Telecaster Bridge Pickup lowers volume on tone change

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Mauma, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:32 PM.

1. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

Hi!

I have an AM STD MIA Telecaster from 2011 60th Anniversary

Model Name: American Standard Telecaster®
    Model Number: 011-0500-(Color #) and 011-0502-(Color #)
    Series: American Standard Series
    Body: Alder
    Bridge: American Tele with New American Standard Bent Steel Saddles and Stamped Brass Plate
    Pickups: 2 American Tele® Single-Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups Position 3. Neck Pickup
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Delta ToneTM (The Delta ToneTM System Includes High Output Bridge Pickup and Special No-Load Tone Control)

The bridge pickup is the one without a base plate, just a screw in the bottom that goes in the pickup.

I bought it used but in mint condition (the neck and body)

My concern is that when I play with the bridge pickup, as it's too trebely, I tried pulling the tone down but it also lowered the volume considerably, very noticeable not just a db.

If I do the same on the Neck pickup, which is awesome by the way, the tone changes nicely without any volume change as expected.

Is this normal for the bridge pickup or is there an electrical problem I should solve?

Thanks!
    AA

Attached Files:

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Shunting some of the pickup output to ground will indeed cut some output, but it sounds like yours is excessive?
    Could be a solder blob on the switch, or a changed tone cap?
    Could also be a solder blob on the pot but then it would do the same on both pickups.

Look at the wiring on the control plate and see if anything looks redone, extra blobs of solder on other signs that look out of place.

3. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

Ok! I'll look at it and maybe upload some pics when I have the guitar back.

Yes it's excesive, it lowers the volume A LOT just on the Bridge Pickup

4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Out of curiosity what happens in the middle position?

moosie and telemnemonics like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OK I'll take a look later and see if I spot anything, as others likely will too.
    I may not see it though unless you quote me again or just type the # before my user name which will alert me.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not untypical really , but maybe you have a pot that is a bit weird so effecting volume more heavily in part of the sweep?
    I've had multiple pot issues over the years; goes off at 4-5 rolling down, Jumps from 0 to loud withing a couple of numbers on the dial. (not at the typical 9-10 spot) etc.

7. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

I haven't tried the tone pot in there, good point. I'll try it as soon as I get it back (it's at the luthier right now)

But volume and tone in 10 the middle position sounds amazing too... the only position I don't quite like is the bridge alone, its too much treble, that's why I wanted to attenuate it with tone but that volume drop it's annoying.

Maybe it has something to do with the base plate, as I've read this pickups were put on some 2008-2011 models to use with lots of distortion or overdrive and avoid issues.

I wanted to check out everything possible setting before actually replacing or doing something to the setup.

I'll let you know how it behaves and maybe do a video for easier comprehension

Thanks

8. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

oh ok! Glad to hear that, I thought maybe I got a defective one. Maybe just replace pot or capacitor for other model will do the job then.

9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Did you mention that issue to the luthier that has it right now? I'd be pretty surprised if they wouldn't take a quick look at the wiring and see if anything is funky on there.

10. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

Ye
    Yeah! Of course, we tried it at his place too... But I was doing research on my side just for fun and for learning about the instrument.

Maybe it's something common on this kind of guitars, maybe there's something wrong, while I wait for him to get to my guitar I was doing some research and learning about pots, capacitors, circuits, etc.

Thanks!

11. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I'll vote on an wiring issue.:)

Mauma likes this.
  12. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I think no baseplate on the pickup is the issue.
    I have a couple Am Standard bridge pickups and through my experience with that pickup, I'd recommend you put a Tele baseplate on yours. In my experience, Tele pickups without a baseplate sound somewhat thin and shrill and a baseplate will beef up the low mids and take the edge off the highs and give that 'traditional' Tele tone.

For a standard Tele baseplate to fit, you will have to drill out the holes in the baseplate so they will fit around the mounting screw holders on the pickup, so it will sit flat on the bottom of the pickup. I'd also recommend attaching the baseplate with silicone adhesive (like Permatex Ultra Black), rather than the traditional wax, as the silicone will adhere to the plastic bobbin much better than wax. And, no need to ground the pickup to the baseplate, as the mounting screws do not touch the baseplate in this configuration.
    When done, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

I am guessing it might be easier for you to just get another bridge pickup that already has a baseplate? No shortage of good ones out there, just depends on the tone you are after.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:44 AM
    Mauma likes this.
  13. Mauma

Mauma TDPRI Member

What solder pen is recommended for telecaster circuits? Would a 40w do ok for ocassional fixes and configuration on the circuits?

diameter of the 60-40 tin rosin core?

thanx

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use .031" diameter solder.

40W will be fine, for all but the pot shells. You'll get them done, but they won't be as clean as if you used a 60W variable temp station.

Mauma likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.