Telecaster Electro socket

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I put them on new builds. I haven't needed to change a stock Fender cup...

I stick the jack socket right up so it fits all plugs...

electrosocket1.jpg

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I just like the way they protect my guitars body. I sometimes miss the hole when I'm plugging in. These allow for such a mistake without screwing up the finish.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I use em. I'm not super excited about how the screw holes get drilled. I'm never 100% confident on the angle of the drill.

I also use the long switchcraft jacks, so they work with 90deg plugs. If you use these, make sure you use a flat and lock washer on the inside. If the jack sticks out too far, you won't be able to access the screws cleanly with the driver.

You also need to worry about making the imaginary line between the screw heads parallel to the body, or at least I do.

I'm liking that Rutters cup that @bobio posted on right now. If they are secure, which I imagine they are, it might be worth the extra $$ for me to not have to be concerned with the issues above...and they look real nice!

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I use em. I'm not super excited about how the screw holes get drilled. I'm never 100% confident on the angle of the drill.

I also use the long switchcraft jacks, so they work with 90deg plugs. If you use these, make sure you use a flat and lock washer on the inside. If the jack sticks out too far, you won't be able to access the screws cleanly with the driver.

You also need to worry about making the imaginary line between the screw heads parallel to the body, or at least I do.

I'm liking that Rutters cup that @bobio posted on right now. If they are secure, which I imagine they are, it might be worth the extra $$ for me to not have to be concerned with the issues above...and they look real nice!
I use the Rutters Shallow Twisted cup with long Switchcraft jacks. That combination allows me to use ANY cable without issue.
They are far more expensive than an electro socket, but you get what you pay for.
Marc is a small businessman and a true craftsman 👍👍

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I use the Rutters Shallow Twisted cup with short Switchcraft jacks. That combination allows me to use ANY cable without issue.
They are far more expensive than an electro socket, but you get what you pay for.
Marc is a small businessman and a true craftsman 👍👍

I think I'm sold! My only hesitation is I've standardized on all Nickel hardware, and I don't see a Nickel option. 🤔

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I think I'm sold! My only hesitation is I've standardized on all Nickel hardware, and I don't see a Nickel option. 🤔

I know he makes them in Nickle and Chrome, maybe he just doesn't have Nickle at the moment? I have bought Rutters Cups from this seller before when Marc was out of stock. Marc builds in batches and sometimes there is a bit of lag between batches.

Last edited:

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I may be one of few here that get along just fine with the stock style cups. I had to use StewMac’s tool on a couple and put stiffer inner pieces into a couple of Squier Standards. But after installing them carefully with good parts, they have lasted me years. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I may be one of few here that get along just fine with the stock style cups. I had to use StewMac’s tool on a couple and put stiffer inner pieces into a couple of Squier Standards. But after installing them carefully with good parts, they have lasted me years. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

Same, I use a little loctite and they are fine. I have Electrosockets too. Both are fine with me. I tend to leave in what is there but if the body has nothing, I put in an Electrosocket.

May have to try the rutters though.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I was just talking with a guitarist about 'em today.. that vintage cup is a joke and should have been dumped as soon as technology allowed for making the electro socket at a competitive cost...
Yes, but just as I start wondering, why such a subpar device, then I think of the jack that Mr. Fender (or someone at G + L) came up with for the ASAT. That one, that one is a real head scratcher.

+

Btw, I like the Rutters substitutes and I also have maybe 30 of the Glendale press in jack cups on various guitars (some Fender, some Allparts, some Tommy Rosamond). Just wanted to say, caution to guys with Highway One bodies - the bore is a little oversized; these press in cups were not specified to cope with that IMO.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Oh yeah. They’re totally fine on guitars that come that way from the factory. I wouldn’t be rushing out to “upgrade” that. But on new builds.. it’s a must for me. Trying to fit in the bracket and line it up.. major pain, and I failed. 7 dollars and 5 minutes of installation time, electrosocket types are so much simpler.