Tele with Dynasonic pickups, anyone ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by nic'o'caster, Jun 17, 2021.

1. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Hello Telecaster people,
    I just saw this and was wondering if anyone here had already installed Dynasonic pickups in his/her Tele ?
    [​IMG]

I love the clarity and punch of these pickups in my Gretsch and am wondering how they sound in a Tele ?

Since the Dyna are quite bulky I also wonder how deep you have to cut inside the body ?

2. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I've got two Dynasonic Teles.
    One is a partscaste made from a Squier J5 body, Warmoth Fatback roasted maple neck, MosLike vibrato & Compton bridge. I've got HB-sized Dynasonics from Gabojo Labs in Greece on that one - those guys build great-sounding vintage spec (44AWG wire, 10-11k, oversized magnets) Dynasonics in a variety of form factors.

The other one is made from a super-light hollow poplar body, Warmoth Boatneck (rosewood board on roasted maple); Bigsby B16, archtop-style floating ebony bridge. On this one I have the P90-sized Gabojo Dynasonic in the neck spot, the bridge pickup is from Gemini Pickups - Tele-size, but with Dynasonic-spec wire & magnets.

Now, it is really hard to compare these to regular Teles - due to the bridge/vibrato setup, the sound and feel a bit more Gretsch/hollowbody like.
    But in general, Dynasonics aren't worlds away from Tele pickups, anyway - a bit more mids and output, but similar attack, twang, and snap.
    Also, with Dynasonics you can tweak the tone by playing around with magnet height vs whole pickup height: magnets lowered, pickup raised - more P90-like; pickup lowered, magnets raised - more Tele-like...

3. RomanS

PS: About using real Dynasonics in a Tele: yeah, you need a deep route, the magnets and elevator mechanism need space; the Gabojo guys have addressed this by offering short magnet versions for solidbody guitars...

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Fender made one for a few years (Tele-Sonic...and the Strat-o-Sonic). It had a wrap-tail bridge and a Les Paul control scheme.

[​IMG]

5. nic'o'caster

Hey Roman, Thanks for your detailed answer and also for mentioning Gabojo , I also live in Europe and was not aware of them !

@Peegoo, I checked 2 videos of this american made Tele Sonic made between 1998-2003. It sounds good but way fuller than a Tele ! Never seen a real one though, must be rare.

vhilts1 and Peegoo like this.
  6. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

TV Jones has Tele pickups based on his take on Dynasonics - but in tele size - if anyone wants to move in that direction without routing your tele body. I've never used his tele pickups, but I love his T-Armonds (although, I understand they are his 'take' on it, not historically accurate reproductions of the original ones).

brookdalebill and nic'o'caster like this.
  7. ukepicker

ukepicker Friend of Leo's

Thanks for your input about the Dynasonics and Gabojo and Gemini! I hadn't heard of those two brands.

I've been looking for a new set of pickups for my SG special. It's the best playing guitar I've ever owned, but not the best sounding. I upgraded the original minihumbuckers and it helped, but I'd like something more tele-like. Lower lows and higher highs. I've been looking hard at low-wind P90s and gold foils and Fralin's big singles and alnico poles, etc etc etc.

Gabojo's website got me interested in dynasonics.

Have you compared gold foils and dynasonics? Have you ever heard Gabojo's gold foils?

My SG has 500k pots. What kind of pots are you using with your dynasonic pickups?

Why a Gabojo neck with a Gemini bridge? Have you tried the Gemini neck and Gabojo bridge?

Thanks!

8. RomanS

Never tried any Goldfoils...

The Gabojo/Gemini mix is because I already had those two when I started putting that guitar together...

I used 250k with my Dynasonics, but with no load tone pots...

9. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

nic'o'caster likes this.
  10. nic'o'caster

To add a bit of information on my own thread ;)

Nick Fanis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.