Tele Vs Strat Personal Steel Cage Match

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BRoberts, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I prefer Tele’s, maybe couldn’t list a whole bunch of reasons but, over the years, I’ve just come to accept it.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

In which case you have a matter of hours to change your mind before you are banished to the other channel forever, whether it’s working or not!

3. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I love them both and would hate to sell either. I play the Tele daily and take the Stat out for "special occasions" maybe 1 time a week.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, ... why not pictures in this thread so far?

I'd say keep one of each, but mod them.
    Tele gets a humbucker on a 4-way and the Strat gets a Hendrix angle and an Armstrong Blender.

[​IMG]

5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

If you feel you have to choose, that's your problem.

Murphcaster and Hatfield92 like this.
  6. StillAliveandWell

StillAliveandWell TDPRI Member

I have and love both my Strats & Tele.
    Sometimes I feel like a nut,
    sometimes I don't.

preactor likes this.
  7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We’re in the same ballpark, as far as mods. I prefer a neck bucker on my Tele.

0E0F5D83-EDF8-4335-A4C8-8C369F894D49.jpeg

8. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Bah! From my cold, dead hands!

I’ve visited that other site maybe once.

9. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

I'll join in.

[​IMG]

Jesse414 likes this.
  10. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

I couldn't agree more! In fact, I've written countless times over the years to Hendrix, Gilmour, Clapton, Beck, SRV, Johnson, Blackmore, Knopfler, etc. telling them they've got it all wrong, but they have yet to reply. :confused:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    dlew919, guitartwonk and Hatfield92 like this.
  11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

As I said on Strat Talk it's Strat+Tele for me. There is no VS in my house

20190830_214839.jpg

Owenmoney and Jesse414 like this.
  12. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

No VS here either... I use the one that's necessary for the task at hand.

Owenmoney and stratoman1 like this.
  13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

It all depends on mood, the song, the tones, even the weather. I gravitate more toward the Tele in Fall--sharp, crisp colors--and the Strat in Summer--soft breezes and underwater pastels. With lots of Gretsch and Les Paul and acoustic (and piano, and hammocks, and wondering where my keys are) deviations and fun in between.

You don't have to decide in any fixed way. Go with the flow, and all that groovy stuff.

But if I HAD to pick Tele or Strat...Jazzmaster, actually. As UGLY as they are. Does Tele and Strat well enough, and its own thing very well enough. But we're talking napalmed house and no time to grab 'em all kind of emergency decision, only.

preactor likes this.
  14. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I started with Strats at 11. Went to Teles in my mid 20s to mid 30s(although always had a Strat).
    Now it's been a good 2 years since I seriously played my Teles. I still have my '64 RI I raved about here for so long and my Paisley Partscaster but they are case queens now.

I can make a Strat sound like a Telecaster enough. I can't make a Tele do all the things a Strat does so I consider it the "lesser" option these days.

15. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm a pure tele guy so don't relate to the tele-strat debate. However I can relate cause I go through a similar back and forth with my Martin D-28 Authentic and D-18 Authentic. I go periods of weeks where I can't put the D-18 down and think I like it better. Then I'll pick up the D-28 and will latch on to that for a few weeks. I'll play them both daily but I'll dedicate 95% of my time to one or the other. I just go with the flow and play the one that makes me happy in the moment and try not to worry about which one I like better.

16. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the tele mostly because I play the bend it till you find it method, and a hardtail suits that style better I think. Plus I think I perceive the tele as a no frills workhorse guitar, the fewer moving parts the better.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No, not really, but I sometimes do it to two similar guitars if I want to sell one. The last time it didn't work.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’m a tele guy first and foremost. I currently have five of ‘em. I don’t own a Strat.

That said, I am currently in the process of head-to-head comparisons of teles to strats.

In 2008, I got it in my head that it was high time (after 40 years of playing acoustics) to buy my first electric guitar. I thought I wanted a Strat. In January of that year, I borrowed a friend’s Strat (MiK, IIRC) for a couple of weeks and discovered that I didn’t get along with them.

It was at the time because of the Volume knob and the selector switch. The problem with the former was its proximity to the bridge pickup. I have a habit of anchoring my pinky to the top of the guitar when I play back close to the bridge, and on that Strat, I was always inadvertently changing the volume setting. As for the selector switch, it was in the direct path of my strumming, and I was constantly changing the pickup selection. Then I played my first Tele (a Hwy 1), and I knew.

Recently, I decided to try again, to see if I wanted to add a Strat to my collection. For months, I’ve done periodic test drives of Classic Vibe ‘50s, Squier Standards, MiMs, etc. Here are my thoughts on them as of now.

The body of a Strat may very well be ergonomically designed, but I find no real benefit from the body contours. After 11 years of playing teles, I guess I’m just really accustomed to the slab of wood that is a tele body up against my torso. For some reason, the selector switch is no longer a factor; it’s not in my way. But the Volume knob’s proximity to the bridge pickup is still a problem.

One possible solution to that issue that I’m currently trying is a sort of Strat-ish Peavey Raptor Plus. Several weeks ago, on a trip to Tupelo, Mississippi, I impulse bought this guitar. The headstock and body are not really copies of a Strat, but it does have body contours similar to a Strat, and I still find that I don’t like them. But about the problematic Volume knob on a Strat, on the Raptor Plus it isn’t right up against the bridge pickup. In fact, the Raptor Plus has just two control knobs. Even so, I still find that the Volume knob is too close; I still find myself inadvertently changing the volume setting.

BTW, I don’t think I’ll be keeping the Raptor Plus. In addition to not liking the contours and control knob placement, I’m not finding the pickups entirely to my liking. They're ceramic, and they don’t have the sweetness of tone that I’m looking for. So I’ll continue to test drive, I think for at least a little while longer, but it’s looking more like my solution to adding Strat tones to my guitarsenal will be a Nashville type tele configuration.

And I wasn’t going to post pics, particularly of my custom teles (since it was pointed out to me that I do that a lot), but jvin248 said

So, here ya go, my five Logan Custom teles and the aforementioned Peavey Raptor Plus.
    10-08-2019 - Logan teles, Philco cabinet - 2.jpg 09-28-2019 - Peavey Raptor Plus - 1.jpg

19. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I was a Strat guy for about 20 years, but for the last few my tele has won out and I’m down to 1 Strat only. Just prefer the tension and string feel of the tele - still love my Strat however!

20. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Between a Tele and a Strat, I would choose a Gretsch...

But it's me, OK ? :D

That said, I'm planning to buy a Squier CV50 Tele... o_O

-tbln

Jesse414 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.