1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster forearm contour looks damn stupid

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Aug 4, 2018.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You guys who are adding on the binding, after the contouring is done, have got it backwards.

What I would like to see is a fully, conventionally bound double bound T body, where the "craftsman" removes the offending wood and binding as a later step, and obliterates the binding in some areas (careful not to tear any of the binding loose). I think that would have real gravitas. I fail to see what the fascination is in a nonstop, continuous band. So what it is tapers down and ends, only to restart later on? Everyone knows it isn't "real" binding like an acoustic.

Who will be the first one to do it? Or, who has done it already?

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Okay - no binding and shall we say an "unusual" finish, but James Tyler has done this on a Tele-type (although this aesthetic is most often found on his Strat-types"):

[​IMG]

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I could reshape those headstocks for Mr. Tyler.

Sure would increase their appeal to me.

Owenmoney and Jim622 like this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The scary thing is that one has the smaller of the two Tyler headstocks - some of the Strats have basically 1 more "James Tyler" on them.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

It is a weirdly non-aesthetic design. The headstock looks like a hand trying to fingerblast a girl.

6. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Agree with ya on the forearm contour. I like have the guitar around the abdomen area so I like the solid body to dig into. I could never get into the thinline's. The pickguard and f-hole are unappealing to my eyes.

7. BlackbirdBeatle

BlackbirdBeatle TDPRI Member

IMG_0264.JPG

Jeff Beck would disagree.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  8. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

One of the coolest Tele designs Ive ever seen! The binding makes it wear that forearm cut proudly, and it looks fantastic! If I ever get one made/assembled I am so stealing that idea!

To the OP: I can deal with no forearm cut, but I can easily get ulnar nerve pain and a forearm cut is infinitely more comfy for me and many others.

macatt likes this.
  9. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

10. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

I was surprised when I found out that USACG could bend the binding around the forearm contour when I asked them if they could do it.
    They did a beautiful job.

I also asked them if they could make me a Tele style neck but with my favorite carve which is the shape of the Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Again, they came through with flying colors.
    USACG was a great company when Tommy was still there.

S Mac

11. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

I'm doing a Tele build with a mahogany T-body of unknown origin with a rubbed oil finish I picked up from Reverb. It has the forearm and tummy cut contour, but both are exceedingly well-done. Almost suspected it was a Rondo Douglas T-style body, but those guitars are either ash or alder and Rondo ferrule holes are weirdly staggered (for tuning/intonation is my guess). Maybe an 80's Aria, ESP, Schecter, dude-made-it-in-his-basement...???
    Mahogany Tele Body.jpg Mahogany Tele Body2.jpg
    I'm pairing it with this Warmoth ebony Tele neck (io"-16" radius) I've had laying around:
    Warmoth neck.jpeg

and it's going to be finished off in black hardware, like the Planet Waves tuners on the neck, no visible chrome. Will post pics in a month or so. I like the Warmoth 'Turtle' logo, so I call these axes 'Turtlecasters.' :)

Attached Files:

LocoTex likes this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks nice.

Rondo didn't always have staggered ferrules & i've never seen a Douglas with the contours that I recall. The SX had the ash contoured body. There's no telling with Kurt though.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  13. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

This is definitely a well-matched two piece mahogany body. Me Likely :)

14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

If the originals had contours it would be blasphemy to not have them. I wouldn't choose to have one but my Telecaster has a belly cut. Life goes on.

15. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

As with almost every other variation one can have with a classic, iconic guitar... different strokes for different folks!

That looks fine to me. I have no problem with it at all. Just as I don't have a problem with that on Strats. Belly cut (rib cut I call it - as I play sitting) and forearm contour are nice improvements to a slab of wood. I like how the Strat body melds into your own.

That said... I like Teles without the cuts, as well. :D

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    glmino and t guitar floyd like this.
  16. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Belly cut is fine, but arm contour makes it look ugly. I rather tele had more rounded body than contour

17. KadoshKaos

KadoshKaos TDPRI Member

Guilty!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

t guitar floyd, rob5755 and Nubs like this.
  18. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I think the debate as to if a belly/arm cut is a concern for looks, is a nonstarter for me and has to do with age. When I was younger I thought, a Strat, with all its contours were an obvious advantage. But I'm the opposite, as I like the contourless Tele better. Sometimes with all the contours in place, a Strat brings up a startling problem...will I miss the strings because of the skinny contours? I know it's a paranoid fear, likely related to my initial learning on acoustics, like dreadnoughts.

I can't miss a thing on my Baja, and its piano-like string clarity, neck shimmers, and behind the nut bends seem way cooler than a bothersome floating bridge, with a tremelo and the ultimate skinny contours which I don't need. I am already skinny. The pickups on a Strat sound like a lawnmower humming instead of a normal musical note. But I own 2 different era Strats, so go figure.

As for looks, I don't wear a guitar like jewelry. I will never think a look is that important. If I did I'd have all black finished guitars, because they will obviously match anything in my wardrobe. I like to look at my burst-finishes more than the single color finished guitars, but that's it.

TOM bridges are blasphemy on a Fender... an abomination for sure. Just a lovechild of the devil and Leo Fender...AAAARRRRGGHHHHH!

19. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I’m counting on God to do the right thing by intervening and striking down all of those owning a contoured Tele and committing to burning every offending guitar.

Does anyone want my sea foam green tele with TV Jones classics and [gasp] forearm AND tummy contour? I don’t want the be the last person standing there when He decides who to free and who to blame.

20. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Wow! You sound like a really cool dude! Uh . . . who is Tom Bridges? o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.