Telecaster Electro socket

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
Used one on my Esquire build. They're pretty awesome. My CV Starcaster has a nut that constantly loosens on the jack, and I'm considering using one there, too.

Fuggle

Tele-Meister
I bought an Electrosocket for my Baja a couple years ago, thinking I’d surely need it, but haven’t installed it yet. The stock cup is holding up fine, and the right angle plug on my favorite cable fits. But should it ever start getting loose, in goes the Electro.

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
They're a good design, but I've never seen the need on my baja. The stock socket is perfectly stable, and all my cables fit.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
I like to use an Xacto knife to mount them flush.

Attachments

• 20220514_100451.jpg
    20220514_100451.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220514_100516.jpg
    20220514_100516.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 82

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I was just talking with a guitarist about 'em today.. that vintage cup is a joke and should have been dumped as soon as technology allowed for making the electro socket at a competitive cost...
^^This^^ I'm all for vintage correctness, but the first time you have an original Telecaster jack cup fail on you at a gig, you'll be more than happy to pay the price, and drill the holes for the Electrosocket!

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've tried all kinds of stuff. The typical electro sockets with a Switchcraft 11 and a lock washer won't work with my Boss wireless WL-20 transmitter. A regular Tele jack cup is too deep to work with the WL-20 also.

Here's the caveat with the Rutters shallow cup that no one seems to mention. Part of the jack is surrounded by the section of the cup that extends into the body. This can sometimes cause the exposed tip terminal (where it's sandwiched between the insulators) to ground out on the inside of the jack cup. It's happened to me nearly every time.

PXL_20220514_155158878~2.jpg

On my T types that don't have a flat jack cup area, I use these.

005-0100-049.jpg

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I've tried all kinds of stuff. The typical electro sockets with a Switchcraft 11 and a lock washer won't work with my Boss wireless WL-20 transmitter. A regular Tele jack cup is too deep to work with the WL-20 also.

Here's the caveat with the Rutters shallow cup that no one seems to mention. Part of the jack is surrounded by the section of the cup that extends into the body. This can sometimes cause the exposed tip terminal (where it's sandwiched between the insulators) to ground out on the inside of the jack cup. It's happened to me nearly every time.

View attachment 983313

On my T types that don't have a flat jack cup area, I use these.

005-0100-049.jpg
That is only possible if you don't shim the jack. You want the end of the jack to be flush with the nut on the frontside.
I leave the two washers and the nut on the jack as shims and use another nut on the front side of the cup to secure it.
I have done it this way on dozens of Teles and I have NEVER had a problem with it.
You will want to use a Switchcraft L11 long shaft jack, shimming it as pictured will push the terminals in question beyond the barrel of the cup so that they cannot make contact with the sides.
The BOSS WL-20 ought to fit this configuration just fine. I had the system for a short time, sent it back as I kept getting the flashing red light of death. Even the replacement they sent did the same thing. I use Line 6 G30 now, couldn't be happier.

20220514_162632312_iOS.jpg 20220514_162752383_iOS.jpg 20220514_162706587_iOS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@bobio that's a Switchcraft L11, not the standard 11, but that's a good idea for anyone using that jack cup. My solution was just to paint the exposed metal around the wafers to insulate it.

I've had zero issues with my WL-20 in the years I've had it. I gig with it on an almost weekly basis.

WalthamMoosical

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
thanks for all replys .
one more thing .can i use the origial jack plug
It depends. I discovered that there is more than one threading of ... these sorts of cups, probably Imperial vs. Metric. You might consider buying the cup & jack as a set just to be sure, or else ask enough questions to make sure the threading of the cup you get matches the jack you already have.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
@bobio that's a Switchcraft L11, not the standard 11, but that's a good idea for anyone using that jack cup. My solution was just to paint the exposed metal around the wafers to insulate it.

I've had zero issues with my WL-20 in the years I've had it. I gig with it on an almost weekly basis.
Duh, you are absolutely correct. That is a long shaft Switchcraft L11, not the standard short shaft Switchcraft 11.
All of the Switchcraft jacks in my parts bin are L11s. You would want to insulate a Switchcraft 11 as you found.

Last edited:

wyclif

Tele-Afflicted
The Electrosocket jack solves the problem cheaply; you'll never have to replace it and it won't fall out.

However, the Rutters jack is nice piece of hardware and better looking if you don't like the screws and are OK with spending a little more.

Viper

Tele-Meister
One of my Teles has one, the other doesn’t. It seem to make no difference and I wouldn’t have given it a moment’s thought if not for seeing this thread. The Electro socket is more substantial, if memory serves, but they both work fine.