Telecaster Electro socket

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I use the Electrosocket on all my tele builds now. Mine have all had pine bodies so they screwed right in with no drilling necessary.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I think I'm sold! My only hesitation is I've standardized on all Nickel hardware, and I don't see a Nickel option. 🤔

But that's not the standard. Most parts on a Tele are traditionally chrome, except for a few parts. I'm pretty sure the original milled jack cup was chrome.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
But that's not the standard. Most parts on a Tele are traditionally chrome, except for a few parts. I'm pretty sure the original milled jack cup was chrome.

Yeah. What I understand is that you're likely to find a mix of chrome and nickel hardware on the early ones. I'm putting together my own line of affordable semi-custom vintage t-styles and I decided to standardized on nickel for streamlining my own process and for having a starting price point.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Yeah. What I understand is that you're likely to find a mix of chrome and nickel hardware on the early ones. I'm putting together my own line of affordable semi-custom vintage t-styles and I decided to standardized on nickel for streamlining my own process and for having a starting price point.
I get it, I do the same on my own guitars. Nickel stands out like a sore thumb on a guitar with mostly chrome hardware and visa versa. Brings out my OCD and makes my brain itch :eek:

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I was just talking with a guitarist about 'em today.. that vintage cup is a joke and should have been dumped as soon as technology allowed for making the electro socket at a competitive cost...
Ever since my first electric - '62 Esquire my dad gave me as a kid - the stock jack cups have been a PITA. You'd think Fender would have had enough "feedback" from pissed off Tele and Esquire owners over the decades that they'd upgrade this one crucial part - but NO. I don't know if it's "nostalgia" or corporate cheapness or both, but it's the first thing I swap out on any Telecaster. Simple elegant solution to a bonehead design flaw. For twelve bucks with a Pure Tone jack included, which I'm guessing is also probably a better part than the stock Fender dreck.

And this is yet another reason why I'll never shell out thousands for a "Made in 'Murica" Fender product. Ever.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I get it, I do the same on my own guitars. Nickel stands out like a sore thumb on a guitar with mostly chrome hardware and visa versa. Brings out my OCD and makes my brain itch :eek:

It does, but certain things look wrong to me regardless, like chrome strap buttons or chrome Kluson type tuners.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
You'd think Fender would have had enough "feedback" from pissed off . . .
I can only assume they subscribe to the same customer relations input as Gibson with their easily removable headstocks...:p

But really.. there are a number of "issues" consistent with the technology of the 50's that could be easily eliminated with modern technology coupled to modern manufacturing processes, but NooOOOoooooOOOOooo..

Beebe

Tele-Holic

And the strings are Nickel, so they match too when I go all Nickel. Plus Nickel has a warmth that looks a little more vintage to me, even if it isn't. But when I go Chrome, I go all-Chrome as well (except for strings of course).

Inkman66

TDPRI Member
"Standard size" should actually be called vintage correct, if at all. how they built them, way back then.
it costs extra if you want to have your way and isn't metric. View attachment 984087 View attachment 984088
only three countries on this world are avoiding the metric system. some tried hard but failed miserably, because change...
Actually...I believe it's technically called 'Imperial' or 'Metric' sized...The imperial sized one I got was actually pretty cheap, too.

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
I maintained the 1970's standard [poorly chromed & lightly corroded] jack plug dished receptacle, however removed the internal serrated jack washer which positioned the jack body a few mm further out of the dished recepectial

This then allowed a standard 90 degree jack plud lead to be used & securely locked into the jack spring lock finger

Using a close-fitting hex drive socket to tighten the external jack washer against the dished recepectial will ensure [I hope] to never loosen

Should be a standard for new builds....saves a lot of frustration with broken or loss on conductivity with the common straight plug jacks

P1230015.JPG

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Used one on my Esquire build. They're pretty awesome. My CV Starcaster has a nut that constantly loosens on the jack, and I'm considering using one there, too.
Yeah, I love the Electrosocket jack cups! I've got them on all my Teles and one Squier too.

Beebe

Tele-Holic

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
How do you remove the Rutters Cup? I'm thinking about trying these out but would like to know how to remove it first.
It is pressed in. You would have to buy or make some kind of puller.
Something similar to this from Stewmac. Rather than the fitting on the knob end, just run the bolt through the cup and put the washer and nut on the backside of the cup.

I have done something similar to this with a long bolt, wingnuts, fender washers, and a length of PVC pipe.

3515-1-3000.jpg

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I never gave much thought to the standard socket and generally don't mod my guitars. My 2020 Fender Parallel Universe II TELE® MÁGICO came with the Electro socket and I like it.

gwjensen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Electrosocets all the way! I have a CS Postmodern Tele that came stock with one, so apparently Fender's Custom Shop likes them...

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I put one in my Squier Bullet Tele and the screws didn't bite quite as hard as I would have liked, but it hasn't moved after I reseated it recently.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
How do you remove the Rutters Cup? I'm thinking about trying these out but would like to know how to remove it first.
Electrosocket removal is forbidden, and monitored closely. The electrosocket police detect removal attempts, and will find and lock you up. :cool: