1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele with a bent headstock?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fender-guy, Oct 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I’d buy another flamed neck guitar again, I’d just have to really look it over.

As far as the esquire went it played and sounded fantastic! Total winner but a warped and possible unplayable neck in the future trumps how it plays and sounds now.

I traded a pretty mint 2018 custom shop les Paul R8 for the esquire. He paid $3500CAD for the esquire so we did a swap back after a week and he was able to return the guitar. So the esquire may pop back up at the store for cheap but really if the neck gets worse and has to be replaced, then you have a really expensive partscasters.

2. orpheo

orpheo TDPRI Member

I'd say, that's because of how the raw neck was sanded in the first place. It's quite easy to sand in a 'dent' like that with either a spindle sander or disk sander. To avoid this, they should sand it by hand with a block, but that's often just too much work.

3. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

Clearly a product placement stunt for Cruztools! But I agree, if it doesn't affect playability, ignore it; you have a rarity, if that helps. If the neck starts to give you concerns it is the "wonky cell structure", and that's the nature of wood, and why Fender guitars and their like are modular and easily repaired/modified.

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Seriously?
    It's wood. Wood does all kinds of crazy things.
    Play it and embrace it's individuality.
    That little extra bend might give your guitar that elusive mojo everyone is so desperately chasing!

5. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

It’s a hand made instrument, even the best luthiers make a booboo every now and then. Makes em unique from the mass produced cnc instruments.

6. Theiglupickin

Theiglupickin TDPRI Member

Now that you've pointed it out, they'll be hundreds of folks out there checking theirs for the first time. It may be common or uncommon, who knows. Regardless if its an Esquire is that off-shore built? If so, maybe the wood selection isn't as finite as those by Fender USA?? Speculating but how old is it? If it were mine, I wouldn't worry about it. The bend is so slight that its settled into its long term shape and likely won't hurt it and in fact you now have a unique identity with that Tele that is not noticeable to the average Joe! You'll know its yours if it ends up in the wrong hands! Play it, forget it!

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Get thee to a doctor and/or luthier - that guitar has Peyronie’s !

I have no idea if it’s communicable but I wouldn’t take any chances ...

C4608563-7903-414B-BAD5-E95FA2753FAF.jpeg

FraKo likes this.
  8. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I wouldn't be concerned, it's very slight. If the guitar plays ok go with it.

9. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

Curves equal interest. I like it.
    Should be a standard feature.
    And thanks by the way... now I have to dig out all of my Tele's and check each of them....
    :)
    -az-

10. va3dg

va3dg TDPRI Member

Looks to me like a bad deal from the get-go. Badly warped piece of maple and should have been rejected by QC people, if they even exist.

Fender-guy likes this.
  11. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

I had a suspect... so I Just checked mine (it's straight, as far as i can see). Your guitar is old enough to stay safe. Maybe It was born that way, I personally doubt It warped along the years. Let's say she's got a unique personality of her own.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  12. luthier59

luthier59 TDPRI Member

DOes it affect the playability? If your eye can get past it just enjoy the instrument.

13. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

My '83 telly has this issue too, and I've seen it on other guitars over the years, some worse than others. A small amount of deflection is pretty normal, especially on an older instrument-on a new guitar, I'd be calling Fender about a replacement neck... Here's mine as an example, it's got about 1/16" of bend in it...

Franc Robert

IMG_6026.jpg

14. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

Uh, unless you're using suspension cable guage strings and a railroad track style nut, that piece of maple is susceptible to further warpage/twisting...the only time I've ever seen that on guitar headstocks were guitars that had warping and twisting issues throughout the neck. You might want to bring it to a local luthier and ask them to have a proper look at your guitar. Some flatsawn necks just flex more than others.

15. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Well for those who have not read the tread this esquire is a 2011 custom shop limited to 30 sold world wide. Cool right.

Well not when you lower the action and can’t play from that nut to the 4th fret. Then the same from the 8th fret up. Weird. I get my fret rocker out, the 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th fret were extremely high.

No problem, fret level, polish, all good. Now lowering the action. Damn the slotted G string saddle height screw is broken inside the saddle and seized! Ok, get out my drill, re-thread and tap. I had a few slotted screws. It’s all good now.

So doing all this with the neck off in my hand I noticed the headstock was twisted, not just bent up but twisted. Weird. With string tension it pull up on the B, G and E string and it’s twisted. Like what the inside of a gun barrel would look like.

Yeah call that unique for sure. You guys that seem to like unique weird bends in a critical part of a neck should have bought it. I’ll tell pm you the store it was returned to.

16. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Again for those who just post on the latest posts added, myself and the guy I traded my 2018 mint Gibson Les Paul historic R8 had traded back and he returned the guitar. No questions asked, full return to the store.

LetItGrowTone likes this.
  17. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

This Is definitely a very bad and weird diagnosis... this goes far beyond a cosmetic flaw. That neck was made either on Monday morning, or Friday in the evening. Contact Fender.

18. Co0lcat

Co0lcat TDPRI Member

Warped? Not if only one side is.

19. Co0lcat

Co0lcat TDPRI Member

You had to have the frets lvl’d on a custom shop? What crap, even LTD’s have theirs sent out properly dressed. I don’t even buy new guitars because of the quality nowadays. I find myself looking at older Burny/Fernandes, Aria Pro II’s, the quality is superb. I just bought a 74 Burny “Super Strat”, maple neck big headstock even bullet TR & 3 bolt neck... awesome guitar.

20. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

This was a 2011 so far from new. Most guitars will have a slight fret popped up when checking with a fret rocker, new or used. Just depends on how picky you want to get. This was extreme. Either way it’s probably been through a few different hands over the years so I wouldn’t blame fender. Did it sit in a damp basement or dry climate? Who knows. I have dehumidifiers and humidifiers going to keep a constant 50% humidity. Do most people, probably not. That’s how would gets ruined, not fenders fault.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.