1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster Custom 72, how to balance the middle position?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tommasogezz, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Tommasogezz

Tommasogezz TDPRI Member

Hi everybody,
    I own a MIM Tele custom 72. When I play in the middle position, I get the sound well balanced only when both the pots are at 10. Once I turn down the volume pot of one of the pups the sound just switch completely to the pickup that I haven't touched. Is there a way to always get a good mix of the two pups even rolling down just one of the pots?
    Thankyou in advance to all the great experts will aswer my call!

2. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

That is just the way Customs are. I have a 75 custom, with original 1 meg pots and pickups, so this may not work on the MIM RI, especially since the MIM's uses 250 k pots and those pots make the humbucker sound muddy. Switching to 500k pots all the way around will give you a more usable, less muddy tone with the volume rolled back. I play my 75 in the middle position 99% of the time. Neck pup on 7, bridge pup on 8 to 8.5. This gives me a nice even blend and chords sit well in the band mix and it has plenty of chime. To solo with twang and bite, I roll up the bridge pup to 10, switch still in the middle, neck still at 7. To solo with more body, I roll up the neck to 10, bridge still on 8 or 8.5 and the switch in the middle.

3. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

I've got a 74 Custom with the Seth Lover HB. I can record with both pups and have found different combinations I like. But its so touchy to balance that I play just one pickup live.

4. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

You have to balance both volume controls. That's just the way those guitars work.

5. Tommasogezz

Tommasogezz TDPRI Member

Thankyou for the precious informations! I already had my volume pot changed to 500k but, even if the sound of the neck has improved a lot and now I really like it, the blend is really difficult!

6. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

I have mine wired in a 50's les paul independent volume and tone for each pickup configuration. The original Fender wiring has these controls acting dependently on each other. With the way I have it wired, it is very easy to adjust the volume of each pickup. If you are using the standard Fender wiring configuration, I would follow the advice of spankdplank and just mess with it a lot until you have found your desired blend. I've considered at some point going back to the original wiring and giving it another go, but right now I like the 50's LP wiring.

7. Tommasogezz

Tommasogezz TDPRI Member

thanks a lot for the suggestion.
    I'm just coming from a gig I've been playing and I'm very happy of the sound I got in the middle position even if had to regulate the pots before starting the songs and for boosting in the solos I had to move to the single pickup.. I'm very interested in your modified wiring: I know normally the pups on a Custom 72 work in parallel. In your wiring you can also put the pots like 1 and 10 and hear the blend? How is the volume with the pots both at 10? Do you still hear something if one of them is completely turned down?
    many questions..I know.. but I love the sound of this guitar and I'd like to improve it until its best!

8. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

+1 ... Tony Mellichampe wired up my '75 Custom (custom!) that way, because of exactly your experience that I didn't want to repeat! I wanted the ability to independently 'blend' those pickups, to get exactly what I wanted from ever amp I used.

Attached Files:

9. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

I didn't know that...Is it like that on the mid-70's guitars or just the reissues.

(And Hongaku, do you know Charles Atkins?)

10. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Well, at 1 and 10, you're not gonna get much in the way of anything audible from the pickup that is set to 1...
    As for being able to turn one pup completely off using the volume control whilst still getting sound out the other pup - yes, absolutely; that was kind of one of the points of wiring it that way. Easier to blend them together all around.

TeleKato, I think I've mentioned it to you before, but that white custom is the dogs bollocks! Very, very nice!

Martin R, yes, the 70's ones were wired with dependent controls too. Indeed, I've met Mr. Atkins and jammed blues with him a few times out at the Pearl before they shut it down to expand Cap Circle, and also at the Silver Slipper a couple of times. Nice guy, good musician ;)

11. Tommasogezz

Tommasogezz TDPRI Member

Thanks everybody,
    Telekato, your guitar is fantastic!
    Can you please tell me how to modify the wiring to get that effect?
    Is there any schematic somewhere?
    I'm going to post some recordings I made with the guitar...
    From her I can get almost every sound I like.
    I just play it trough a Ibanez St9(the one with the middle boost form the first 80's), a Rat distortion, a russian Big muff and a Custom audio mc 404 wah
    finally in Fender twin reverb custom 15(the one with the 15 inches speaker)
    The sound is amazing, really fat on the neck pickup, relly bright and balanced with the bridge and almost everything else in the middle..

12. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

That certainly explains a lot. Thanks.

And Charles played in our R&B band about half the time. He's awesome. If you see him again tell him I said hi.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.