Tele Vs Strat Personal Steel Cage Match

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BRoberts, Oct 15, 2019.

1. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

Hey Everybody! I’m in the middle of my annual, personal, mental-blocking, Tele vs Strat steel cage-match-where I play all my guitars and try to convince myself which model I like better...or better yet why I still like Teles better!

First, have any or all of you experienced this kind of phenomenon?

And, do any or all of you prefer a Tele to a Strat due to the 3-saddle string spacing NEAR THE BRIDGE and the more drum-like string tension of the Tele design as opposed to the Strat’s more loose-y goose-y feel?

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I have always preferred tele’s. They just sound right to me. And they play right to me. Strat’s are great. Some of my favourite players play them.

But the Tele just works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kreepy and Owenmoney like this.
  3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

If it came down to one guitar it is a Strat for me but my Teles get a lot of action.I just use whatever serves the song best...problem solved.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’m currently in my own personal strat vs Tele struggle. Currently, I’m leaning towards my strat.

dlew919 likes this.
  5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Been playing 25+ years.
    Over the years I've owned two teles.
    Owned 12-13 strats, can't quite remember off hand.

I now own one Tele and no strats.

Seems like whenever I asked a strat for something more, I never got it.

Everytime I dug harder looking for that extra something my Tele always responded.

I wish I could explain it better, but there it is.

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I remember when I got my first Strat...an early Mexican model. A year later I got a Tele Special with a humbucker neck and a 5-way switch (also Mexican). I went back and forth and couldn't decide which I liked better, so I named them Betty (Strat) and Veronica (Tele)...something my highly suspicious, uber jealous crazy girlfriend flipped her lid about at the time (she was already jealous of the time I spent playing and going to jams). Veronica won out in the end: the Strat was the first to get sold. I've been a Tele man ever since. Oh, I've tried archtops and Les Pauls and even tried going strictly acoustic. But I'm a Tele guy through and through.

I don't know if I have the stomach for your cage match. It's going to be brutal. Even now, I think, "Poor Betty..."...right before I reach for one of my 4 Teles! ;):D

Owenmoney and BRoberts like this.
  7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I have 8 Teles and 4 Strats. I'm still a Strat guy. What again was your point?

Owenmoney and dodona like this.
  8. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort TDPRI Member

I've had my tele for just about a year now and I'm just now discovering how versatile the Tele is.
    My Strat is still my number one but not by much

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Tele, nuf said.:)

10. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Been playing my Thinline like crazy lately, and tonight picked up my beloved strat for the first time in a long time... One of my nicest playing guitars... And I couldn't make hide nor hair of it.

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I might feel differently if I had different guitars from the actual (and only) Strat and Tele I happen to own, but my nod ( since 1997 ) goes to my Strat.

Both have great, representative tones in all pickup positions, comfy necks and fingerboards.

But my Tele ( MIM) is very heavy and a little ' body dull' , whereas my Strat is feather-light, has its own funky acoustic tone, and though I don't go crazy with it, a whammy bar can be very expressive in the right places ( subtle chording stuff)- it's a better overall tool for what I'm going to play.

So based on my own guitars, it's my Strat!

12. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Okay, steel cage match style.....

Spank my ash and call it sanded!

I thought Strats had their own foru...well sometimes they do! =)

Don't be afraid to admit it Strats...ya don't use 2 of those pickup selection positions anyways!

It is no coincidence that those dual cutaways kinda look like horns.....of the devil!

Teles all the way!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Owenmoney likes this.
  13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I only use strats as "wardrobe" guitars and mostly when a track calls for trem action.

Strats sound a lot "emptier & weaker'' than teles to me although they are great for some things.

I don't use 3 saddle bridges,all my teles automatically get a modern Gotoh brass bridge,and all my teles have the same string spacing with my strats anyhow so I don't know what exactly you mean.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

After my strat surf guitar days, I found the tele. Since then it has been a struggle to get excited about the strat, even though it has my favorite neck. I came very close to selling it off, but I finally decked it, upgraded the pickups and it became a blues guitar for me. Nevertheless, the tele gets played 5:1 compared to the strat. I can't fingerpick the strat and that middle pup is in the way of the pick too. It slides of my leg if I'm sitting while noodling as well. The tele is way more easier to play and seems like a battle axe compared to the sexy strat. That said, some of the tones from the strat are to die for and probably could never not have a strat.

Ricky D. and preactor like this.
  15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

What exactly is the point of this thread other than to incite arguments? Strats and Teles are the two best solidbodies ever made, except for Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Mustangs, LPs, SGs, Firebirds, etc. Just like maple and rosewood are the two best fretboard woods, except for ebony, pau ferro, etc.
    And mahogany and rosewood are the two best body woods for flattops, except for maple, koa, walnut, etc.
    Get my point?

16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

There is no chance

Tele All day long

Tele is a good guitar

Strat is a mistake, wrong shape, wrong vevels, too much plastic, 3 anemic pickups, position 2 and 4 make me puke, vol pot is too near the strings, too much holes in the wood, controls are wrong, jack plate in the wrong place, headstock is ugly (albeit I like the 70's big one)... just a waste of time, is begginers guitar even there were some good guitar players that used them nevertheless

BRoberts likes this.
  17. dodona

dodona TDPRI Member

what 'Tele Vs Strat Personal Steel Cage Match'?
    Its quit clear, that the Telly is a real guitar whereas strats are toys!

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Click bait!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  19. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

It sounds you have too much free time.

20. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

"There never seems to be enough time, to do the things you wanna do...once you find them"

Thank you for all the replies and please continue(if you want), but the second part-
    about the almost drum-like string tension and wider spacing at the bridge are extra Tele attributes which have Tele winning the match!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.