1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele335

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telemcCaster, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

All flat.

Attached Files:

2. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Checking how it mates up.

Attached Files:

3. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Now it time to glue the top to the rims. Lets see ... what do I have around for that. Spool clamps, luthier clamps, a little of each...We'll see

Attached Files:

4. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Who wants to have some fun with geometry? Raise your hand. ;);););););););););)

Post a picture of your drawing here.

Tools, wide and narrow compass, ruler, 24 X 20 sheet of paper, calculator to convert decimal inches to fractions.

Or

Computer drafting program.

a. Draw a center line about 24 inches long
    b. Mark a point at the bottom and measure up 6 9/16 for the widest point of the lower bout. Draw a line perpendicular to the center line. On this line marka point 2 inches from the cl for an arc to be drawn. Draw the arc with a 6 1/16 r. Repeat on the other side of CL.
    c. Measure up from the bottom 13 1/4 for the narrowest point of the mid bout. Draw a line perpendicular to the center line. On the perpendicular line mark a point 6 from the CL for the center of a 1 inch radius circle. Draw the circle. Repeat on other side.
    d. Measure up from the bottom 16 7/8 for the widest point of the upper bout. On this point draw a perpendicular line. Mark a point 2 inches from centerline for a 3.78 inch r. circle, draw the circle. (Sorry for mixing measurement styles).
    e. Measure up again on the center line 18 3/16 inches and make points on each side of the CL 1.1 inches to mark the neck end.
    f. For the cutaway "nadir" measure up from the bottom 17 3/16 and over 2.11 for the center of a 1 inch r circle. Draw the circle
    g. (text removed because it is a dead givaway) Measure up from the bottom 18 inches and over 4.25 inches for the center of a 1 inch r circle. Draw the circle.
    h. Draw the large circle for the bottom by drawing a 10 1/4 r ark on a point measured 10 1/4 inch up from the bottom. edit ( this arc is where the tail block will sit).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  5. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Once all of the circles are drawn you can draw in the rest of the body outline by connecting the tangents with a french curve or bent line.

So...what do we have here?

6. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

With work like that, you'll be kept on!! Absolutely fantastic, mate!

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Just for fun I followed the directions in Rhino. It didn't work out for me with the numbers given. I did recognize what were the concentric circles. ( dead giveaway) I'd do it again, but now I have a headache.

OK...took an advil and tried it again.
    I took a few artistic liberties when connecting tangent curves. I also added some lines where a neck might go based on the end of the neck lines.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Can you show your circles please. Maybe I gave some bad directions. I got glue on my fingers and they are sticking to the kkkkeeeeysss.

Okay, cool, you have got the essentials. And I must say that makes a nice cutaway guitar. But this is a double cutaway.

Hint,
    "who's the leader of the band"?

Something is wrong with the two 1 inch radii at the top. The concave one should be drawn from above.

9. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Okay, I get it...your circles are good but the way you drew the perimeter is not right.

You are almost there, just a few tweaks, trust me it will be worth it.

10. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

From the topmost circle your perimeter line should go down under the lower 1 inch circle and following the circle back up to the neck line where it diverges and goes straight. And then repeat on the other side.

11. guitarbuilder

Was he made for you and me? The leader of the band.....that is. Didn't know if it was a single cut ala tele or double ala 335 or my personal favorite a LP.

12. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

You sir are right and perhaps your age has helped you get the clue.

13. guitarbuilder

Bobby Annette Sissy....yeah... I got it right away although it was the leader of the club... the other guess was Dan Fogelberg. Is the waist and lower bout correct?

14. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Your lower bout is right, the top is going to be good once you draw the perimeter right and the waist will need a little tweaking.

15. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

There are rim hardpoints for the strap button and jack input. They need a little work.

Attached Files:

16. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Jack input needs a little inset to reach through the ribs for the nut. But still needs a little more support than just the ribs.

Attached Files:

17. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

I probably would have just drilled a flat bottom hole there if I had planned better.

You can see the top plate is on, this is out of sequence. I had already glued the plate on like this.

Attached Files:

18. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

And now the back plate.

Attached Files:

19. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Removing the mold is a little like getting a tire off a rim. It might seem impossible but there is a little flex in the mold.

There is a generous overhang to be removed. I used a sanding drum and then a router. I could have just used the router with the flush trim bit, it worked fine.

Here it is all trimmed and now ready for a binding ledge.

Attached Files:

20. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

And the neck is patiently waiting with it's decal mock-up, weighing in at ...

Tribulato is my mother's maiden name and a tribute to my grandfather who was a shoemaker. I often think of him in his dusty shop with all the machines and supplies, working away. His spirit lives here in my shop.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.