tele volume

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by oceanblue, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:48 AM.

Do you mainly control your tele volume with the amp or the guitar?

1. Amp volume

2. Amp master volume

3. Volume control on the tele

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

So do most set the amp volume and leave it, controlling volume after that with the tele volume? Or do you constantly adjust the amp volume, whether volume or master volume, even if with a pedal?

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Chikubi

Chikubi TDPRI Member

I usually set the amp to where I need it, then use the guitar volume if I have to reduce it from there. That said, I rarely adjust volume and usually leave it dimed with the amp set to be as loud as required for the situation at hand.

3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

On Fender guitars I use amp volume mostly because I play at home sitting in a chair and play clean, so I'm not trying to roll off amp breakup etc. On the amps of mine that have a master volume I set it and forget it. I do use my guitars' volume knobs if I'm feeling lazy, but the pots on my Tele need cleaning so it gets a little scratchy if I do.

On my SG and Epiphone 339 I do use the volume knobs on the guitar all the time, because the pickups are much more sensitive and can get hot fast.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Well let's see
    I set up the guitar amp sound, with the guitar NOT at full volume.
    So I've got a little bit of control there.
    I have a boost on a couple of my amps.
    I have a Bad Bob Boost on my pedal board
    I have a drive pedal set up for leads that I'll kick in, and that's usually above unity
    My Tremolo pedal has a volume pot on it that's usually up a little bit to keep it out front a little bit more.
    Of course - when I have any of those things running, I'll adjust my guitar volume to compensate.
    Once I set my amp I rarely adjust the channel or master volume.
    ( I also have an EQ that's NOT on my board that I'd use to cut things occasionally.)
    ((full disclosure, I've got a Volume Pedal that I've used from time to time, also not on my board))

So I guess it's guitar volume.

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

on single channel amps, i ride the guitars volume control. usually i set it dirty and roll it back for cleans. on two channel amps or if I'm getting drive from a pedal, i just leave the guitar volume dimed. if i can get away with it, i prefer using amp gain though

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Almost never touch amp or guitar volume. Set the amp volume where it needs to be for the situation and play dynamically with my picking. If I need loud/more, hit a boost pedal. Less, lightly finger pick.

black_doug likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I set my volume, and tone on my amp.
    My pots (tone and volume) on the guitar are always dimed.
    I dislike potentiometers on guitars.
    I occasionally hit them with undesired results.
    I control my volume mostly with playing dynamics.
    Thanks for asking.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    Greggorios likes this.
  8. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

I use the Tele volume for less of it. For 'more loud' I kick the amp to 'jump', which is on my hand-wired Rozdall basically a solo feature.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 10:21 AM
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

As a rule amp volume is set where it needs to be in the situation. From there it's guitar volume (if I want to change gain and to an extent tone) and a clean boost if it's only about taking the volume up for a solo.

But what situations are you talking about? Practicing, recording and live playing might demand different approaches.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a Gibson guy I used to always play wide open on the guitar and use the amp volume. Once I switched to (mainly) Fenders, now I use the guitar volume.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

The first way you said.

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I use a 5e3. As I advance the volume control, the amp goes from too quiet to max volume very abruptly around 2-3. I usually set it at 5-6 and just use the guitar volume.

13. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

For me, playing a Tele is a bit different than playing a Strat due to the relative imbalance in output between the Tle neck and bridge pickups. So I set the amp for the neck pickup. When I switch to the bridge I play with a lighter touch and/or I slightly reduce the Tele volume control. If I switch back to the neck, then I also restore (turn back up) the Tele volume control.

On a Strat, you can switch between the pickups easier (no volume control adjustment or change in right hand technique).

So I approach the two Fender models with a little different playing technique. I don't think about it much as it is second nature these days.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

I fiddle with my amp settings all the time - in the sense of, I don’t have a preferred go to and leave it setting that I use all the time. Some times I’ll use one combo of settings, next time I’ll use something different. But, once I set things up on an amp, I tend to leave things alone after that for that practise / day / whatever.

However, when I’m setting up I have the guitar volume and tone rolled off a bit. I couldn’t say how much, just a twist back.

So, once I have the amp (& pedals) set to ‘today’s flavour,’ I have two directions I can go with volume and tone on my Tele, ‘more’ or ‘less.’ Add to that my boost pedal, and I can also go ‘much more’ with volume. Depending on what amp and what I’ve done with it, ‘more’ and ‘much more’ might just result in more volume, or tone changes too.

Hope that makes sense.

Pax/
    Dean

Greggorios likes this.
  15. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I set the amp until the tubes sound good and then dial in volume with the guitar .

Greggorios and rangercaster like this.
  16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Bill, was that a typo, an analogy, or a reference to your position on firearms? :twisted:

Greggorios and brookdalebill like this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Indeed a typo, looks like I need to bump up the strength of my readers!

Greggorios and LGOberean like this.
  18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I voted with the majority, which I didn't know was the majority until after I cast my vote. (I like a poll set up that way.)

At gigs, I almost never touch the amp once I've set it up like I want it. My tele's Volume is then either dimed, or nearly so, and control from there. Same with Tone knob, BTW. And truthfully, I don't even do much tweaking of volume via the guitar during the gig.

At home, I tend to twirl knobs more. I do my experimenting at home.

Greggorios and rangercaster like this.
  19. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

No, there’s a question! Just had this conversation with my teacher. He suggests setting the guitar to 10 (11 if you have it!), and then setting the amp to give the desired volume.

I’ve always set the guitar to 1/2 way and then set the amp to a ‘reasonable’ level. My reasoning is that I can then instantly back off or increase volume from the guitar. On a couple of my guitars I’ve fitted a ‘max’ toggle switch which completely by passes the volume pot to give an instant boost for solos and instant reversal once they’re done.

The issue I’ve never got to grips with is when a review says something like ‘rolling off the volume cleans things up nicely’. In the real world I may need a clean sound at high volume. Never worked that out.

Greggorios likes this.
  20. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

See my later post. How does this relate to playing in a band. To play a number needing a clean sound you lower the volume. Does the rest of the band drop Tge volume too?

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.