Tele wiring with P-90 neck and traditional bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by theprofessor, Jul 19, 2019.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I'm hoping some of you can pitch in on how best to pair a traditional Tele bridge pickup (around 6.7k DCR) with a 50's-wind P-90 in the neck (ca. 7.1k). It may be that the pairing simply doesn't work, but I'd like to try it.

I've only ever wired traditional Tele pickup neck-and-bridge combos, with 250k volume and tone pots and a 33uF tone capacitor. What would I do (what pots, caps) if I wired a Lollar 50's wind P-90 in the neck and a Fender Pure Vintage 64 treble pickup in the bridge? Like so: https://www.fralinpickups.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Telecaster-P-90-Wiring.pdf

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Geo likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure quite what you are asking - are you asking what pots and caps to use? If so, I recommend you buy a few different values and experiment. Personally I like .022 caps on every guitar no matter what - it rolls of treble but not so much midrange.

I have a Lollar 50s wind P90 in the neck of my parts tele, and I love it. I had to play around with pickup heights quite a bit to balane the volume between it and a Dunan JD, which is hotter (and presumably, louder) than the bridge pickup you describe. So you might not be able to balance the volume, but that might not be a problem depending.
    Beyond that, they are just two pickups and you wire them to a three way.

theprofessor likes this.
  3. theprofessor

Thank you. Yes, I mean what pots (250k, 500k?) and where (both vol. and tone?) and what cap.

4. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

It may be difficult to get a balance even with a 7.1k P90 as it is still a pretty strong output.
    Main thing I find with P90 Les Pauls is that I have to lower (the neck) as far as it will go in
    order to balance with the bridge. Doing that also gets a good clear full sound.

You could consider just leaving the P90 off the tone control using volume only.

I have been thinking of adding a 7.1K Gibson P90 to a James Burton Std which has a 9.8K
    or so Texas Special bridge pickup but it will be later on if done. The JB has a factory neck
    HB route and said large enough to accommodate a P90.

theprofessor likes this.
  5. theprofessor

Thank you. Yes, I also have my 50's wind P90 just about as low as it will go on my Les Paul. I think it sounds great there. How does one bypass the tone control entirely for one of the pickups? And if I did that (an idea I like), I could just use a 250k pot as usual with the Tele bridge pickup.

I found this, which looks helpful. Especially the post by Steinar G: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-to-bypass-tone-knob-for-tele-neck-pickup.155600/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the P90, like a humbucker, bypassing the tone pot entirely when paired with a traditional Tele Single coil. Best balance by far.

theprofessor likes this.
  7. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

I have a couple of partcaster teles in this configuration and they ended up with 250k vol and 500k tone with a 022 cap.. Interestingly increasing the tone pot value rather than the volume pot is the part that makes the difference in terms of opening up the highs to my ears anyway

theprofessor likes this.
  8. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

The other quick trick is, instead of folding the ground lug on the vol pot and soldering it to the can as you would conventionally, put a wire link in instead - hang it out the bottom of the plate, play, then snip the link (or put a switch in the line basically a blower switch) , if you like how it sounds change the vol to a 500k - a fairly instant comparison

theprofessor and Geo like this.
  9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

There are two ways. The simplest one just removes the neck in neck only position but not in N+B.
    This works fine here for Tele single coils but "iffy" w/ P90. This one just requires removing the outer
    tab tone to outer volume wire end from the volume tab and relocating it to the bridge connect tab on
    the switch. Usually the wire is just completely removed and replaced with a longer wire.

The other is a bit more in depth to remove the neck tone completely.

I'll look around for both wiring diagrams. Both were posted here a ? year or two ago.
    Think I may have both on a flash drive.

10. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Here is the one to remove from neck and N+B.

[​IMG]

theprofessor and bender66 like this.
  11. theprofessor

Thank you very much for this! Great info!

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Pots-wise, consider 500K with a 470K resistor to give the effect of 250K to the bridge and 500K to the neck. Here're some examples: 470K Resistor Addition SD diagram.jpg 470K Resistor on Tele 3-way.jpg 470K resistor options.jpg
    I also agree with the suggestion for .022 Cap. And you can still add a treble bleed if you like - it is independent of the other mods.

Cheers,
    Rex

Geo and theprofessor like this.
  13. theprofessor

Thanks so much. Great info here! Excellent.

14. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

I'd keep pots and caps stock; but bypass tone control on p90 and lower it till vol matches.

theprofessor likes this.
  15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't know, I like the P90 with tone rolled off for certain songs. In a multi-guitar band it would probably get lost but in my band it's just me.

I just like Gibson value pots and caps more than Fenders. I want to start out bright and be able to roll off treble without rolling off too much midrange. OP, there isn't really a right or wrong way to do it, as long as both pickups work. I'd encourage experimenting to figure out what works for your sound and style.

theprofessor likes this.
  16. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I just rewired one with a 330k volume, 250k tone and a .047 cap. But...I haven't heard it yet so can't comment on how it sounds. Still have to finish working on the neck.

ETA: There pickups are a GFS P90 in the neck and a GFS 63 7k tele bridge.

theprofessor likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have the Art of Tone Tele Wiring Kit in this guitar. The pickups are a GFS Repro 50's and a GFS Vintage 90 rehoused in a raw nickle-silver casing.

[​IMG]

theprofessor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.