1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele tone dying out with Vox Wah?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rooboo, Aug 13, 2018.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Been playing Les Pauls for almost all my life. Switched to Teles about three years ago. I love them (I have two) but I also love me some Wah and I haven't found a way to mix them both. Both my teles die out when I play upper register notes with the Wah on. With humbucker this was never a problem.

Listen to this clip, from a gig we did last weekend. In my second solo I use the wha and as soon as I climb up the scales the tone almost disapear.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Interesting. I hear what you are talking about, but no I’ve not experienced that. In fact, I get the opposite. Sizzling high end that makes the insides of my ears itch.

rooboo likes this.
  3. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

Putting a wah to bass side and playing high notes as well as putting a wah to treble side a playing low notes might result in low output... a wah is boosting certain narrow frequency range and almost cutting everything else...

but that's not what I hear in the video... it sounds like a "faulty" wah... is it stock and which one is it?

Edit: Solo starts at 4:15

rooboo likes this.
  4. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

You can hear same high treble *clank* when you rhythmically hit the muted string... so the wah generally can produce treble... so I doubt that it has some custom added low pass that makes the higher notes inaudible... I also don't hear a compressor causing this.... It seems to be one of those wahs that have a remarkable treble boost in front-down-position... it might be that the internal transistor can't handle that much treble any more and gets unstable?

rooboo likes this.
  5. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Yes that's how a wah works and I love playing wah (constantly afraid of overuse). It's a regular Vox wah, the cheaper version, the all black one. I love it and have had this one for about five years. And as I wrote above, it works fine with the Les Paul. So it gotta be the tele (or pickups rather). Strange thing isn't it?

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

What I heard was the keyboards getting louder, more aggressive, eating up the sonic space, and washing out your guitar.

Sorry, but I think it was just a mix problem.

bluzkat likes this.
  7. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Yes this can be it! I love the Vox over a Crybaby since it got a wider range – at least to my ears. If you play it subtle (as I try to do) it's a really fantastic Wah for a cheap dollar. But since a tele bridge has more treble than a humbucker bridge this might actually be the problem. A treble overload in some way.

Though I must say I have not the technical skills to verify that this is physical possible, it makes a lot of sense. Anybody else have deep knowledge of how thigs like this works who can verify or deny this? If it's true I can just get me a second wha for the tele, something softer, like maybe a classic Crybaby.

Thanks for this info ct_anthony

8. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Ah thanks for input but no. This was just the first clip I came to think of. This is a regular issue for me – backing keyboars or not. And as I wrote in the orignal post, it happens with both my teles.

9. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Is that this one? The V847? I have the same one. I’ll try to make a point to listen with headphones later to try to hear what you’re describing. If it’s the same one, you already know that it’s a clean wah, but it does have a big sweep.

Always hard to judge anything for these types of recordings - all I hear so far is great-sounding guitar and killer playing! Thanks for sharing.

Attached Files:

rooboo likes this.
  10. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Oh thank you for kind words on my playing. Love to solo over that tune it's gonna be on our next record, which will be released late summer/early fall.

It's not that Vox, it's the other one, the all black cheaper one. It's called V845.

11. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

If you got a tubescreamer of some sort you might test the following: gain min, vol high noon, treble reduced and than place it before and after the way and try to reproduce it... the goal is to have a treble reduce signal with similar level and see how it behaves...

rooboo likes this.
  12. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Maybe your battery is going dead in the wah wah.

rooboo likes this.
  13. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Playing the Boss SD1 and it quite similar to the TS9. But if I do that, it'll mess up my normal tone. And we don't want that :) But I'm definitely gonna try it at rehearsals just for the fun if it. Thanks!

14. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Could be, but no, I'm using a DC adapter. Or a power tank really.

Crobbins likes this.
  15. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I had some issues with what you're describing (although I'm not hearing it in your recording. It's a nice juicy wah sound to me) with my Crybaby wah many years ago. It just didn't have enough "travel" into the higher register for me, so you know what I did? I opened it up and played with where the teeth of the potentiometer start on the teeth of the rocker. I eventually came up with something that worked. I also eventually switched out the original pot that came in my 90s Crybaby with a Hot Potz potentiometer. It sounds so much better than the limp-d!ck tone of how it sounded originally when I bought it.

I'd say give it a try of messing with the travel of the teeth of the pot a try. It'll give your wah an adjustment to the voice. Maybe use a silver sharpie to mark where it is now on both sets of teeth, then lower or raise accordingly.

rooboo likes this.
  16. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Thank you! Sounds like a great trick. I will try this as soon as possible. Kudos!

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  17. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

It is indeed a neat trick. A cheap one, too! You might find that you love playing through your wah wah pedal even more once you get it how you want it.

rooboo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.