Telecaster Custom 1975 or Custom Shop Relic 62 Ltd Ed (year 2009)? This is the question!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by asquinet, Jan 23, 2020.

1. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Hello friends,
    I am in GAS for TWO guitars at the same time!!!!
    1) Telecaster Custom 1975 (not modern, real 1975) in very good shape, all original, untouched, with its OHC;
    2) Telecaster CS Relic '62 Limited Edition made in 2009, all tags, certificate, strap, OHC.

Here two pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both has very good sound! The 1975 Custom has interesting neck P.U. with "gibsonish" sound; the neck P.U. is bright and has not well-know feedback problem that aged Teles often suffering.
    The CS has the neck P.U. a little bit stratocaster-oriented and less volume than Bridge P.U. (Or maybe is neck p.u. normal and bridge p.u. more powered, I don't know...)

The C.S. has strangely a six saddles bridge, a non-sense for a supposed '62 re-edition; I think a substitution, what do you think about?
    The 1975, although in those years was introducted six saddle bridge, has luckily yet three saddles (personally I HATE six-saddle bridge...)

If is relatively easy find informations about features and prices for Telecaster Custom (in effect maybe it is a little bit overpriced), on the other hand is very difficult to estimate Custom Shop Teles, due the multitude of models, a lot of serial (R, V, CS... this model is CZ), not strictly following the years, because I have seen CZ even in 2018... Relic, NOS, heavy relic....Somebody of you could tell something about the intricate world of Custom shop??? Edit: In this case, what does stands for "Limited Edition"?

Last but not least: 1975 costs 3900 Euros; 1000 euros less the CS.

I am very confused.... if I could, I would buy both.... but of course it's impossible.... I have in mind a big indecision; it is a considerable expense and I would do the best picking up one only!!!!!
    Please what could be your choice and why?

Thank you!!!!

2. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

If you can manage, try one of these before playing. I couldn't care less about the sound if the neck doesn't feel right in my hands...

asquinet likes this.
  3. diego_nu

diego_nu TDPRI Member

BE cerafull with the weight in the 75!

asquinet likes this.
  4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I’d go with the 75 Custom mainly because it is more different from the Am Pro tele I already have. Also it is the same age as me and appears in as good a shape or better. :lol: Its a good problem to have.

asquinet likes this.
  5. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

If i were you, i would grab that '75 Custom, it's lovely. CS can come and go, rather plentiful, but the 7'5 is a nice one imo

asquinet likes this.
  6. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Obviously you’ve tried both guitars, and liked them both.
    You’re the only one able to solve this dilemma, but let me try 2 things:

- From a strictly objective point of view, the CS has nothing fancy, it is really a regular CS model (and a very classic tele design). The 75 stands out more.

- If you have difficulty picking one above the other, it is perhaps because none of them is the one for you. When you bond with a guitar, you feel it deep inside.

asquinet likes this.
  8. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

'75, easy choice.

Some of those Tele's & Strats that came out of Fullerton in the 70's are incredible guitars. Thought the prices have crept up they're nowhere near "vintage" prices per se.

Do it!

BB and asquinet like this.
  9. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Thank you. Interesting argumentation. But I have not told the story from the beginning.
    I have seen this 1975 some months ago, tried, and fallen in love. But... in that period was not the moment principally for budget reasons!!!!
    Yesterday I went to the shop with the fire of decision and... "Look who arrived today!" told me the boss. I never considered custom shops before yesterday, I always considered a "poor attempt to remake something of aged with discutible results". But... also thanks to the lower price of around 1000 euros I said to myself: "well, this CS is not bad at all..." and I wrote this topic!!!!

10. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Thank you! Yes, although it would be a little bit high price, maybe it could be the last chanche to buy a Tele Custom, before CuNiFe last madness takes hold...

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Then you’ve got the answer I guess: the 75 it is.
    With the CS you save 1000 usd today, but you will forever have that 75 in your head.

asquinet likes this.
  12. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

The 75. Not a fan of relics or sunburst Teles. Plus it compliments your other 75.

asquinet likes this.
  13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the '75 Custom.

No contest.

asquinet likes this.
  14. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

asquinet likes this.
  15. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'd be a bit wary of the 75'. IME, I remember when I was a kid Fender gave guitars to the guitar players in the band I was in at the time. We hated those bullet truss rods, they were always a pia to keep in tune. I had a tele, plus we had a strat and a pbass....all were problematic, especially at outdoor gigs. After a few months we put them away and went back to our old Fender's. ymmv....

RJ

asquinet likes this.
  16. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

That would be an easy choice for my - I really like maple and I am indifferent to rosewood. If the frets are okay on the 75, and the weight is acceptable, I'd go for it! If it's quality, you will feel it!

asquinet likes this.
  17. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

Ignoring the monetary value of each instrument for the moment, my preference would be the 62. The 75 looks nice and all but is missing a single coil in the neck. I should mention that I also have a Gibson SG so i can get all the humbucker action i want, whenever i want . Also, I've never seen eye to eye with the larger pickguards and those four knobs.

asquinet likes this.
  18. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

75 all day every day

asquinet likes this.
  19. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

1975. Not only does it match your lovely other 1975, but a Custom is a really great "second" Telecaster to have (I have a 1973 Custom)

asquinet likes this.
  20. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I have a six saddle 1975 Fender Tele Custom as well which I purchased only last summer and it really was amazing to play at a gig.

I thought about selling it if those just ammounced "original 70s Telecaster Customs" with CuNiFe neck pick up are well received because I want a rosewood fretboard. But that will be a while as I want to see how the new (old) model is received once it finally starts shipping. If 75s are going for that much in Italy I might bring mine down to sell the next time I go back to Piemonte if I get the new version from Fender. (Although the way "Custom" is written on the headstock of the new Fenders annoys me slightly.)

So yes, another vote for the 75 Tele custom!

asquinet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.