Telecaster for sale but serial no doesn't come up on Fender Website, should I be worried?

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I tried this site and it says made in Mexico 2009-2010.

https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-fender_eng.php

Those are worthless. All they do is tell you what the letters mean. They can't tell you if it's a legit serial or if it's just a serial number that's been created by scammer. They have no database. All they do is see that "insert serial number" decodes to the 1800th guitar built on the 575th day of the year at the Ensenada plant and its says its legit.

Except they never made 1800 guitars in a day. And there aren't 575 days in a year. But those garbage websites don't know that because they don't run on a database of known serial numbers. All they know is you typed in these letters and that those letters, according to their list of E=Ensenada C=Corona etc..., means it's a legit serial built on the 575th day of the year. Except it's faker than silicone breast implants.

Seriously. All they have is a list that says

A = xxxx
B = xxxx
C =XXXX
ETC...
ETC...
ETC...

and then they take the digits you put in and they tell you what those digits mean. They're WORTHLESS as a dating tool or anything else. As my example earlier showed, the serial could decode to the 1800th guitar built on the 575th day of the year at *insert plant here* in *insert year here*, and the garbage websites tell you it's legit. They have no database. All they do is define the info you give them, whether it decodes to legit results or not.

Last edited:

ClashCityTele

Tele-Afflicted
Those are worthless. All they do is tell you what the letters mean. They can't tell you if it's a legit serial or if it's just a serial number that's been created by scammer. They have no database. All they do is see that "insert serial number" decodes to the 1800th guitar built on the 575th day of the year at the Ensenada plant and its says its legit.

Except they never made 1800 guitars in a day. And there aren't 575 days in a year. But those garbage websites don't know that because they don't run on a database of known serial numbers. All they know is you typed in these letters and that those letters, according to their list of E=Ensenada C=Corona etc..., means it's a legit serial built on the 575th day of the year. Except it's faker than silicone breast implants.

Seriously. All they have is a list that says

A = xxxx
B = xxxx
C =XXXX
ETC...
ETC...
ETC...

and then they take the digits you put in and they tell you what those digits mean. They're WORTHLESS as a dating tool or anything else. As my example earlier showed, the serial could decode to the 1800th guitar built on the 575th day of the year at *insert plant here* in *insert year here*, and the garbage websites tell you it's legit. They have no database. All they do is define the info you give them, whether it decodes to legit results or not.
Except it seems pretty accurate in this case.

gwjensen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
this came up for me on the fender website.

The serial number details provided below are exhaustive of what Fender Musical Instruments Corporation has available at this time. Please note that not all serial numbers are included in the lookup function for various reasons, however this is not indicative of any lack of authenticity. As a result, we may not have any other details related to your search inquiry.

Search Results
No.
Serial # Model # Description Date
1 MZ9573551 0131212307 ROAD WORN 50'S TELE MN BLD 10/2010

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
Fender's serial number finder is case sensitive. If you input mz9573551 you won't find it. The letters have to be capitalized- MZ9573551. That's true for all Fender and Squier guitars

LunarSF

TDPRI Member
Several years ago I called to find the neck specs for a 2003 master built tele that I bought used with no documentation. Fender answered and said they had a few guitars listed with that serial number, including (possibly) mine. And no idea on neck spec, it wasn't documented.
It's not fake, I'm not worried, nor surprised. Big company, been in business a long time. Just the way things happened. Had similar issues with 1996 Gibson historic, not so much with serial but with sourcing the original parts (hinge for factory bigsby). They lost all the documentation and no one could ever find out what it was or who made it. Tried all the outside experts and they didn't know either.

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister
Last edited:

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister
It's here and it's absolutely wonderful.. I've restrung it cos the strings had a 50 year vibe to them too.

The only thing I'll change is putting brass saddles on, but not until I've measured it all up as the setup is fantastic and I want to replicate it.

Thanks to all who helped, I'll probably upload a 'new gear' thread with more images but here's one to go on....

IMG_20211113_135008.jpg

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks, that made me laugh :lol:

My gut says if you're going to fake you're not going to fake a Mexican but I'm still a little concerned.

See, here’s the thing. If no one can tell it’s a fake because it’s that good, does it matter to you now, or anyone later, if it is a fake? It could change hands forever, being played and enjoyed by each successive owner as a MIM roadwork, doing no harm to anyone.

MendaFender

TDPRI Member
Thanks, that made me laugh :lol:

My gut says if you're going to fake you're not going to fake a Mexican but I'm still a little concerned.

Depends on how it plays, how it feels to you, and how much you have to pay for it. You can value a lower priced guitar by what it does in your hands.