Tele vs Strat! Leo got it right the first time

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by klobasa, Mar 20, 2020.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

This ^ is the most AMAZING aspect of these guitars.

I do, however, think that there have been some significant improvements/tweaks since the VERY first Teles. I prefer a toggle selector switch, truss adj at the headstock, 9.5 radius, med-jumbo frets, rear body contour, yada yada. But, Leo did get the basic core of the beast so right that only tweaks were needed for improvement.

I've loved Strats since I started playing them in the early seventies. In the last decade, however, I've discovered and come to ADORE Teles.

At this point, if I were FORCED to choose ONLY one or the other.... I would choose:

[​IMG]

But if possible, I'd take this TOO

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

As much as I love Teles, I can improve on the original design by converting to my preferred wiring scheme: 1) bridge pickup without tone pot, 2) bridge pickup with tone pot, 3) neck pickup without tone pot.

He got the Esquire pretty much perfect right from the start, though. Close, anyhow (I prefer the modern Eldred variation).

He got the first production Strat more right than the first production Tele. Only thing he goofed on was using 100K pots, which was fixed within a few months of its release. Other than that, perfection; nothing else they’ve ever done to it has improved it.

Next major guitar introduction: the Jazzmaster. That one was perfect from day one that it was sold.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Well I think the opposite. Is ugly and nasty I wouldn't play that thing ever

For me everything is wrong... To many inane pickups that sounds bad, combinations are wrong, position 2 and 4 are the worst sound ever, add a reverb and it makes me puke. Vol pot is at the wrong place, tremolo is wrong, tones are stupidly set. The input jack is wrong as well... Too mucho rounded too mucho horns. Belly and arm profiles only work if you play at your sofa. Headstock is ugly, body has too many holes. Is the most uncomfortable guitar ever

Well... I think is enough

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Strats are among the most enduringly beautiful industrial designs ever. I’d play them all day, every day.

For me everything is right … the three pickups each add their shade to a fundamentally beautiful tone. Add some reverb, and it’s heavenly. the volume pot is within easy reach, the tremolo adds a tasty option. The tones knobs are stupidly set but it takes a mini bit of wire to put that right. The input jack is a clear improvement over the tele one, although it’d look wrong on a tele. Deliciously curvaceous and sleek, and beautifully balanced visually and ergonomically. The belly and arm profiles make the playing experience just a tad more comfortable in any position (tho again, I can’t abide them on a tele). The headstock is beautiful (even the 70s big one has its charm). [Won’t comment on the holes as I don’t understand the remark :lol:]. It is probably the most comfortable solidbody in existence.

I’d say we agree on all the key points :p

5. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Leo made good early attempts with the Tele and Strat but his culmination was of course the Swinger:lol:

6. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Is it OK to like them both?:D

ChickenKiller likes this.
  7. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

I have the same issue with strats and the position of volume knob, so I did some modifications to mine. Mine is an HSS so I removed the knobs and where the volume knob hole is I added a mini toggle switch for coil split, then wired the guitar for master volume and master tone because it bugs me not having tone control for the humbucker. Now it's a superb instrument after this custom modifications.

GDR

8. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

In fact leo missed three times in a row!
    He got most of it right with the second try or later.

Telecaster:

He ignored the need for a truss rod.
    The controls were designed badly. That's why they were changed for good)
    The much too fat necks.

Stratocaster:

The first vibrato was a mess, he had to start from scratch.
    The missing tone control!!!!

The Fender bass:

The pickup. The body shape.

But many players like the shortcomings, there's a lot of romanticism involved.
    No doubt a shaped body, a five way switch, a flatter radius and the like are real improvements. That's why most Fenders got improved in detail and that's standard now.

And still there are many flaws remaining in many Fender guitars:
    Small radius. Bulky neck joint. Tele switch too near to the vol pot.
    Tone control for bridge still missing in many strats.
    The need to remove everything to access electrics.
    The uncompensated tele bridges.

Luckily there are so many choices that it's easy to find a Fender without those inherited flaws.

9. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

How nice! A competition over which guitar the rhythm guitarist should play while the star shreds on his Les Paul :) (let the flogging begin!)

Frodebro and AAT65 like this.
  10. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Aaaahhhhggg You killed me!!! :eek:

Reverb!! uffffff!!! no thanks!!! :lol:

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. rasr1

rasr1 Tele-Meister

I have big hands, therefore I like fat necks. I don't see that as a flaw as much as a personal preference. The necks on the current production models are too thin for my liking, but I'm not calling that out as a flaw in the design.

El Marin likes this.
  12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

I have a CS '55 strat with a fat neck and I like it very much, too, even if I don't have too big hands.
    But as a normal size this is not ideal and was never. There's a reason for smaller necks.

13. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Meister

Some may think what a jerk however I see the dry humor while you are making your claim and error of boasting about an SG being so grand a guitar haha

Good Whitty post Lol.

14. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Hammer versus screwdriver versus toaster oven. All different tools for the job at hand. Love my Teles and for that job there’s no substitute. But it’s kind of silly to say that guitar A is "better" than guitar B.

15. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I started with a Hohner strat; later I bought one of the then new Squier Strat our of Japan. But I never really gelled with them. I picked up my Tele via a detour round a Rick.

The Tele is much more my thing than the Strats ever we’re so that pick would be easy.

A couple of years back though I picked a Jazzmaster which I think is absolutely great. If I were to have to pick between the Tele and the Jazz now that would be a far more difficult choice

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, Jazzmasters are awesome. I have two Strats, a Tele, and a Jazzmaster in my collection and I love them all.

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Apparently, all Leo initially intended to do was design a solid, reliable electric guitar that could be amplified without feedback and sounded like a loud acoustic. Reckon he achieved that with the Broadcaster / Tele. After that he want on to improve the guitar he'd designed. The Strat was the result, he didn't even see it as a new project, just an evolution. I wouldn't go as far as to quote the old adage that there's not a good idea on Earth that you can't b****r up by improving it but........................well Strats are OK but the whammy bar does nothing for me, middle PUP just gets in my way and standing up the contours are hardly essential. Still have a couple, they do get me some different sounds but it's still the Tele for me.

18. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Nah! You're just a rich git with more guitars than the rest of us. Still, so long as your kids have food, shoes and clothes...................................Joking, honest!

mistermikev likes this.
  19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

At a push you can use a screwdriver as a hammer, but, then again, you can hemmer in a screw. Guess the point is that I can nearer to all of the tones and sounds I want with a Tele rather than a .

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Nurse!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.