1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele335

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telemcCaster, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

First post here, but have lurked a bit. I want to show what I have made because I think it will be of interest here but please don't mistake me as an expert. I have many questions, especially electronic related.

I designed this hybrid tele-ES335 guitar with the thought that it would be fun to play and modify with different pickup configurations. It is built like a Gibson ES335 with a semi-hollow body. The top, back and sides are laminated using molds and forms and vacuum bagging to press them to their shape. There is a solid block going through the center similar to the Gibson. The guitar is built like an acoustic or archtop guitar with sides and kerfing with glued top and back plates glued on. After carving the arched forms for the back and sides and making double side forms, I thought that I would make a batch of 6 to start. This one will have a Tune-O-matic bridge and stop tailpiece, double humbuckers and tele controls. Not sure what pups yet.

The neck rout, pickup routs, bolt on neck, wiring and finishing are yet to be done.

Attached Files:

2. Nash

Nash Tele-Holic

Welcome to the forum, you did the right thing joining. The guitar looks great so far and I look forward to seeing it in its completed form.

3. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

Will this have the Tele or 335 scale length?

I bet this is going to be a great-looking guitar! Best of luck with project and welcome to the forum.

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Helluva first post!! That is some nice work there.

For sure do a build thread on it's progress, and FOR SURE if you have previous pictures of your build process, rest assured they would be a welcomed sight here on the TDPRI. Did I say FOR SURE?? :D:D

BTW, Welcome and enjoy!!

5. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Thanks! I really like this forum, you all are extremely knowledgeable, friendly and supportive.

Well, there you go asking those technical questions:p It will be a regular old tele neck with a 25.5 inch scale.

6. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

A batch of six... This looks like a very cool project. Keep those pictures coming.

7. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

I thought I would tap into the motherload of tele-expertisism, Thanks Nash.

8. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

How I make the plates

I started with a design of an arched top and back tele in mind and designed the shape of the arching in my mind. Then I carve the top and back plates from MDF. MDF is extremely easy to carve by the way.

Yes... I am only 9 years old! :D

Attached Files:

9. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Taking into consideration the pickup placement, bridge height, and neck tilt, I carved the plate so it would come down to about 1/8 inch all around its perimeter.

Attached Files:

10. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Keep in mind that this is the mold for the laminates to be pressed and glued under vacuum pressure. The sheets of veneer cannot be too thick or they will buckle trying to conform to this shape. Standard 1/42 inch veneer works well if the shape is not too steeply carved. There is no way to tell, I will have to give it a try and alter the mold if necessary.

But first the 1/8 inch edge drop off must be addressed or the veneer will buckle and cause problems. So I glue the plate molds to a plywood backer board and build a little 1/8 inch damn around it and fill it with plaster of paris. A coat of shellac helps seal the MDF prior to the plaster.

Attached Files:

11. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Now I can press the first trial plate. 5 plys of veneer, outer, show face is curly maple, inner sheets alternate grain and are high quality beech veneer.

As it turned out, the first top plate pressed pretty well. There was a slight buckle that took a few minutes to massage out. The back seemed fine. Those plates are this guitar. The second set of plates did not want to cooperate and I took the opportunity to do some alteration of the plate mold. After looking at the shape I was not really satisfied anyway. I carved away some of the wood at the high point and made the arching a bit smoother and less abrupt.

I was then ready to make a set of side pressing molds.

Attached Files:

12. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

I laminate the sides so I can get two out of each glue-up and slice it down the center.

edit: I should add that there are two molds one for the bass side and one for the cutaway side. So each pressing makes two rights or lefts. So my process is to glue a top, back and right or left side, then the next pressing another top/back and the other side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  13. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

The Gibson block and contour brace

Next I am ready to load the sides into the body mold and press the block into place and put in the tail block. Then kerfing gets glued in place.

Attached Files:

14. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

And the contour brace(ing) is glued inside the top plate. Oh and before that the plate is sawed a bit over sized and the ff holes are cut.

Attached Files:

15. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

what kind of neck will you be using? how are you going to rout the cavities with all of the body contours?

16. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

I am leaving out a few steps but the rest is finished including the sanding of the rib/block structure to about 1.25 inches thick, flat on both top and back, ready to glue the plates. The final thickness of the sides are 1 1/2 inches thick.

Then the overhang is trimmed flush on the router table and the binding ledge is routed ready for ivoroid, black or tortoise binding. The next one will have no side purfling lines, that was fixing a mistake:oops: Tele's are supposed to be kinda plain right?

17. MaxL

MaxL TDPRI Member

This is awesome.

18. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

My plan calls for a standard tele neck. The pocket will be routed with a fixture that allows for proper neck angle based on the height of the bridge. The cavities can be routed following a template placed above the body as it is held firm. Easier said than done.

19. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Guess what? I don't know if my controls will fit through the ff holes. Because it will be necessary to fish the pickup wires through holes out to the body cavity and put the pots and switch through the ff holes. I suppose they will fit though...at least I hope so.

I am accepting all suggestions for pickups, wiring mods, hot rod ideas, color schemes. Or any other criticisms good or bad.

My friend and colleague down the road, Tim is making a neck and putting this one together. I will give him credit if it turns out good, but will take all the blame if turns out to be an "Edsel".

20. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

If a Fender sized f-hole they fit with a tilt... It is no fun though wiring a guitar through the f-holes, done it twice, and it was two times too many. ;O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.