1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tele Template Question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jbardt, Jan 23, 2021.

1. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

I am working on my first build and my template has a slot between the neck pocket and the neck pickup, as shown below:

1340C38B-EA4D-41C6-9657-9F12F88CB485.jpeg

My question: I’ve seen bodies with and without the slot. Which is accurate (or is it year based)? And which is preferred by most of you guys?

Thanks!

2. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

The slot is for drilling a hole into the switch Chamber. If you can get from the neck pickup to the switch without it, don’t use it.

crazydave911 and jbardt like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

There are two ways to run the neck pickup wires to the control cavity. One is to drill a hole with a long drill bit from the neck cavity into the neck pickup cavity and then into the bridge pickup cavity. From there a hole is drilled into the control cavity. Both pickups then can go to the control cavity from that one hole.

The other method is to rout the slot and drill into the control cavity and into the neck pickup cavity. I believe that is the vintage approach that was part of the process from 1951 to 1969 according to the Duchossoir book.

If you are not using the pickguard or you plan on using pickup rings, then the drill bit through the body would be the way to go.

The drill bit you would want is called an aircraft bit. Lowes and Harbor Freight sell them.

DEWALT 1/4-in x 6-in Black Oxide Coated HSS Twist Drill Bit in the Twist Drill Bits department at Lowes.com

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  4. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

My template has a wire cavity between the neck Pickup and the control cavity:

A1CE032E-EA3A-4F6C-A5E0-10D180A71ECC.jpeg

I plan to use that route, I’m just not a fan of the idea of the slot for some reason and was planning on just drilling from the neck pocket through to the wire cavity as opposed to slotting. But I also wanted to see what most people preferred/thought.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That route also served as truss rod adjustment access on the old necks with heel adjust rods. I don't use it on my builds anymore because those little chunks were fragile on woods like pine.

7. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

I didn’t even think about the truss rod part of it. The neck going on is a vintage construction Warmoth neck. So that slot would help for that.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Yep, I never knew about the drilling part - I only thought that slot was to improve the truss rod access on the early style heel adjust rods. If you put the diagonal rout in you just drill the connecting holes to the neck pickup and control cavities from the diagonal routed slot. Here is the trick to using one hole drilled with an aircraft bit from the neck cavity through the neck pickup cavity and into the control cavity. None of those other routs are needed.
    drilling neck PU.jpg
    Cheers,
    Rex

peterg, jbardt and crazydave911 like this.
  9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

^^^^^^ THIS :)

jbardt likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Fender do it this way too.... takes the neck corner/pocket corner mismatch out of the question...

neck pocket date.jpg

Dereksys38 and jbardt like this.
  11. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That slot is likely to give access to a heel adjustment wheel for a truss rod of that format. For those of us that use double acting truss rods with headstock end adjustment, the slot isn't required. I do not cut bodies with that slot. My first build had it and when I realized it served no purpose for me, I put in a solid block to fill it.

Bottom line...if you're not using a heel adjust truss rod setup, you don't need that channel between the neck pocket and the neck pickup. You can still drill for wiring as shown without the notch, too. ;) I do not cut the wiring channel between the neck pocket and the control cavity, either, for this reason.

jbardt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.