Tele with NON-master Tone Pot?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by merseymale, Nov 30, 2019.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I am NOT a wiring expert, but would this work for the 4-way switch and and a bridge-only tone control? Everything I know about wiring I learned from following diagrams and trying to digest the theory behind the actions.

It's a butchered PDF; I replaced the white wire (hot) from the bridge with that yellow/orange line. I eliminated the connection from the tone pot to the volume pot, and sent the bridge hot first to the tone pot, and then to its proper lug on the 4-way switch.

Attached Files:

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

A JBass uses 2 volumes and 1 tone, so reverse that to each pickup going to it's own tone(2 tones) and then a master volume. If you still want a switch, put it between the tone pots and volume pot. You would have to use a concentric pot for the 2 tone pots if using a switch.

3. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It will work if you don't mind having the tone control operational when both pickups on. It may not be possible to avoid that with the 4-position blade switch for series/parallel; even with the rotary switch that has an extra pole, you end up with the tone control in circuit for the series position.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

This diagram posted by Tiger G a lot earlier in the thread gets you exactly what you want.

Maybe I can help you decipher this image a bit. First, ignore all the grounds. Everything gets grounded, that's a no brainer, so we know what's happening by paying attention to the HOT connections.

The two greens terminals on the switch are the ones you connect to the volume pot. If you have an unconnected switch in your hand you can play with it and test for continuity in the different switch
    positions. You can figure out which two of the eight terminals on the switch are the "universal" terminals, if you will. Put the switch in any position and test for continuity. You will find that there is one
    terminal at the end of each row that sequentially has an electrical connection to each of the three other terminals in its row as you move the switch. You can also suss this out by looking closely
    at the mechanical design of the switch itself. Look at what gets connected to what as you cycle through the switch. Do this for the top row and then the bottom and you will usually find that
    as shown in the diagram that one terminal at the end of each row is the "universal" terminal, and that they are usually on opposite ends of their respective rows due to the mechanics of the switch.

In position 1 in this diagram, therefore, the top left white switch terminal gets connected to the top left green terminal, and the
    bottom left switch terminal gets connected to the bottom right green terminal, and thus to the volume pot. Since the hot bridge is connected to the white terminal, it is now connected to the volume
    pot and is therefore active in the circuit. The tone knob is also in the circuit because it is connected via the top left white switch terminal.

Now let's go to position 2. Now the green terminals are connected to the middle white switch terminal, top row and bottom row. The neck pickup is connected to the middle white switch terminal
    on the top row, so it's in the circuit. The bridge is connected to the middle white switch terminal on the bottom row, so it's connected to the circuit. The tone knob is NOT connected. So you
    have N+B with no tone control.

Now let's go to position 3. Now the far right white switch terminals are connected to the greens on the top and bottom rows. The neck is connected via the top row to the circuit and so is active.
    The bridge is not connected, and neither is the tone control. So you have Neck with no tone control.

upload_2019-12-10_11-5-30.png

gregulator450, tvas22 and TigerG like this.
  5. gregulator450

TigerG, first off, left-handed is not backwards. ;)

It's probably subjective, but IMHO having the tone control operation in the series mode is not a bad thing. Also, I kinda get the feeling from the original post that in position 2, parallel, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to still have the bridge tone control active since the idea is to try to tame the high freqs coming from the bridge pickup.

6. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh but of course! Just trying to head off the inevitable question/comment from those righties who seem to think we've never heard lefties or our guitars being called "backwards" before. ;)

It is subjective, no question there. My preference is to have the tone control out of the picture when both pickups are on because I never seem to quite get the brightness or jangle I'm going for.

gregulator450 likes this.
  7. gregulator450

You can NEVER have too much jangle!

TigerG likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.