1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Telebration Series Five Years In -- Value Proposition: Buy/Sell/Hold/Play?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleKato, Jan 25, 2016.

1. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

A little pretext for this thread:

TDPRI Telebration Owners Club: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/394235-telebration-series-club.html
    MusicRadar's site detailing the guitars series: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/fenders-2011-telebration-anniversary-telecasters-359163

What's your view of how, five years in, this series is aging with respect to value? Not trying to get favorites in terms of personal likes as much as viewing the guitars as investments.

Are there models you think, so far, are doing a better job of holding value? If you were buying one, and again not thinking about personal playing preference, which one(s) would you buy? If you have one, are you playing it, holding it in storage, or thinking to sell?

My own take is that, so far, these aren't yet increasing in value. I've seen some models, selling used, for the usual 60%-70% of original. I've also seen some models, selling 'as new' for list. Seen a few who have them priced above list (upwards of $2500). The latter two categories don't seem to be moving.

What's your take? Buy/Sell/Hold/Play?

Myself, I have an "Old Pine" model. I occasionally play it, and it now has Fred Stuart Blackguards and a custom 4-way assembly. However, the original pickups and the original control assembly are bubble-wrapped and can be transplanted back in to replace the mods and restore it to stock. I'm thinking to put it away and wait another five years.

2. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

There's a pawn shop here that has the Hot Rod on CL for $2,200. Seems expensive.

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have the Maple Top and the Rosewood Lite. The Maple Top is a great player. I don't think I'll ever sell it.
    The Rosewood lite though has a thin neck which I don't care for. It sounds great though with the '62 pickups in it. I may sell it in the future.

I have seen the same pricing as you Telekato. I think I'll hold onto mine for awhile longer.
    Hold.:rolleyes:

4. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

Play it if you like it, sell it if you don't like it. Those that were played a lot may become valueable one day. Not so much those that regularly appear on the used market, unplayed.

5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Over here they're aren't really holding their value anymore than any model. The modern thinline is pretty so it fetches around 70-75% of new price. The cabronitas are on the other hand more or less dead in the sea and fetch the same as a US std. An empress will fetch 200$ more than a us std.

In my experience people don't see them as anything other than us stds with kinky woods or pups and arent willing to pay for the telebration neck plate.

Flaneur likes this.
  6. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

My old growth isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

For a while I tried to find a Vintage white Empress but the prices were still a little high and they were hard to come by. I've since moved on. I've cut my Tele's from 6 to 4 and will be at 2 (or possibly even 1) before the year is out. No reflection on the Tele's per se, I'm just culling collection. My aim is to have a collection of varied makes and models: Tele, Strat, LP, 335 and possibly a Gretsch but more like a P90 hollow or semi-hollow body.

8. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Holic

I have the Browns Canyon which later became the Old Growth...My local dealer had 2 and I purchased 1 and returned it... went back and bought the other one.... Other then those 2 all I have seen are old growth models...not sure how many are out there.

9. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I love my cabronita. They relic easily. I don't care. It was the TV Jones I was looking for. I'd say play not hold. So many people make their own cabronita and they have cheaper versions out there as well as custom shop versions. It's not that it didn't sell well but that it's not as limited in the greater sense.

10. telo

telo Tele-Meister

Guitars as investments is a mug's game. Honestly, in the next five to ten years, you'd make more money by taking a few shifts a week flipping burgers at a McDonald's than buying guitars and waiting/hoping for them to appreciate in value.

The only thing I'd say is never buy brand new ("Retail is for suckers" - Cosmo Kramer). Otherwise just buy what you like and not because of any potential windfall 'cause it ain't going to happen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.