1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster Deluxe 72 vs Cabronita

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by HunterTheHunter, Apr 12, 2017.

1. HunterTheHunter

HunterTheHunter TDPRI Member

Here's my current problem: I have a Gretsch Electromatic hollowbody with TV Jones classic filtertron pickups. I dislike how dark, growly, and "behind-a-blanket" it is. In general I prefer single-coils, but I'm using this guitar for thicker lead lines and I need humbuckers here. Here's my question: Is that growly quality more attributable to (A) the hollow body or (B) the filtertron pickup?

If it's (A) the guitar, I will probably go for a Cabronita (filtertrons in a solidbody). If it is (B) the pickups, I will probably get a Telecaster Deluxe with the WRHBs. What say you?

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It's you.....! Just kidding, but it sounds like you really just prefer single coils. TV Jones Filtertrons are bright humbuckers. If they seem too dull then I dont think putting them in a solid body will satisfy you. You might be getting some low frequency body resonance, but the fundamental character of the pickups should still be driving the tone, IMO.

3. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Those are treble voiced pickups. If you find them dark, you may have an amp problem.

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

What are the pot values in your Gretsch?

You described what my Squier Cab sounded like with the stock 250k pot in it... no growly ...behind the blanket. A 500k pot did the trick for me in that case.

mikeyb likes this.
  5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Not necessarily, it's actually possible for a 'brighter' pickup to sound flatter. Doesn't seem to make sense at first, but when you think about the resonant peak, it makes sense. Here's an example. You have a very low inductance pickup @ 1.4Henries. This gives you a resonant peak around 7Khz with a short low capacitance cable. 7Khz peak seems like it'd be bright on paper right? Well it would be if typical guitar speakers reached that high, but they tend to roll off around 4-5khz sharply. Now, with that in mind, the resonant peak of this 'bright' pickup is being shaved off by the speaker. Now, suppose you use a longer cable, that pushes the resonant peak to around 4-5khz. Now the resonant peak is in the speaker's bandwidth and the guitar will sound much sharper and brighter.

BTW I'm using 1Meg volume, No load tone in my cabronita. It still sounds pretty dull on the neck pickup and I believe fully that it is for the reason explained above. The bridge pickup is hotter, over ~2.8Henries, and it has a much sharper tone because the resonant peak is within the speaker's bandwidth right around 4KHZ.

6. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Back a few years I owned a Gretsch 6122-JR (essentially, a small-body 6120) and I own a Thinline Cabronita, now.
    I wouldn't describe either as "dark" - and definitely not "behind-a-blanket."

Based on that, I'd say your darker tone is due more to the guitar itself, as opposed to the pickups. But I don't have any direct experience with the Electromatic hollowbodies, other than trying them out in local stores. So take that for what it's worth (~$0.02).

I also own a '72RI Thinline and, if anything, that guitar has a bit more low end than the Cabronita (mine has the stock Fender Fidelitron pickups). Again, neither is anywhere near the dark-sounding end of the spectrum.
    FWIW, I have 500K pots in both guitars. And I play both of them a lot.

Not sure if any of this is helping at all, just sharing my experience with guitars and pickups similar to what you're considering.

7. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I think the issue is that it the guitar is an electromatic and therefore the quality of the pickups kinda sucks! If you like the guitar- simply replace the with the Gretsch pro line and you will notice a big difference.

8. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

The Electromatic pickups have been accused of sounding like "import humbuckers" and "not Gretsch-y", so I'm betting they don't deliver filtertron, and it's definitely not just you.

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

He said it has TV Jones pickups in it. I have a 5127 Electromatic with Dynasonics in it and it is plenty bright for my tastes, but Dynasonics are single coils.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  10. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Ah, you're right, I sometimes forget details in the first post after looking up references on my phone.

11. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I don't find TV Jones classics dull at all so I have to wonder first if the OP changed the pots and what the rest of his setup is like. Mayer playing a CS version of the Cab with TV Jones classics sounds very close to single coils:

Whereas one with a tone control (I presume 500k) sounds a tad warmer but not dull:

Granted, I can't see what positions Mayer is using in his Cab but it sounds like he plays the bridge and neck at various points in the song. It's easy to see the Cab is a bit brighter and twangier but by no means is the Double TV Jones dull. Getting the WRHB opens up a whole new can of worms as the RI WHRB are really lacking in most people's books. Most people haven't tried the newest one's with Shawbuckers though, so perhaps those are better?

12. Mxrk

Mxrk Tele-Meister

I'm finding that filterTron pickups are incredibly sensitive to their proximity to the strings. Generally if I'm unhappy with the sound on a given day raising or lowering the pickup usually gets the sound where it needs to be for me. It will never sound like a single coil, though.

13. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

I think the dullness that you are talking about is actually due to the absence of a loaded resonant peak in this pickup type. For example, the Fender Fidelitron has only a 0db peak at the loaded resonant frequency of 5.0 kHz - flat in other words. There is no significant peak there to be masked or unmasked by other devices in the chain. It's due to massive eddy current losses due to the abundance of steel.

14. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

"behind a blanket" sounds like you're getting a sub 2kHz cut off. That's not the pickups, it must be something else.

15. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

To your last point, I own both a 72 Deluxe RI and Cabronita. The Deluxe is built better, and the two sound remarkably similar (both are stock). The stock Fenders on the cabronita are not very Gretsh or TV Jones-ish- and a set of TVs cost what I paid for it.

To your first point- are your PUs properly installed and wired? Many DIY installs are almost FUBAR.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.