Tele/Strat Hybrid

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by thx712517, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:27 AM.

1. thx712517

thx712517 TDPRI Member

I had the chance to play Fender's whiteguard Strat from their alternate universe line recently. Telecaster neck, pickups, and controls in a Strat body. It was surprisingly comfortable and sounded quite nice to me, if wildly out of my price range.

What's been your experience with the hybrid, either Fender's official version or one of your own making? It had me thinking of buying a Telecaster off the shelf in my price range now, and a few years later getting a Warmoth hybrid body and switching it all over.

2. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

3. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

IMG_1064.JPG I love mine made from a Warmoth body and neck; play it the most of all my guitars, I guess. By "rolling my own" I got the things that I consider really important on a guitar. I need a wider neck for my large fingers and arthritic hands, and the Strat contours just seem to work better for me than the classic Tele shape. I really like the 4-way switch I put on the guitar that controls the Cavalier Pickups Fat Lion bridge pickup and the Fat Lion King neck pickup. Rob Distefano at Cavalier knocked it outta the park with these pickups! I can't get this sorta stuff with most off-the-shelf Fenders. This one stays in tune better than my partscaster Strat after big string bends.

20181115_152243.jpg

Added a more recent photo at the top in EDIT.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 12:57 PM
  4. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Pardon my ignorance but what does a four-way switch offer with two single coils? Neck, bridge, both and ?

5. JC_M

JC_M NEW MEMBER!

I quite like my Modern Player Tele, with a Tele pickup, a Strat pickup and a humbucker at the bridge. VERY versatile, and it plays like a dream. I'm thinking of upgrading the humbucker and the Strat pickup, but to your question about hybrids, I'd say this is a very successful model.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

upload_2019-12-3_12-6-51.jpeg

I'm not on Photobucket anymore, but look, someone has captured an image of one of my Squier 51s.

I bought 30 of these things. You can make them into Teles, pretty easy.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've been down this road a few different times, I think there are many paths you can take. Tele pickups and controls on a strat body works great IF what you want is a tele with a more comfy body shape. Strat pickup and controls on a tele body works great too, if that's what you want. The big thing is the bridge - you can only have a tele bridge or a strat bridge and it's going to impact how the guitar sounds, feels, and plays. It won't be "just like a tele" if it has a strat bridge, and vice versa.

I would also note that while I have had fun playing around with those hybrid things, I don't actually own one now, and my Nashville conversion of one of my teles is stalled, so maybe it's not all that essential for me. I would say, when "designing" a parts guitar, pick the #1 thing it's got to excel at, design for that, and if it can pick up other features or tones along the way without sacrificing Job #1, great.

So for instance my own version of a Nashville style tele has got to be able to do 100% of what a tele does, first off. So the switching will have bridge and neck together as a main choice, sacrificing one or two of the possible stratty sounds. If I were to make a tele-like strat, it would have to have a strat trem and a strat neck pickup since those for me are the basic essentials of a strat.

Those Squier 51s are super cool, though. Kind of its own thing to my mind.

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

They are definitely a different thing, because a Strat hangs a bit differently than a Tele. Here's a homebrew I built about a year ago. Ash body with a fat mahogany neck and 6100 stainless fretwire.

upload_2019-12-3_13-51-35.jpeg

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Sonny Landreth's custom guitar has a Strat bridge AND a Tele bridge iirc...well, actually its a Tele bridge and bridge pickup but with the Strat block and springs...
    upload_2019-12-3_13-4-37.jpeg

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Similarly, this hybrid has been my #1 ever since I built it years ago. Kinman vintage Strat p/u in the neck (*great pickup*), SD STL-2 in the bridge. Two-point tremolo and a hacked off Tele bridge plate. Ash body, contoured in back. Slightly heavier than a Strat but it does my bidding, lol.

IMG_1563.JPG

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well if OP can play like Sonny Landreth, he doesn't need our advice does he!
    Why would someone put a strat trem block and strings under a tele bridge? That's a lot of metal just sitting there.

12. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Superb, covers the LP realm too... IMG_20000201_091137.jpg

Mr. Neutron, joealso and RiversQC like this.
  13. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Here’s my Strat-ele. It’s hollow bodied with a solid bridge block. Initially it had a cheap acoustic pup in the neck sound hole and standard Tele Bridge set up. I did this as an experiment cos I play in an acoustic duo and wanted an electric guitar type acoustic that I could add a little punch to when wanted/needed.

The problem was the difference in pups, obviously the bridge way over powered the neck, so I got sick of having to adjust volumes between the two.

A97197CE-4899-405D-B3D1-F41F912B126C.jpeg

So I decided to scrap the whole acoustic/electric idea on it and go full electric. I went for a colour change in the bridge and control plates, put in some nice Wilkinson compensated brass saddles (love ‘em), an alnico 2 Tele neck pup, and now this thing sings like a bird. It has that typical Tele twang in the bridge, and I love either neck or neck/bridge combo the best. It’s one of my favourite guitars atm, just feels and plays like butter. You can see how the neck is already getting well played in. She’s about 2 1/2 years old now.

F2D25BF2-7E75-47E0-BC4F-BC9A509F82D9.jpeg

14. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

IMG_20190613_162143.jpg IMG_20190623_211349.jpg

15. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster TDPRI Member

Both in series and both in parallel.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Obvious when it’s explained, thanks!

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Nashville-- rewired it so I could still get neck + bridge. A very useful guitar.

On Strats I modify the wiring to be master volume and master tone. Then I use the extra tone pot to allow me to dial
    in as much neck pickup as I want. That way I can get neck plus bridge. Basically you run another wire from the hot neck wire
    through the extra pot and then to the volume pot. So when you are in bridge or bridge plus middle you can also dial up the neck
    pickup. All three pickups together doesn't do much for me on a Strat, but neck + bridge sounds very Tele-like, IMO, and is
    therefore a nice sound to have. There are other wiring options, too, of course, that get you Neck + Bridge on a Strat.

I agree that the really big difference is the bridge design, although some people put a metal plate under their Strat bridge pickup to
    help beef it up a bit.

Ricky D. likes this.
  18. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Pardon my ignorance but what does a four-way switch offer with two single coils? Neck, bridge, both and ???

Geez, I'm not the best person to explain pickup wiring in series and in parallel. I can follow a simple schematic for this sorta thing however, and the Cavalier pickups come with a 3rd wire for the grounding necessary to use the 4-way switch.

All I can say is that there is noticeable difference in the sound/tone when both pickups are in the series (I *think* it's when you have them in series...... :confused: ) versus in the "normally wired both pickups" middle position. Gets more kinda gnarlier with an increase in volume.

Hopefully, the other guy's explains and this meager attempt help somewhat........

19. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

I built a hybrid. Tele controls, strat body. One of my favorites, 62ri bridge pup, Texas special strat neck pup. 4 way switch. Chrome strat knobs and tip. Its almost a perfect crossbreed. I did refinish it in black laquer.

Attached Files:

GearHund likes this.
  20. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I believe you are correct Sir re the standard 4-way scheme.

In the case of my old school MM Stingray, the 4 way rotary switch is - bridge pickup, neck pickup, both pickups, and both pickups out of phase. I dig that last position for old school funk work. Don't have to bother with the series bit as the controls are meant to be set at the halfway mark so I can boost the volume and/or treble and/or bass for more output or dial them down and engage the boost switch which acts sorta like a parametric eq boosting the range of frequencies set by the bass and treble knobs. Its a very clever setup tho sadly folks didn't bother to read the owner's manual which explained all this. Leo IMB, IMG_20000201_090844.jpg was ahead of the curve.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.