Tele with NON-master Tone Pot?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by merseymale, Nov 30, 2019.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Wire it as shown earlier. Think of it like the bridge is like the middle pickup of a Strat (with tone pot) and neck is like the bridge pickup of a Strat ( no tone pot). The tone pot is connected to the bridge hot rather than to vol pot terminal.

It pays off to understand how guitar wiring works. Then you don’t just have to blindly follow someone else’s diagram.

One way to start is think of a pickup wired straight to your output jack. Ground pickup wire goes to ground (ring) and hot pickup wire goes to hot (tip).

Now put a vol pot in the circuit. Black pickup wire still goes to ground. Pickup hot goes to vol pot terminal so signal passes through the pot. Then wire goes from middle pot terminal to hot of output jack. Back of vol pot gets grounded, too.

You can then go through exercise of adding a switch to the circuit, or adding a tone pot. It all starts to make sense as you study it a little...

2. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

Can’t find a way to do that.

3. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

so my bit:
    “...a resistor placed across a pickup’s positive and negative wires would reduce just that pickup alone so a variable resistor -a pot- would too

it follows that adding a cap to that pot would only vary that pickup’s tone, not volume...”
    actually WOULD work?
    (I know more than DiMarzio!!?):lol:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  4. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

This may or may not be true depending on how the volume controls are wired. Even with standard Gibson Les Paul type wiring, when both pickups are on, both volume and both tone controls affect both pickups. On the other hand, a Fender Jazz Bass is wired so that each volume control affects only its designated pickup--since there is no switch the volume controls need to be isolated so that each pickup can be turned all the way down individually without killing the signal from the other pickup. Either way, both these schemes are different from a regular Telecaster in that each pickup has its own volume control.

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

TeleBridgeTone2.jpg
    Here is something that I found on my computer; though it seems to me that the tone will affect both pickups if the switch is in the middle position.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Yep. That’s the issue.

If you are willing to add a third control in between the two you already have, you can have VTT. You can do the same without drilling the plate, if you use a stacked pot. Also, if either of those options are undesirable due to the way they look, you can set it up for TT, with no volume control. When you do that, you can have a push/push or push/pull pot as a master on/off switch. Many people only use their volume control at zero or at 10, and this would work for them.

I would also spend a good amount of time changing the pickup heights of both pickups. Some combination of lowering the neck pickup and raising the bridge pickup could help things quite a bit.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    merseymale likes this.
  7. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

I see... I think!
    I wired in the Tele 4way Switch Mod
    Is what you’re saying (&DiMarzio?) that this wiring is not possible IF there is only one Volume?

8. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

9. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

Thanks for that -yep, it seems to me that one volume, there, means MASTER tone ONLY:(

10. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

Thanks for taking the time out to explain this

Really I think I’ve exhausted the possibilities of pickup height but I’m not adverse to having VTT as I can always leave the Neck V alone(even hide it under the ‘plate?!) but I can’t find a wiring diagram for this either!

11. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

Perhaps the loading effect of a volume pot(would a trimmer be similar?) on a pickup would ‘dull the tone’ somewhat?

I mean, If I were to crank the Bridge pick up physically closer to the strings and there is a volume control on that pickup, then perhaps that could do the trick!

Will individual volumes for the each pickup also going into a master volume for them both cause any problems that you can see?

thanks in advance for your thoughts

12. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Not at all, quite the opposite. That diagram I posted shows it is possible with one volume.

Or how about just a resistor to ground? That's something Bill Lawrence suggests.

https://www.wildepickups.com/pages/tele-3-way-wiring-diagram

Not likely any more so than individual volumes for each pickup without a master volume. In any case, I think you're likely to end up with tone control interaction with both pickups switched on and the individual volumes all the way up, unless the pickup switching also disconnects the tone controls when both pickups are on. I've heard that complete tone control isolation is possible with active electronics, but I've never had a guitar with active electronics.

13. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

Multiple volumes with NO tones seems the way to go, then?

14. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

“Just the opposite” ??
    But your diagram shows a MASTER tone & NO individual ones, doesn’t it?

If you know a way to have an individual tone instead of me having to mess with extra volumes then I’d love to see it cos I can’t seem to make that work at all:(

15. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

No sir. It shows a single individual tone pot for the bridge pickup only, leaving the neck pickup "unloaded and wide open", as you as asked for initially.
    Here it is again to clarify which diagram we're talking about.

TeleWiringToneOnBridgeOnlySmall2.png
    Of course, this is a 3-position Tele blade switch. Since it turns out you're using a 4-position rotary switch, this diagram may not do you much good.
    The good news is that the same thing is certainly possible with a 3 pole, 4-position rotary. Here's one way to do it. The tone control is in play in the two-pickup series position (3-7-11), but in between the two pickups and in my experience doesn't have much affect.

2 pickups 3 pole 4 pos No3-No out of phase.jpg

merseymale and Jim_in_PA like this.
  16. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

Why not just wire the tone pot between the bridge pickup and the pickup selector? So the bridge pickup’s + goes to the input lug of the tone pot, and then that same lug on the tone pot is also connected to the pickup selector switch, where the bridge + wire was connected before.

I have this set up on my tele, but it’s a mini pot inside the cavity, and the connection between the bridge + wire and the mini-pot is controlled by a mini switch. I’ve set the mini-tone pot to knock off just a little of the bridge, and then if it’s too shrill I can just flip the switch. Gives me the advantage of still having the normal tone pot if I need it too.

17. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

EXCELLENT!!
    Consider me Schooled!

18. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

I kinda tried that 1st off but it seemed o affect everything globally... I’ll try it again?

19. gregulator450

gregulator450 TDPRI Member

I believe Brent Mason does this on his teles. If not him, it's another legendary tele picker in Nashville.

20. gregulator450

gregulator450 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

deleted...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019 at 1:02 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.