1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele vs Strat

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joe M, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Ok, Tele, I give in, you are better than a Strat.....

In 1977 I sat at one of my local shops trying to decide between a brand new Tele and a brand new Strat. They were both the same color, natural, with the 2 inch thick poly finish and maple fret boad. I didn't care, I had finally saved enough money to buy my first "good" guitar. Was always a Fender guy, never liked Gibby's, why, I don't know, but never did. Anyway, I went back and forth for at least an hour playing each over and over. Price was exactly the same, so that was not a problem. Finally decided the Strat was "the one". Just seemed cooler that the Tele. Bought it for the princely sum of $425, including the hardshell case and tax. Played that guitar through at least 3 refrets. Has, at least, a four or five piece body, but is remarkably light for a 70's Strat. Then, as the years passed, I became more and more interested in Teles, so much so I began to regret my choice of the Strat. Fast forward 40+ years and now my modest collection is mostly Teles. Every time I plug a Strat in, I think, wow, that's a great sounding guitar. Then, I plug in a Tele and think, THIS is the sound I want and like. I do still have a few Strats (including that original '77), but a Tele's sound cannot be beat, IMHO.

Thanks for letting me rant and rave for a bit and....Happy Thanksgiving! :D

2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I played Strats for years, but when I got my first tele, the Strats weren’t seeing daylight 80% of the time. I will never get rid of my Strats, but I’m definitely playing my teles a majority of the time these days.

Obsessed, jvin248, Maguchi and 5 others like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

My imagination isn’t working too well I think we need a picture of this 77

4. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Cool story! Like you, I came to Teles later than Strats. The first cool guitar I ever saw and held was a family friend's Strat (although in my early years, I preferred Epiphones/Gibsons). Teles? Those were just for country players or the local indie band's lead singer thrashing away. :p Little did I know...

Oddly enough, one of my heroes was (and still is) Keef and one of my best friends was (and also still is) a Tele devotee, but I still didn't like Teles for years. I'd try them out at the store every once in a while and I'd think the same thing: "Teles sound nice when others play them but I can't seem to get a good sound out of them." They sounded indistinct whenever I played 'em.

I stuck with my Strat for years but a few years ago, I started feeling uninspired by it and drifted away. Around that time, my bandmate was selling a G&L ASAT Classic and offered it to me. I decided to buy it on a whim, since I was doing a lot of jingles for a local radio station and figured a Tele-like object would be good if a commercial assignment called for a little chicken pickin'. I quickly realized how much that guitar fit me and could get me any sound I wanted for any type of music. I began favouring that guitar more and more over time and eventually added a Vintera Modified '50s Tele for a slightly different flavour and as a backup in case the G&L was getting worked on.

The revelation that I was finally a Tele guy and no longer a Strat guy came to me when I was picking a guitar to bring to a jam at a local pub a couple of years ago. Usually, I'd take my Strat as my one-size-fits-all versatile guitar but that day, I brought the Vintera instead. Once again, every sound I could possibly want was in that guitar and I didn't find myself wishing I'd brought a different guitar instead. With a Tele, I'm home.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Henley, fos1, bigjohnbates and 3 others like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

15FBA97C-49FE-4B00-BC2F-F4633648F8FA.jpeg Strats suck and 1977 Fender sucks!

And yet...

Mjea80, JanOak, MilwMark and 4 others like this.
  6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

My '88 Am Std Tele has been my main guitar for over thirty years. Coming out of punk, I always viewed Strats as "dude guitars." Problem is, I never played one. Finally did, three years ago or so, and fell in love with them. They're a different thing, for sure, but close enough to my Tele that it's easy to switch between them. Found my forever Strat a year and a half ago, a '99 Am Std that's like the sister to my old Tele.

Maybe it's the springs... even though my Strat is decked... it feels softer, looser, and I play differently on it than the Tele. I'm still mainly a Tele guy, but this Strat is a joy to play.

fos1, Muku and Telecastoff1 like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm thankful for both Strats AND Teles!

My true love though is the blushing Esquire...

8. Joe M

Admin Post
    Yup, me too. And, got a couple of Esquires also....:rolleyes:

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. Joe M

Admin Post

telemnemonics, that's my headstock, exactly. Will have to check my serial number, when I get a chance, to see how close it is to yours...

