1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster Deluxe Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Chantre, Jul 10, 2009.

1. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe

mine's a RI, a recent craigslist bargain. I'm gonna replace the pots with 500k, but a pretty nice guitar as.....

[​IMG]

2. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Tele-Meister

Mine is a 78 that was refinished black.

[​IMG]

I stripped off the black to reveal the original blonde underneath.

[​IMG]

After a lot of chipping away, acetone, and wet sanding, it is now pretty much restored to it's original finish.

[​IMG]

3. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

dear god this thread is right up my alley! The first pic of an old sunburst model looks like it has blocked quite a few beer bottles!!!! I'll hafta settle for my walnut RI until i can get an old one.

4. TonyBabagan00sh

TonyBabagan00sh Tele-Meister

Here's my '72 RI. I replaced the black pickguard with a red pearl one

[​IMG]

5. syow

syow Tele-Meister

i played a ri in sea foam green today, nice.

6. jokerman

jokerman TDPRI Member

here is my 72 RI (roadworn) just picked it up at matt uminov guitars on bleeker street... i am so much in love with it... but pickup and pot swaps are a neccesary mod for sure...
    but once that is done i feel i can get it to state to rival a vintage usa deluxe?
    that nitro finish is boss as hell!!!!!
    sorry about the crappy iphone pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

Triple Wow... :eek:
    Gorgeous, all of them.

8. indiemojoe

indiemojoe NEW MEMBER!

I just picked up a '78 in natural (faded nicely to almost butterscotch) and thought the knobs were aftermarket until I saw yours, Pacafeliz.
    I lifted the guard to find the bridge volume pot had been replaced with a Dimarzio 500k at some point... grrr. For the price I got her, I cannot begin to complain. I am on the Hunt for an original 1978 CTS 1 meg split to get her back to herself. Please let me know if you have/ come across one!

9. 77deluxe

77deluxe TDPRI Member

Hey everyone I just picked up this highly modified made in USA deluxe.

I finally own a Tele!

Most of the mods address the typical problem with other fenders (Strats) I've owned.. The ability to stay in tune for more than 48 bars.

This guitar won't win any "all original" contests but I love the sound it's pure Telecaster !!

This one appears to be factory routed for the Strat Tremolo system does anyone know if that means it actually had a factory tremolo? Or did they router every body the same?

Attached Files:

10. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Why oh why do I click on threads about lovely guitars I don't own!

I was cured until 5 mins ago. Now I got it bad and it's you guys fault!:p

11. TDFiend

TDFiend TDPRI Member

just picked up this 78, and had it restored back to original specs. It came with a MIJ neck pup and didn't have the originals pots. I am blessed to live in the same state with the one and only TELENATOR, so I brought it to him and restored it back to the original spec pots and neck pup, rebuilt out of existing vintage parts and hand wound it to original spec. I also had him set it up and sprinkle magic lutier dust on it and this guitar sounds incredible!!
    I've been a fan of Tele Deluxe's for about 9 yrs now and bought a 72 reissue in Walnut back in 04, I've played these guitars exclisively for the last 7 yrs and will probably play them til the day I die! I love these guitars!!!

Attached Files:

12. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

SO I have an RI BUT I am also looking to buy an original I just found yesterday to become my main guitar and the RI will become my back-up. All I know is that since I was shown the light of the 72 Telecaster Deluxe I have never really wanted to play anything else... A friend I used to work in the ER with was helping me decide on a new Electric guitar and as I was describing the things I wanted/liked he just stoped me and said "so you've never seen a Telecaster Deluxe have you???" SO I went and found one at a shop and it was love at first play... I LOVE THEM. SO much so I'm actually e-mailing the guy who's gonna sell me his original RIGHT NOW and get the ball rolling so I can check out the differences between mine and a Vintage Original. Can anyone tell me what to expect versus my 2000-something RI???

I'll go so far as to call the TD the most under-appreciated guitar and one of the best tonal values in the entire Fender catalouge. I've heard people say "those AREN'T Tele's, they're bastardized Fender's made to be Gibsons back when Gibson was killing Fender in sales..." (seriously those exact words have been uttered several times in refernce to my guitar) BUT then I hear something like what the guy said the other night during our set-break at a gig... the sound guy walked up and squinted at my guitar and said "I thought that's what I was hearing... I had one of those back in the day and after hearing that thing tonight I think it's time to get another one...how are those Re-issues??? You're sure making that thing SING!!!" I thought that was both a neat compliment to my playing AND to the guitars magical tonal qualities. Yeah, they don't quack like a standard Tele, but then I'm not playing the type of music where that's an assett...

