1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster deluxe wiring issue

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by EricG84, Jul 10, 2020.

1. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,

First post here so hopefully i'm doing this the right way.

I was trying to mimic a wiring diagram from Seymour duncan but all i get is a heavy buzz (static or bad ground noise) and no thump on the pickups at all. I did notice that if i touch the input jack hot tip with my fingers, it makes a very loud buzzing noise.

I'm using widerange humbucker from eyguitar. My understanding is that the hot is black, red and bare are grounds, white and green tied together to close the loop.

Note that the input jack was inserted the wrong way in the pictures attached. I can also get better pics if required.

From the pictures, It also seems like there's a short on my three way switch, but I assure you that there is no short there.

This is my first soldering job (i'm sure you can tell lol). I'm really at a lost here as i feel like my wiring is exactly the same.

Someone has any clue as to what may be the cause of my issues.

Thanks!

2MH_3G_2V_2T.jpg 20200709_204231.jpg 20200709_204251.jpg 20200709_204254.jpg 20200709_204300.jpg

2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

Do you have official documentation or a meter to confirm this? It's very unusual.

EricG84 likes this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Welcome!

I wired a deluxe with unshielded cloth wire. Noisy as hell until I put it in a shielded guitar. You have a couple of yards of wire in total there picking up interference. That might not be all your issues, but it’ll be a contributing factor.

EricG84 likes this.
  4. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

Hi!

So i removed the pickup after seeing your message.

Black and white are a pair, black being positive.

Red and green are a pair, green being positive.

So I think this would make sense that black would be my hot, red would be my ground, and the white and green tied together.

Is that accurate?

Eric

5. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

Hey!

I'm okay with a hum or even noisy... i could potentially switch to shielded cable or shield the guitar itself. but I get no output whatsoever right now. Putting metal on the pickups, i do not hear any thump, nothing at all in fact.

6. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

Almost.

Each coil of a humbucker is just a big coil of wire with a lead attached to the start and the finish. The two coils are joined leaving you with one wire from each coil serving as hot/signal and ground respectively.

Each coil has opposite magnetic polarity (one will have a north polarity, and the other a south)

The tricky bit is that even though the two coils of a humbucker have opposite magnetic polarity, the second coil is not reverse wound. So when you combine the two coils in series (North Start>North Finish>South Start>South Finish) they do not hum cancel and you end up with a humbucker minus the bucker.

The solution is to reverse the polarity of one coil by swapping the leads, usually the south coil, so you end up with North Start>North Finish>South Finish>South Start.

Now back to your pickups. If we reverse the polarity of the second coil we end up with this configuration:
    -Black will be your signal wire (North Start)
    -White will be your North Finish which connects to the South Finish
    -Red will be your South Finish
    -Green will be your ground wire (South Start)

This would correspond to the most common humbucker color code, which is Seymour Duncan's:

[​IMG]

EricG84 and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  7. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply.

Your explanation makes sense. I will give that a try but one thing I should have mentioned is that the green and white were twisted together from the factory. I wonder why they would do that if that's incorrect.

I'll give this a shot tomorrow and do an update here.

8. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

They must have used a different color scheme. As the picture above illustrates, the colors are not standardized which is a constant source of irritation for consumers, so it's especially important to have a grasp of the humbucker wiring concept.

Yours would seem to correspond to a color scheme that Peavey uses.

EricG84 likes this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Got a link for eyguitar? Google search produces nothing useful.

That's normal. Try it without a guitar. Just plug into an amp, and touch the cable tip.

Re your problem of no output, every one of your grounds looks suspect to me. Not for sure bad, but questionable. You're likely not using a hot enough iron. A 40W iron is the bare minimum, and that with a very clean, well-tinned tip, with no corrosion or oxidation on it. Even then, you may have to finesse it a bit. To get a perfect shiny blob with good connection to the pot shell, you'll need a 60W iron variable temp station.

You can diagnose it pretty quickly with a cheap meter.

EricG84 likes this.
  10. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

Here's the link to the pickups in question:
    https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Tele-...er-PickupAlnicoFor-Tele-72-Guitar_p_1473.html

I set my iron at 380 degrees. It does go all the way up to 480... should i be using a different setting?

I did test all of my connections using a meter, so while the soldering is ugly, it does seem to be connected properly.

11. moosie

Assuming you mean 380 Celsius, that's good for all but the pot shells. The mass of metal acts as a heat sink. Crank it to 480 when you do those connections. Rule of thumb is to use a lot of heat, and be on and off the part in three seconds. Too little heat, and you have to linger to get the job done. Even though it's technically too cold, that much time on the part transfers massive heat, enough to damage.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    EricG84 likes this.
  12. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I'll crank up the Iron and can redo the pot shells connections just to be sure.

moosie likes this.
  13. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

No deal... i rewired the humbuckers, re-did all of my connections/grounds with nice joints, no luck.

I put it all together tonight anyway. I don't know what else to do so i guess my next step is to bring it to someone who knows what they are doing.

It was an old beat up mexican body that i refinished in nitro, warmoth neck... looks nice but it doesn't play lol

20200711_215539.jpg

14. moosie

You've never got a single sound, right? Bypass the switch, by placing a jumper across all the input/output lugs. Both pickups should be live in every position.

If you get sound, the problem is the switch. If not, then I'd leave it jumpered for now, and move on to one vol pot.

Proceed methodically, isolate each thing, and assume nothing.

EricG84 likes this.
  15. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Number one problem, to me, is that you have the jack plugged into the socket from the wrong side. The plug should enter from the side with the thread on it, with the tip coming out on the side where the wires are soldered.
    They way it is in the photos, both the hot and the ground will be connecting to the sleeve of the jack, and the tip won't connect to anything, so you'll just get hum.

EricG84 likes this.
  16. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

Hey! Thanks for that. I know, I did mention this in my original post ;)

One thing, I finally received a message from the manufacturer. He says that red is hot and black is ground. Would it make a difference (no sound) if those were reversed? I checked with a meter 3 times to make sure that the polarity was right.... i don't understand anything anymore.

17. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It also looks like you have the bridge tone control wired wrong. It should look like the neck tone control with the right hand side of the cap (in your picture) grounding to the back of the pot (not going to the rh tab of the pot) and then have the ground wire connect both pot casings.

EricG84 likes this.
  18. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Sorry! I was just excited because I thought I'd seen the issue.

EricG84 likes this.
  19. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

Hey. Yeah that's because the pictures are bad... both caps are connected on the middle tab of the pots and grounded to the back of their respective pots.

20. EricG84

EricG84 TDPRI Member

I'm throwing in the towel. A guy nearby builds guitar and pedals for a living so i contacted him and he's just going to redo it all for me. Curious to see what he may find was wrong.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out and while I didn't fix the problem, i did learn quite a bit of useful stuff!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.