1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele that sounds like a Les Paul with PAFs

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Angierc, Jun 26, 2015.

1. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

and ftr, i have a crappy indonesian squier tele custom, that sounds 95% like a lp. the pickups are woeful, but if i throw a decent pair in there, and switch out the pots (maybe do '50s wiring), it would be tough to tell that it's not an lp, with your eyes closed.

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

One of these might get you there...:)

K/Squire... semi hollow mahogany, set neck, short scale, HH.....:cool:

Attached Files:

3. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

dmoss74 and trev333 what are the model names and where could I find one? Any ideas? If I knew the names I could search for second hand ones.

Musikp that thing sounds awesome and on the neck pickups, I know right? Mud. The best neck pickup I have ever had is the p90 on my 60s tribute LP -chimey but not thin like a strat. I really love the look, feel and playability of a strat - but I hate the thin sound. Of course I have a Vox amp. Maybe it would be better through a Marshall? I love Tele's and the bridge/ bridge-neck, but not the neck alone. BTW: What kind of engineer are you? I am a software developer but I used to be called a software engineer, does that count?
    :cool:

4. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

Muzikp, sorry spelled your handle a while ago. What bridge are you using. I feel like adjustable wrap-arounds are extremely efficient. Also do your guitars have a 9.5 radius? And if so how does that work out with the bridge which I assume is a 12 or 14?

5. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Civil, I do roadway/freeway work mostly. And of course that counts :D.

I forget what bridge that is, but the neck is a 14" radius. I've done a few with 9.5" radius, some 12", whatever you use just have to groove the saddles in the bridge to match the radius.

6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I did flip it to try and tame the mud. Not sure if it helped any tho.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

From experimenting, you want to either have single coils in series (that is how a HB is built) or install humbuckers in your preferred guitar. Fender Strats and Teles put the single coils in parallel when combining (middle spot on the Tele switch); LP middle switch position puts two HBs in parallel like Fender but each HB is two single coils connected in series.

Pots and caps are next in importance in getting the LP sound after you figure out how to get series pickups. Fenders, especially Strats, most often have 250k volume pots and 0.0233uF while most HB guitars I've worked with all have 0.047uF caps and 500k volume and tone pots. There are variations, including 0.033uF used on some HBs while others have 1Meg volume pots.

Circuit linked is for a single Volume and Tone rather than the four-knob style used on some LPs - easier to install in a typical Tele.

Remember that all pots and caps can be +/-20% off their target value and still be 'in spec' so some experimenting may be in order once you start this new quest.

[​IMG]

8. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

Anyone use a maple neck instead of a maple cap on a mahogany body?

9. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

Interesting question. In a more general fashion, does a maple rather than mahogany neck have a great affect? Maple with rosewood fingerboard?

10. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

Also, is the general opinion that a 24 3/4 conversion would be the same, sound wise, as a normal 24 3/4 scale length?

Does anyone know if the Warmoth tilt-back Regal (LP) neck work with a standard tele body without an angled pocket (and tune-a-matic)?

11. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

12. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I would think a Tele Deluxe with humbuckers (NOT Fender WRHB) would nail a LP sound accurately enough.

13. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

I've listened to a lot of tele deluxes online and the overdriven tone has some LP in it but clean just sounds like a tele with the tone knob nudged a little.

14. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

Just re-read your post - you said without WRHB - with pafs it might work - good point. Now if I could find some examples of that...

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Wood composition and bridge configuration are critical here too. A Tele with mahogany body and neck, capped with carved maple and finished off with an ABR1 bridge, stop tail piece and a good set of PAF clones will get it done and probably sit in the lap a lot better than many LPs which tend to be very unbalanced and bottom-heavy. My $.02.
    Rob

16. TWork

TWork TDPRI Member

I normally go for a blackface sound. The closest I get to a LP/PAF sound with a single coil tele is by going through a VOX AC4HW using the 'High' input and hot switch on the tone stack on. You can get some great clean, crisp but just on the edge of hairy tones that remind me of the Duncan HB Antiquities.

I would consider trying a different type of amp -- VOX (EL84), Fender (6V6), Marshall (KT66?). Dollar for dollar, this is likely where you'll find the most significant change in your guitar's sound.

I understand we're in the DIY and not amp forum -- just thought it might be a helpful suggestion.

17. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

To my ear, it's all about scale length. Assuming you will be using LP style pups, the single biggest factor is that 24.75" scale.

Food for thought: Billy Gibbons, owner/ operator of Pearly Gates (which arguably has one of the best LP tones out there), uses a programable equalizer to make ALL his stage guitars (Teles included) sound like his most famous axe... So, realistically you could do it with an EQ. But where's the fun in that?

John

18. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I agree about the scale. However I think there is more to the equation. I owned a LP with SD 59 pickups. That guitar had the LP sound in spades. I currently own 2 USA Hamer 24-3/4 scale guitars one has Seth Lover and the other has 59 PU's that sound great but they don't have the LP sound IMO. I'm over the LP sound and pretty much play 25-1/2 scale guitars because that's what my fingers are used to.

If I was after the LP sound I'd buy a Les Paul.

19. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Yep - I agree - getting as many of the factors as close as possible will get you there.

A lot of it is about pre-amp active EQ - but EQs to not replicate a more naked tone - so I think it really depends on how pristine of a tone you want. BTW, a naked tone that is more LP like is likely not like a LP tone when overdriven and the other way arouond: To my ears there seems to be something else going on and it's likely more about the difference in mass of the guitar or perhaps how that works with the volume of the guitar being fed back in to the amp via strings picking up some tones... who knows?

I agree that the scale has a lot to do with the Les Paul tone, but if I ease the tone knob back a hair that seems to work if I'm playing at stage volume. A LP - tonewise - as a destination is over rated, if someone goes down that path and evaluates what they like and don't like along the way they will come up with something different that they will generally like more, but is similar to a LP tone: So, for those of us that want a specific scale or feel to the guitar; I don't think a we have to compromise what we like to get a certain tone.

Also, getting one LP to sound exactly like another LP is likely the same exercise :)

20. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

I am going for a clean clear LP paf tone first, then an overdriven sound, usually just at the point of breakup on up to where ACDC might be at - but mostly just completely clean. And I want all of that with a Fender neck because for me they are easier to play. Its true that I play mostly rhythm, but even when I do leads up the neck I do not like the flat radius.

A lot of LPs and their copies I have heard over the years are muddy, smeared, indistinct. That is an awful sound.

Also I think tone controls on a guitar are almost useless (I know, I know). A slight roll off might be useful in some situations but anymore just makes it sound you tone is coming out of a plastic bucket - it doesn't come close to producing the sound of a "darker" or "thicker" pickup.

In fact, I just realized the probable reason this doesn't work. All a passive tone control does is remove some of the higher frequencies - it can't add anything that isn't already there and even an active eq can only balance out sound waves already present, it can add anything that's not there either.

With medium to heavy distortion this effect is probably minimized by the fact that most of the under/overtones are coming from the distortion not the pickups/neck/wood/whatever.

Just some thoughts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.