OT Rant, but it's semi-related to this thread:
    Gotta love the SEARCH function on these sites :rolleyes: I searched the EXACT title of this thread and it was still the 10+ thread down the list. Others included things that have NOTHING to do with the amazing guitar that is the Tele Deluxe.

Anyway, here's my baby: 72 Telecaster Deluxe MIM RI - Walnut stain:
    [​IMG]

...and this is a really cool picture my Fiance took of me PLAYING the Tele-D:
    [​IMG]

...Me playing "the guitar of all guitars" at an early gig with my band Chautauqua.
    [​IMG]

...And a little "nod" to Woody Guthrie with a modern twist (espescialy suited to Portland OR) It says: "This guitar kills hipsters" HAHAHAHAHA (Woody's said This guitar kills fascists" come to think of it, that will ALWAYS be relevant aye...)
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Dave

13. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH now THAT is pretty aye!!!!!! Not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of the "pearlescent" stuff, but it just WORKS on this guitar. Very good looking guitar mate, I love it.

It's making me re-think having a black one around as a (would be) 3rd Back-up. There sure seem to be alot of the Black RI's on Craigslist quite often. I always feel like e-mailing the sellers and telling them to stop before they do something they regret. I know I'm a bit "over the top" in love with these guitars (for good reason I think though) but I can't see ever having one and WANTING to let it go. now admitedly a few of the add's say something to the effect of "I wish I didn't have to sell this but..." . But just as many or more say something to the effect of ",,,just don't like the tone this guitar gives..." or "not my style... or: it's too much guitar for me" which boggles my mind seeing as you can get SO MANY great tones out of this thing... Even more when you get into modding it (something these guitars seem to have been MADE for, more so then many other guitars). TO me it has all the positives of a Les Paul and/or and SG but none of the problems (weight-LP, innotation problems with the set-neck, trouble staying in tune-SG's mostly). Plus astheticaly I think they're just strikingly awesome guitars. Tele body+Strat neck and "belly cut" + Dual wide-ranges = one sexy machine. I will admit though, the controls can get a LITTLE much to handle for me on stage sometimes. I have put a small rubber band on the volume controls so that they turn together (think of a tank tread connecting the two wheels/knobs) so I don't have large volume spikes when I go from the neck to the bridge and blend positions (or when I accidentaly play to "WILD" and hit the switch...ok that's another potential "not to great" thing about the guitar but that's true of ANY 4-dial guitar with the switch on the upper bout...)

bah, I'm rambling again. BEAUTIFUL guitars guys. I ESPESCIALY love the "natural finnish" 77 up there... VERY pretty aye. (the 73 I'm looking at is the "not what I would choose" sunburst I belive... I think it may get "Nash'd" ;) ) I've already confirmed that they'll take one on as a custom one off if I suply the guitar.... I go to check it out on thursday. Then I have a gig on Friday night so HOPEFULLY I'll be playing my "new" Original 73 Tele-Deluxe... Fingers crossed aye...

Cheers

Dave

14. The Salt

The Salt Tele-Meister

Here's one I bought back in 98... They dont build them like this any more!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Thierry255

Thierry255 NEW MEMBER!

Hi !!!
    This is mine ; I'm totally in love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have just one little question... I would want to change the tuners.
    Can you tell me what kind I could buy ?

16. jackleg

jackleg Tele-Meister

i own a '73 model... i have never been able to set the string height to my liking.. just can't seem to get the action comfortable... any suggestions??

17. Thierry255

Thierry255 NEW MEMBER!

Sorry but it's a professionnal who cares of my guitar, so I haven't any idea for the action.
    And for my problem of tuners he's not able to help me...

18. Thermostrat

Thermostrat TDPRI Member

Just wanted to add my git fiddle to the bunch of beauties being strummed and picked here. 2011 60th Anniversary Butterscotch Blonde American Deluxe Ash...

View attachment 122408

2012-04-03 16.43.55-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  19. cmcoram

cmcoram Former Member

Proud new owner of a stock 2007 '72 Tele Deluxe RI. All black. It is the Tele I've always searched for.

20. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

That's my boy! 72 Deluxe ftw!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.