Tele vs Strat! Leo got it right the first time

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by klobasa, Mar 20, 2020.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

The position 2 Strat sound is one of the most unique and instantly recognizable sounds in the history of electric guitar. What's not to like?

I'm a believer in product improvements...sure, there's nothing cooler that playing a vintage piece, but I think that most of the time the improvements that were done were to the benefit of the instrument, and the player.

Sure, I did that for years, once it became known about the in-between sounds but before the 5-way switch was readily available. As soon as the 5-way switches were available, in they went.

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I won’t dispute that, for sure. It’s just never been something I use personally, so the 5-way gets in my way.

2HBStrat likes this.
  3. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

In preference order (based on sounds only, otherwise the Les Paul would be dead last): Strat, Tele, Les Paul, 335, SG. But they’re all awesome for a guitar nerd like me.

4. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Well, this is basically a Tele. Body, neck, tele bridge, that's what makes a guitar a tele, tonewise.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 6:08 AM
  5. superjam144

superjam144 TDPRI Member

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The guitars I've made over the last 10 yrs have been Tele and Mustang shapes... and more recently a few Tele basses...

from a production POV... the curved neck pocket/heel is a better idea...

as most of us know when the E-e gaps don't line up exactly at the base of the neck its common to bump the headstock one way or the other to equalise them... no worries...

but consider a square heel pocket... if/when the jigs move a bit as tooling jigs wear ... the bridge might sit slightly off blueprint..

when you assemble and need to nudge the tele neck a bit... any movement at the headstock lifts the heel off the pocket.... stand a ruler up on the table... the slightest move at the top has the ruler shift contact to one corner or the other......no contact across the heel...

with a strat curved heel/pocket, a slight mis-alignment at assembly needing the neck bumped a bit will have two curved surfaces moving across each other with no loss of contact across the heel. too easy..

on a tele any sideways E-e adjustment needs to be at the bridge if you want to keep full heel contact...not so?...

whether Leo and George thought of that from a production pov and changed to a curved heel, I don't know?... :)

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

and... with a curved pocket he could use a larger dia router bit... rather than a thinner 1/2 bit to get the square corner,,, less breakages and longer tool life with a bigger bit,,, maybe go faster too... though the tele pocket was modified some time later on the corners, not sure when ?..

that curved pocket aspect could be considered an improvement over a square one...in a factory,,

AAT65 likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I went Tele crazy beginning about 10 years ago. Then, over the years, my enthusiasm faded. I still like them but, if I could only have one guitar it would be a Strat.
    I still reach for my Tele first because I have an attachment to it but it’s more limited tone wise than the Strat. I Still prefer the look of a Tele.

9. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

I like the way they both sound but the sounds you get from them are their own. I dont get the funky slap out of the tele like I do the strat an the strat has a lot more natural chorus between the strings than the tele does. Tele is a straight forward type of no frills sound that country loves. apples and oranges I like em both :)

10. superjam144

superjam144 TDPRI Member

I had a strat but once I got the tele, I never played it again... I still have to utmost respect for them, and my favorite players used strats.

11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Yes, he did.

I sometimes wonder if he did so well because he wasn’t a guitarist.

By which I mean, while he consulted with and listened to performing musicians, I wonder if he could also bring some form of unbiased outsider clarity to things?

Pax/
    Dean

12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Completely ignorant in terms of playing but still knowledgable in terms of engineering, electronics etc.

Could also be relevant that he listened to multiple guitarists, so whatever conclusions he drew from that were more likely to apply to "everyone" than to be the result of some kind of personal quirk.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.