Tele with P90s??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mechanic, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Have a chance for a Squier Tele Custom II with the Dual P90s. Never played one, but I have plenty of expearience with the single coils. I have a CVC and MIM Teles. How will the P90s differ from the singles? At the price I'm looking at it is very tempting but haveing not played it yet I don't know what to expect.

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post

P90s ARE single coil... they're just a different design.

A Tele with dual P90s will not sound like a normal Tele... but it will sound good IMO. P90s are my favourite sounding pickups. You really need to take one for a good test drive to see what YOU think of them.

[​IMG]

3. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

I've got a P90 bug biting me hard right now (which I can't afford to scratch, unfortunately). There's just something about the raw, rude growl they put out that no other pickup seems to match. Really unique.

However, when I do get one it won't be on a Tele platform. Can't put my finger on it but I've just never loved the sound of a P90 equipped Tele-style guitar yet. Maybe I just haven't found the right one -- admittedly I haven't heard many.

4. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

My 66 Tele got a single P90 pickup that I took off of a 61-63 SG Les Paul the neck pickup. With the switching system I can play just the P90, or just the regular Tele setup, or both the P90 and whatever position the Tele selector switch is.
    I will tell you that the P90 in conjunction with the bridge Tele pickup is a sound to die for. It is sort of a cross between a jazz semi hollow body, and something else. I don't know how to describe it but it is phenomenal enough for people to take notice.
    Other notes. The P90's like 250k pots just like the Tele pickups do. The P90's don't feedback very easily so you can crank them up with a distortion pedal or other high gain effects.
    The thing I like about this setup is that I have not changed the Telecaster pickup configuration at all. This way I have the great bridge and neck Tele pickup sounds which I don't want to part with, plus there is the P90 option as well.
    You may notice the Gibson string spacing is a little narrower than the Tele spacing. So I opted to center the pickup screw for the 6th string over top, and then allowed the first string to be barely over the screw so when I bend strings it will still be over the screw somewhat instead of between them.
    Of course having a Tele with dual P90's covers both positions and a wider range of pure P90 options. I am not into yey this and boo that. I am into yey this and yey that. I would love to have a pure P90 Tele too!

Attached Files:

5. Brudr

Brudr Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

6. selectortone

selectortone TDPRI Member

My Tele DeLuxe inspired Partscaster with Lindy Fralin P90s:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

P90s are great but I wouldnt expect too much out of the Squier. I had a Squier VM Tele Custom II. IMO it was a POS.

8. daniel o

daniel o Tele-Meister

that is a beautiful guitar,,,, i love my squier vintage modified tele,,,,but it's the humbucker one. i've played the p-90 one and it was awesome sounding!!!!
    that tele you posted there is beautiful,,,love the body contour and pick gaurd!

9. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

The Squier Tele Custom II must be hit and miss because mine is a great guitar. The fret work is great with a very low action. The pickups sound great and the tone controls are very reponsive.

10. jave276

jave276 TDPRI Member

All these pics make me smile!!!!! Great guitars everyone!

P90's is a great pickup no matter on which guitar you install it!
    I have a Gibson 225T, SG Junior and ES330 with P90's and I love each one and it's the dirtiest Fuzz / Overdrive pickup !
    I haven't played a tele with P90's but I imagine it'll sound great! so go for it.

11. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

There's a sale tomorrow in my local store and might just buy this or the CV thinline. They're going to be cheap!

12. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

All of the above.

[​IMG]

13. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Now I can't get ahold of the guy. Try again tomorrow.

14. romiso

romiso Tele-Meister

Nice guitars!

I've only tried out the Tele Deluxe with P90-ish pickups (is it the Black Dove?). It was nice, but to my ears, the midrange honk of a P90 sounds best on a slab of mahogany. So LP Juniors/Specials and SGs for me (although I'm GASsing for a non-reverse Firebird -- which is really just a much bigger slab of mahogany).

15. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

16. daniel o

daniel o Tele-Meister

that's what i'm thinking about my squier Vintage modified 1,,,,, i love it great pickups, frets are perfect and great electronics.

i love the VMII too,,,,i want one of them too!:D

17. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Meister

18. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

A cheap option in the US would be the Rondo Douglas thinline with twin p90;s .I had one ,they are called Richwood over here .a really fine guitar art a cheap price in the US .i preferred it to the Squier which I found OK but heavy and a tad clunky ,I put a pair of Tonerider P90;s in and it was great .,real quality sound.

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

No argument here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Carvalho Diablo

Carvalho Diablo Tele-Meister

+1

Love the raw, buzzy swell and sustain of a P90.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.