1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele twins from scratch

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by maumari, Aug 8, 2009.

1. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Hi everybody, after successfully completing a recent 4 string bass totally from scratch (bubinga, maple and ebony), I went to my dad's birthplace (200 people in the summer period) for the summer holidays, in the central Italy Appennines, bringing with me my guitar building tools and some surplus parts to build a tele for my 11yo son.

I met the local carpenter at the pub and asked him for a walnut or chestnut (the mainly available local timbers) board to make the tele body (I have the bass neck maple outer parts to join for the neck...). Suddenly he wowed, telling me that the right timber to make a guitar is maple and he just had 3 long planks about 20 years old stored somewhere. He said that the dreams of it's life (he's about 70 years old) has always been to make a guitar so he would give me the wood for free (!!!). The next day when I met him he was sad because he had discovered that the wood was all worm-eaten, but he said also he would try to recover something.

He "recovered" two boards made with two joined pieces (sort of quilted maple) and two maple blanks for the necks, all doubled "in case ...". All for free.

Now I'm gonna start a double parallel building of the twins teles to teach him the few things I know, but I have the parts for one only, the other will be fitted when I'll get back from vacations.

I'll post the progress here.

Sorry for the low quality of these first shots, next will be better.

Mauro

Attached Files:

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

The slabs (bookmatched, I presume) look like a variety of a flame & burled maple? Are the other two slender boards for the necks? All in all will make a great looking, but heavy (weight-wise) tele guitar(s). You may want to consider a chambered body, with a nice front cap to help get some weight out of these. They'll still have a really bright sound with decent pickups on them, though. Keep us all posted on the progress.

3. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

I was already considering the weight factor, but the slabs have a depth of 4,5 cm and I don't know if I can find two tops for two chambered bodies.
    Maybe I could ask the carpenter to cut a slice (0,5 cm - 1/5" or so) from the slabs and then make the chambered bodies with the slices on top.
    And yes, the two slender boards are for the necks.

I'll let you know, tomorrow I'll proceed with some cuts.

Mauro

4. Engraver-60

If the slabs are already 4.5 cm (1.77") and then you have the carpenter take a slice of 0.635 cm (1/4") minus the band saw blade and kerf, you'd be pretty shy of the 1.875" tele thickness. Maybe find a decent thin set of boards for the rear, and have the chambering done to the top from the rear, and have those slabs planed to give you a total of the 4.763 cm (1.875") thickness. Like a reverse of Will Hesch's build (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/172859-2nd-project-double-bound-thinline.html#post1972960) I don't know if thinlines are a different overall thickness or not. Someone else would have to verify that.

5. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Day #1

I finally opted to make a normal "the Hulk" full weight one and a chambered/thinline or whatsoever will come out.
    We'll cut the second slab in slices (= more tops to go!) and use one to cover the other twin with an ash or carved maple body. That's it!

Yesterday I cut the trussrod channel into the first neck and marked the cut line into the body and the neck itself and brought them to cut to the carpenter (he said he wants to and I gain the time to pass the final coat of truoil to the body and neck of my 4 strings bubinga bass - a growler).

Here the shots.

Mauro

Attached Files:

6. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Looks cool. [​IMG]

7. Engraver-60

That's gonna be a great neck. Keep on posting. Are you going to make the truss rods, or buy them?

8. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

I got one "Double Dual Action Truss Rod" from Rockinger (got it from Germany - I live in Rome, Italy) for one neck and will make another one by myself.

In the meanwhile I just finished the 4 strings bass (the "Chicken bass" - attached image - design and name by my daughter Barbara) and started the design of the 5 strings singlecut one.

Mauro

Attached Files:

9. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Day #2

Necks and bodies cut, my friend the carpenter holds one body to cut a slice, then carve the body and put the top back.

Later I will go back to its lab to cut the 5 strings bass neck and wings, and show him how to carve the neck profile with the spokeshaw, how to radius the fingerboard and install the frets.

Attached Files:

10. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Day #2 - evening

Got the sliced slab back, slotted the first neck for medium frets, cut the body through neck for the 5 strings bass. That's enough for today!

Tomorrow I'll slot the second tele neck and carve both. Maybe I'll empty the second tele body and glue the top on.

here some shots

Mauro

Attached Files:

11. Engraver-60

All of your builds are looking Marvelous, Mauro. Did the truss rod access hole work out? Looks like the Jacobs chuck of the drill might have helped to setup the angle to the truss rod cavity.

12. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Yes, the chuck helped for a perfect vertical agle, but my "manual skill" didn't aligned the hole horizontally by 2 mm so I had to correct it with a round file. Now it's ok.

13. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Day #3

High Productivity.

Put the side dots, the fingerboard dots (epoxy + ebony dust + neon glow powder), radiused the fingerboard to 12" (from 80 to 600).

Exausted.

Mauro

Attached Files:

14. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Reprise

Today I ordered a bunch of parts to continue the build, now I'm just choosing PU: too many possibilities, I like Fender Vintage Set ones (already installed a pair) but ... any suggestion?

Thanks

Mauro

PS on friday I'll be country side again and will get back at work on the "twins"

15. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Day #4 & #5

Back in action!

Waxed the bottom plate of bridge pickup (Fender Vintage) on another tele (Mustang Sally) then I cut the frets, marked the position dots and cut the trussrod stripe for the second twin neck. Following I made the tuner holes on both necks.

My son Richard (one of the Tele-twins future owner) helped me in hollowing one body, we made 51 holes by 1" depth (leaving 2/7" on the bottom, as on the top to apply later) with the forstner bit, then finishing it with the router. At sunset.

Still have to choose PU for both, suggestions needed!

Here the shots.

Next things back in Rome during the working week...

Ciao
    Mauro

Attached Files:

16. Engraver-60

Looks like their coming together, and it's great to get your son involved too. He'll never forget these precious moments with DAD.

17. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Double work, double time to wait to end them and play....

My son is 11 yo and now he's the same age I started playing guitar, but he plays drums since 7 and now he wants to learn guitar and he choosed guitar course at school for the next 3 years, we'll see!

He saw and photographed the attached sunset clouds there in the country where we usually go for the weekend; he said that "this is the same flaming than the guitars we're making" and he's right!

Attached Files:

18. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Hi mauro, looks bellisimo! Chek the tonerider "hot classic pickups" they are great!

19. maumari

maumari Tele-Meister

Day #6

Last night put some mixture of ebony dust and epoxy into the markers of the second neck (as on the first).

Today radiused the second fretboard on the second neck
    BUT
    on the last 400/600 grit passing some "worm" channels came out!!!

Damn...!!!!

I think I'll go ahead the same, this will be the "worm neck".

Any suggestion to recover the situation (apart from doing another neck)?

Mauro

Attached Files:

20. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why not just leave them as is? Gives the guitar character.

That maple figure look a bit like crotch figuring.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.