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Strat player 25 years, then sold em on whim and got into Teles overnight... yesterday I sold a Tele now I'm back to one of each. If you can only have one Tele wins (thinline especially) but I'm pretty happy with my team. The only absolute is that Fender beats Gibson!

unixfish and black_doug like this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I came to electric guitars late. I played acoustics, and up through 2007, I had never owned my own electric guitar, of any make or model. For some reason, my 2008 New Years resolution was to buy my first ever electric guitar. And my first thought was Strat, mostly because of EC and SRV.

So in January of that year, I borrowed a friend's Strat, and found out that I didn't get along with the controls. That Volume knob was just always in the way, as was the selector switch. Afterwards, several suggested Tele. And then my son bought a Highway One Tele, and once I played it, I knew. The rest is history.

dvh2, Greggorios and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

My first really good guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe with mini buckers, nice but seemed very stiff. Next I got a Penco Tele and an Ibanez lawsuit Tele, both were better than the Gibson ad I’ve bee a tee guy ever since. Yeah I have two starts ad a Epi LP that’s way better than the Gibby. But 90% of the tie I play one of my four teles. I get what I want out of them.

tah1962 likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

My first Fender was a Mexican Strat from the early 90s...BEFORE the Tex-Mex series. A year later I bought a Tele Special, which had a hum bucker in the neck and a 5-way switch. I couldn't decide which I liked better so I named them Betty and Veronica (of course, the Tele was Veronica)...which really ticked off my super-jealous psycho girlfriend at the time (now-thankfully EX).

About 15 years ago I sold the Strat to a buddy who still has it. After going through an archtop/rockabilly phase...teles are all I play now.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I came back to playing after a long hiatus. I dragged an old acoustic up from the basement and started playing. I really wanted an electric so I bid on a Nashville and won the auction. I nodded it until it was right for me. It’s my avatar Telecaster. I added an Annie and an SG along the way. The Telecaster remained #1. I added an American Standard Stratocaster and modded it until it became my #2. I got an FCS ‘69 Stratocaster a year ago. I’ve told the story before. This one just edged out my Telecaster.

I’m not going to call myself a Strat man. I’ll say I’m a guitar man. There’s a lot to love about all of them.

15. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I like the Tele's metal parts, metal knobs, body shape, headstock shape, and even its name.

Maguchi, mmannaxx, johnt33 and 2 others like this.
  16. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

I'll take the Strobotuner if that sucks.

17. Taurus

Taurus TDPRI Member

I absolutely love both. At first, I always thought I’d hate Strats because so many famous people use them but gradually I became to love them and my Fender Standard MIM Strat is just like perfection to me.

At the same time, I LOVE teles. When I got back into guitars 2 and half years ago, after a decade out I visited a guitar shop. The first thing I saw was a Squier Arctic White Tele and I just thought it was beautiful. I regret not being able to buy it at the time... yes it was a Squier but it looked stunning. Even now I’m debating which I prefer, Teles or Strats.

Considered many teles, haven’t pulled the trigger on buying one... yet. I need one, one day

RichCuellarPDX and Telecaster88 like this.
  18. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

I'm a similar way, for the first 8 or so years of playing guitar I was all acoustic--I liked electric music, but also liked acoustic music and just happened to have an acoustic guitar--I didn't take guitar that seriously at the time, just was into rock n roll stuff--it wasn't until my early-mid 20s that I bought a pretty nice refurb strat knockoff

But I was in the market for a new guitar two or three years ago, I tried every guitar in my price range in the three local stores near me and the top three were all teles

I'm still open to other guitars, but I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if I never found a guitar type I like better

LGOberean likes this.
  19. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like the tele neck pickup for jazz type stuff and the bridge pickup for lead playing but I also love a strat for its middle pickup lead playing and its middle and bridge combo for rhythm. I tend to like whatever I last played but I find myself playing the tele 75% of the time

Telecaster88 and 57fenderstrat like this.
  20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Do you still have the Tele Special?

That’s what my pinstriped “Big Tex” Telecaster started out life as...great guitars!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.