1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telecaster Advice

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Man Of Tone, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Man Of Tone

Man Of Tone TDPRI Member

Hey Everyone! I need some advice about my telecaster, it is a Squire affinity, pretty sure its an anniversery model, it came black and white and I have had it for about 11 years. I have had several things changed about it, 6 saddle through the body bridge, new tuners, and Neck pickup, DiMarizo blue velvet strat I am pretty sure and I think a twang king ended up in the bridge. I was only about 13 years old when I had this work done so i cant be 100% sure whats in it but what I am getting at is it is my number one. As crazy as this may sound I havent found another telecaster that sounds better to me, it has my sweat, dings, war marks, and neck wear as well.
    I dont mean to ramble to much but this is very important to me. over the past several months I have noticed some small problems starting to develop with it which concerns me alot because like I said its my favorite guitar and I want to do play it forever but I know a few things are going to have to be done to it to make that happen, Please know that I havent worked on guitars much so Im learning as I go, just always focused on playing, and also I do my best to take the best care of it other than the natural wear so any advice is very much appriceated!

1. It has a 6 saddle bridge, Im going to say more of a modern one because it has the 2 allen screws for eash string, I have noticed that they along with the intonation screws are starting to rust. should i replace or will it be ok?

2. The pickup magnents are starting to show signs of rust as well which really scares me because I am really afraid that I wont be able to find the same tone with other pickups so I really dont know what to do here.

3. The small E string dosent respond as well as the rest of the strings for some reason and the B string has a buzz to it, kinda sounds like a sitar, dont know how to fix that.

4. the guitar overall doesnt sustain well, I dont know why that is.

5. the neck is showing cosmetic wear, I really like the look because it gives it character, what I am wondering here is, is it just cosmetic or actually hurting the guitar?

Thanks so much for all of your help!

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

They'll be fine. Replace them when their so badly rusted that you can no longer get an allen wrench in there to turn them. That takes a *long* time. In the meantime, clean them every once in a while to make sure gunk isn't built up inside the screw heads. Put the tiniest drop of oil on the sides of each screw to prevent more rust and keep them from seizing.

The pickups can work fine forever with rust on the magnets. Someday in the future (maybe decades) there may be enough rust that gets down by the coil to damage the pickup. At that point you have the pickup rewound.

Raise the pickup a little by the high E and see if that fixes the problem.

Does your B string buzz when you play it open, or when fretted, or what?

Could be a lot of things. Make sure that the neck mounting screws and bridge screws are tight. Is this a new development, or how it always was?

It's just cosmetic.

3. Man Of Tone

Man Of Tone TDPRI Member

Thank you for all the help Koko Tele, The B string buzzes open and fretted.

As for the sustain issue I would say that its been gradually happening over time but started getting noticible lately.

Thanks again

4. Sasz

Sasz Tele-Meister

Just a couple of things I was wondering:

Is there much fret wear?

Have you checked the set-up (relief, action etc) recently?

5. Man Of Tone

Man Of Tone TDPRI Member

Some of the actual are getting a little worn with slight indentions, but it hasnt affected the playiblility of the guitar, its mostly the wood darkening where it has been played alot.

I try to keep an eye on the action itself but just not quite sure how to do the rest, I had a guy do a check on it not to long ago. but could still need some fine tuning

6. Sasz

Sasz Tele-Meister

Ah, right, I was just wondering if there might be fret/set-up issues causing some notes not to ring out clearly.

If you wanted to learn more about how to check things out yourself the Fender guide is a good starting point:
    http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/telecaster-setup-guide/
    (Word of caution though: be careful about adjusting the truss rod, purely because in my experience the adjustment nuts on the affinities are a bit soft and apt to start rounding off if you don't use a good quality allen key that's the exact size).

As well as things like relief, action and pickup height, something else I'd have a quick look at are the bridge saddles - sometimes you can get odd noises from things like rattling screws/springs or a saddle that's worn at the string contact point.

7. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If the B string buzz doesn't change when you fret at different positions, there's likely something going on at the saddle. Sometimes you can get a burr that causes this, sometimes the saddle height screws don't seat properly, etc. Take a real close look and you should find it.

8. Man Of Tone

Man Of Tone TDPRI Member

OK Great, Thank you so much for all of your help I will check it out!:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.