Telecaster for metal

Adrianofrr

TDPRI Member
Hello all,

This is my first post so I'm very sorry if this has been posted before.
I have a situation with my guitar, got my first fender guitar a year ago, a player series which I have modified a bit to fit my necessities (and refinished), I put a pair of vintage noiseless pups in it with a 4 way switch, I really like the sound of the neck pickup but I'm in need for something that allows me to play some heavier stuff at the bridge position and in series.

I cannot decide what bridge pickup to put on my guitar, I've seen the chopper t, area t, area hot t, bareknuckle, etc, but I'm not sure what to get that allows me to play some metal and that's compatible with the 4 way switch. (Noiseless obviously).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-12 at 6.18.14 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-12 at 6.18.14 PM.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 92

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
4-way compatibility isnt an issue. Assuming you are staying single coil. I would suggest the Bill Lawrence Wilde L298TL. Scroll down for description.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Welcome Aboard! I think you are on the right track a hotter (or two hotter) pickup(s) and a four way or push/pull to run them in serial. I have a T with a P90 and a SC with the serial on a push pull at the tone knob...I think a four way might be less wonky. Pink rules!

Adrianofrr

TDPRI Member
Welcome Aboard! I think you are on the right track a hotter (or two hotter) pickup(s) and a four way or push/pull to run them in serial. I have a T with a P90 and a SC with the serial on a push pull at the tone knob...I think a four way might be less wonky. Pink rules!
Would I need another kind of knob for that? I'm totally clueless about this

Slap Axe

Tele-Meister
Have you tried what you have? I just picked up a Wampler Dracarys high-gain pedal and wow I’ve got no shortage of heavy tones from my American Ultra Tele with its stock Noiseless pickups, even without using series mode.
No kidding. With the right amount of gain and a noise gate, I can turn just about any guitar I own, tele included, into a pretty good metal machine.

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
You can use a multimeter to determine if the new pickup will be ‘in phase’ with the other pickups.

For metal the electronics are done last.
The frets need to be leveled and the nut cut very well for whatever string gauges and tuning you use. The setup has to be very good. This is all paramount if you want a good metal guitar.
I use noiseless single coils but my guitars are loud even unplugged and set up very well. That’s what seals the deal for metal guitars.
That tele has a long scale length, perfect for metal. The strats are less twangy.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
nothing wrong with pink ;-)
if you would opt for a humbucker style single coil size pickup in the bridge, maybe a multiwire could help?
i have this in my guitar.
L500 bridge, L280 neck
4 way switch N>N+B>B>N+B in series.
BUT i have the L500 connected to a miniswitch that puts it in series with itself ore parallel.
so total of 7 sounds

but first i would ask here on this forum if your amp/pedal setup needs some tweaking.
maybe a EQ pedal that you can have cheap from behringer (a clone of a Boss GE7)

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
ain’t nothing wrong with a pink guitar! I got plenty of high gain sounds using Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds. The bridge is alnico 5 at 17k. Plenty hot.
This was before my swap to Bootstrap Pretzels
cRNdhic.jpg

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Would I need another kind of knob for that?

Actually, you need another volume or tone pot with the push/pull switch built in. BUT, (I reread your original post)...if you already have a four-way with the ability to put your pickups in serial, it is not needed. One or the other with the right wiring will get you there.

As I noted, I have a couple of guitars with a push/pull...if you already have serial through a four-way, I'd roll with that thinking it may be a better arrangement.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Get any fuzz pedal (Fuzz Face or mini clone, many $30 options out there) rolled back to 'clean up' as much as you want and you'll make your amp as heavy metal as you need. And/or stack gain pedals. I like this video because he says "here's my amp, it's set depressingly clean" then starts stacking tones.