Telebration 2011 Vintage Hot Rod Tele on its way...advice please

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by stratman82, Sep 8, 2014.

1. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Hi all
    I've just sent payment for a (supposedly) mint condition 2011 "Telebration" hot rod 52 in butterscotch blonde. Its the one with the Duncan '59 in the neck.

As per my username, I've previously been a "strat guy" but I had to have a tele. This model appeals to me based on the large U neck coupled with a more modern 9.5" fretboard radius. Plus nitro finish and vintage good looks of course! I got a reasonable price too.

So my question is-

the spec sheet says:
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit)
    Position 3. Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)

I had sort of assumed that the middle position would be a combination of the two pickups in parallel rather than a modified neck pickup setting.

I'm mainly looking for a Keith Richards tone with this tele (It'll probably stay in open G most of the time) and rumour has it he uses both pickups together a lot. Would you guys suggest I mod the tele so the middle position is both pups in parallel for a Stones tone?

Also, if I do that mod do I keep Position 3 as neck pup with or without the tone control (ie dark vintage circuit)?

Thanks for the advice!

2. repeatofender

repeatofender Tele-Afflicted

My middle position is both pickups...

3. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

I'm thinking that way.

btw heres the best demo I can find of this guitar. Just wish I could play like him....

4. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I am not absolutely certain about the Telebration series but that is not how AVRI 52 Hotrods with the Seymour Duncan mini humbucker from the same period are wired.

Fender did a scissors and paste job with specification descriptions on marketing material and incorrectly used the AVRI 52 specs which had the vintage wiring as described. Hotrods had the modern wiring 1 Bridge 2 Bridge and Neck in parallel 3 Neck. Volume and Tone controls on every selection.

5. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Ah right, thanks...that makes more sense (and saves me a tech bill)!

I'll probably switch out the 59 neck for something like a Seth or a Mule eventually (have a 59 already in the neck of my Flying V and have always found it a bit sterile)

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I thought the same regarding the AVRI specs being copied into the ad. That's what happens when no one that plays creates a web site.. You called it right about switching out the neck pup.. No idea why Fender decided to use such a bland pickup on a top shelf guitar.. Several guys here swapped out that pickup for the same reasons..

7. DirtyDanTele

DirtyDanTele Tele-Meister

I didn't care for the stock 59 either. But with a magnet swap, my choice Alnico V UO. It's actually quite nice.

8. Rocketman_ab

Rocketman_ab Tele-Meister

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats on your new guitar!

Please let us know, when you get it, which way the wiring is done. Because when you pair a single coil with a HB in this way, the manufacturer really needs to have executed this right. Normally when you just slap two pickups together in this configuration you get an imbalance - I presume they sweated it, and got it right.

10. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Should take delivery tomorrow.

Here are the website photos....pretty distinctive ash grain I think you'll agree. I've not seen many butterscotch teles with such a unique pattern.

I must admit that was a selling point for me. What is the consensus on blackguard aesthetics? Most photos I've seen have more linear, tight grained ash or even very little visible grain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Beautiful tele and the grain is stunning. I would say keep the blackguard.

12. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

+1. A blackguard is the natural compliment to a butterscotch body imo. That's a beauty!

13. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

I didn't actually mean the black guard...I'll definitely keep it that way. I meant what's the consensus on grain on butterscotch "blackguards"- most of the Fender promo pictures have very straight uniform grain if it's even visible at all. The grain on this particular guitar is pretty wild in comparison!

14. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

15. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I recall this Telebration Horrors did use the "dark" wiring thing like on the regular 52 RI's.

I'm curious about the pots to know if they use a 500K vs a 250K.

Edit. Auto complete spelled horrors. I meant Series. I don't know what happened.

16. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

I've found a few other threads from guys with this model and the consensus seems to be that the middle position is both pickups together. I'll find out for sure soon enough I guess (assuming I can tell the difference)!

17. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Congratulations. I think this looks a great guitar. Other than the full humbucker, are these the same as the older 52 Hot Rod? I have one of those and I love it. But I do think the neck and bridge pickups are a funny match and it makes the mid position a bit of a trick. To get a usable (ie. different) sound in the middle, I had to lower the neck pickup otherwise it dominates the bridge. But by lowering it, there become volume drop considerations when switching from the 1 position to the 3 position. So, while it's great to have a humbucker and tele bridge available in one guitar, I think they make for a funny match. ANd mine is just a mini-humbucker. I would guess a full sized pickup will make this even more of an issue. One cool thing, though, is that the bridge pick up is very hot. I guess it was done so it could hold it's own with a humbucker, and because of that I think it's a very cool pickup. I think it's probably my favourite of the ones I've tried. Has a lot of punch to it.

18. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Works for Keef I guess! I'll wait and see...bare knuckle have told me that the flat 50/ Mule are a good match in a tele for Stones type vibe.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Best demo I've heard of any guitar lately....

:D

20. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Very nice. I didn't realize that they had the "limited edition" neck plate instead of the 60th anniversary neckplate. I have a 2011 52 Hot Rod with the mini-SD in the neck and it has the 60th anniversary plate which I really like but sometimes I feel like getting a blank one and putting it on so it's more period-correct.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.