what body type you like - there are quite a few variations in hollowbody size, cutaways, and thickness......and of course the Jets are different altogether. Then there are pickups - HS Filtertrons, other "tron" humbuckers, TV Jones, single coils such as the Dynasonics, and so forth.

Of course, I realize the OP may already have done this or is sure that the Caddy Green Duo Jet is exactly the Gretsch he wants. Also, not sure how readily available Gretsches are in AU...……..
    Sorry - guess I'm not much help:)!

The other thing I'll say is that Korean made Gretsch Electromatics are really nice guitars and reasonably priced, but the Japanese manufactured Proline models are excellent guitars and at a whole different level.

EuroBailey likes this.
  17. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Tele and Duojet are sort of different animals, good luck on whatever you decide on.

EuroBailey likes this.
  18. wizard_23

wizard_23 TDPRI Member

Gretsch guy first, Tele guy second, and also in Australia so feel like I have a sense of the market. As others have said, that trade is stacked in your favour. And Dynasonics are awesome!

I personally am not a fan of the Melita/Synchosonic bridge, but that's an easy change for a tune-o-matic or bar bridge.

EuroBailey likes this.
  19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Gretsch all the way, they play like butter and have a sound all thier own. LOVE my two. Tennesee Rose and 6120 Mk II.

EuroBailey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.