Tele Thinline vs Tele Deluxe

mrbretward

TDPRI Member
I've always loved both the 72 thinline and deluxe. I want to know if anyone has one or both of these and what type of music makes them shine.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
'72 Thinline RI here. Very nice neck. It is pretty light. I use a suede strap so it doesn't neck-dive. I play blues, light rock, gospel, medium rock with a Signa Drive pedal. Great for finger picking, rhythm and some lead work. The stock WRHB RIs work great for me. My first choice for gigging.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've always loved both the 72 thinline and deluxe. I want to know if anyone has one or both of these and what type of music makes them shine.

They're less for clean tones and more for rock or blues tones.

The real difference (between these 2) to me is the switching - the added controls. The size of the headstock, the board radius is kinda something you get used to.

Thinline bodies can be lighter but these MIMs are often not. So, solid alder, or thinlined ash, often the same weight, difference between the two is kept in our minds but it doesn't come out of the speaker, in my view.

The pivot point is whether you gel with these Alnico substitute WRHBs because these do not have those Cunife polepiece pickups that all your hero's 70s USA guitars have. These are different. The closest aftermarket replacement substitute are these ones TDPRI member "Telenator" does. These replacements are not cheap.

Some guys are infatuated with the idea of these '72s. Just a cautionary note, that you can't just slide behind the wheel and take off and fly. IMO if you want trouble free cruising, these are not the right models.

4himthruhim

TDPRI Member
Mrbretward which deluxe are you referring they make a thinline deluxe but I have the 72 thinline ri and the American tele deluxe but I don't have the thinline deluxe if that's what your inquiring about. I love both my guitars they're just different. The 72 doesn't do clean well it sounds muddy to me but I love it when you throw some dirt it's a different animal. Does great blues rock etc. on the other hand my deluxe handles everything amazing clean and really bites in the bridge with some dirt and the tone backed off a tad. Will play anything the 72 will and more. If I knew the songs I was playing and it was a harder set I'm taking the 72 but if it's an assortment of country to rock ill take the deluxe. Also like the unfinished neck on the deluxe vs the finished 72 neck...just my .02

xtrajerry

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a couple of AV 72 Thinlines, the standard AV issue and the FSR AV issue. Both if these have the later version with revoiced WRHB pickups, they do clean very well. Have to admit I prefer the 9-1/2 inch radius and jumbo frets on the FSR but the vintage spec edition is very nice too. Also have an AV 72 Custom with the original RI WRHB pickups and the darker tone is great for heavy rhythms and crunchy blues stuff One of my recent acquisitions is a '72 Tele Deluxe Black Dove. Was surprised at how comfortable the rib cut is and the 12" board is a nice and fast. Even liking the big CBS headstock. The black dove pickups are a little disappointing, they sound ok but not complex like other P90's but then again this is the only solid body with P90's in the house. It was a demo/clearance model so I don't mind swapping pickups, deciding which ones is another story.

ironchefchris

TDPRI Member
I also have a 72 Classic Thinline. It takes a beating on some forums but I love it and have gigged it heavily for a few years now. Excells in jazz and bluess to my ears. It's neck pup is creamy and very warm...or "muddy" to some people, but not me. I think it's just a nice warm sound. The neck surprisingly has some serious tele quack actually out of that pup. For the pups alone I think it's very versatile.

It's also the easiest playing guitar I own. I dig the vintage frets and the baseball bat "C/U" neck plays great. It's nice and fat and works perfect for me.

They are workhorses too. Mine has been dropped...hard...like 3 or 4 times and somehow received no damage other than a chip in the finish (which is the thickest finish ever...and in my opinion the only downside to the guitar). Also, I didn't like the pearloid guard so I put a black one on mine to give it more of a vintage-y vibe.

Other guitarist in my band plays a deluxe and he was primarily a punk guy with that guitar and it definitely doesn't "breath" like the thinline does. Doesn't do cleans as well either even though the pups are the same (but his could be much older than mine). It seems to be a more rocking machine than a thinline for sure.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
They are workhorses too. Mine has been dropped...hard...like 3 or 4 times and somehow received no damage other than a chip in the finish (which is the thickest finish ever...and in my opinion the only downside to the guitar).

This is a good point and one we seldom ever talk about.

Everyone here has seen an archtop or a 335 or 335 copy that got crushed or smashed. True hollow and semi-hollow guitars do get annihilated and it is a heart breaker.

The Fender Thinlines are not like this. In all my years, I know of only one MIM USA or MIJ Thinline that got smashed, and that was a '69RI. For Thinlines, these are really rugged. Please do not attempt with a Rondo or GFS body that which these North American bruisers can handle.

premier1

TDPRI Member
I have both so to speak. First I have a Modern Player Thinline with P-90s maybe one of the most versatile guitars ever. Can be very warm almost acoustic like or blues,jazz country etc. I have a Chris Shiflett signature Deluxe while the pick-ups are hotter it is certainly more of a rock guitar but still versatile.

Jake D

Tele-Holic
I've had two of the '72 RI Thinlines (one natural and one with a three tone burst). The burst one was early and was super, super light. Thick ass neck on it. Low buzz free action. I just wasn't keen on the vintage frets and radius.
I had a deluxe too. It was cool if I were in a rock band or something I would have beat the hell out of it. That thing was solid. Big headstock and a big flat radius. Just never cottoned to the trans-brown finish.
Did I play them enough to keep them? No. Do I wish they were in a case under the bed in the spare bedroom? Yep.

Theslack5

Tele-Meister
I have a mim thinline that I use for the rockier moments in my live set (I mostly use a jazzmaster the rest of the time).I got a good deal on a used one and have been pretty impressed with it.I have put creamery WRHBs in it as I wasn't getting much note separation while picking with overdrive using the ones that came with it but now it's one of my favorite guitars.
I was tempted to get a deluxe before I got it but tried a few and could not get on with the 12" radius.

stephenyi

Tele-Meister
If you love both the deluxe and thinline, you can split the difference and get a tele thinline deluxe -- basically a 72 thinline with deluxe controls and modern neck specs. I have two versions, the classic player and modern player, with upgraded pickups.

DSC_1671_zps2e6e95ab.jpg

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...0-my-new-american-deluxe-tele-blown-away.html

The '72 MIM models sure has eye appeal, and it has more fans that never touched one that do any of the other Fender Tele models. We see people we admire using old '73 examples of the parent models and it gets our hearts racing.

One of the things about an AV52 or a No-Caster is, looking at it is not as good as holding it, holding it is not as good as playing it on the porch, playing it on the porch is not as good as playing it plugged in, and playing it plugged in is not as good as playing it at stage volume.

That's sometimes also true with these '72 reissues, but often not, or the increase in the heart rate is nowhere near so evident. Just my cautious thoughts.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Thinlines have that same big sound as other semis... You wouldn't think it would be so noticeable, but the top is carved not ply so they have a certain resonance that some bigger bodied (especially cheaper) semis don't.

My 69 RI sounds great through my little Orange.