TELE sound

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele-brator, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Tele-brator

Tele-brator TDPRI Member

do you think the sound of a fender tele (USA made possibly) should be considered "unique"? I mean do you think it's unique? Or maybe you think you can find that sound out of another guitar......tell me!

I personally think it's unique, but I, of course, want to hear your opinion

thnx ;)

2. Tele-brator

Tele-brator TDPRI Member

beacuse I haven't played a guitar that's not a tele in my whole life O.O

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Then you have nothing to compare with, right ...?!

Personally I think it's rather unique, but a recorded guitar may fool you all the same. Sometimes what you may think is a Tele, may be a Strat, an ES-335 or even a Les Paul Deluxe with mini buckers (Reggie Young on Dobie Grey's Drift Away).

4. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I think the BRIDGE pickup sound is unique, due to it's construction and housing. No other electric guitar has anything like the bridge pickup (except for Champion Lap Steels of course!).

Thanks,

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

I think a Telecaster has a distinctive sound, but so do so many other guitars. A Stratocaster has a distinctive sound, as does a Jaguar, Les Paul, and ES-175D. I don't think a Tele is any more unique sounding than those other guitars.

6. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

It's unique in as much as it sounds different to other guitars...then all guitars sound different I suppose. So in reality all guitars are unique!!

7. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

When Leo began thinking on terms of building a guitar so the ones who were playing what was called the "Spanish"type guitars,could have one that could imitate a steel.or there about.That is why the tele bridge is so bright.And it worked for him.Little did he know the success it would have on all types of music,,mainly today,,country.It knocked
    the 335's and large bodied guitars it the butt for that purpose.I'm glad for him and all that took up the tele as their main stay.I myself would never "mod" a tele.IMO,,they are just right for me.But to each his own. HAPPY PICKIN

8. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

you wont be able to tell the difference between MIM and MIA,given they have the same pickups.

9. kaiserthegreat

kaiserthegreat Tele-Meister

They do? I thought MIM was ceramic and MIA was alnico?

10. MountainPicker

MountainPicker TDPRI Member

The Tele is Very unique in comparison to most other guitars. I think thats why its so popular. I'm a huge fan of Teles, Les Pauls and 335s because they are all so unique. These 3 guitars are must haves for recording, IMO. Thats every tone in the spectrum. I'd like a Gretsch Chet Atkins and A hollowbody Rickenbacker someday.

11. Howi

Howi TDPRI Member

Being a new tele owner, I think it sounds hugely unique, feels that way too. :eek:

But as stated previously, in recordings, I can't tell beans. I couldn't tell a tele from an Ibanez or Les Paul. :D

Howi

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The MIM Classics are Alnico.

13. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Please don't quote me on this but I think from 06 back,
    the MIMs were alnico.I have a 96 that is alnico.

14. Krex1010

Krex1010 TDPRI Member

Can one of the most popular and widely recorded guitars of all time really be considered unique? Versitile, yes. Beautiful, yes. Amazing sound and playability, yes. Not sure about unique. Aren't semantics fun?

15. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I think Fender was the only company who made different pickups for every guitar, or at least many different pickups so I can only imagine they were made as a per application design which makes them unique.......... I guess.

Gary

16. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

I think that tele tone is absolutely unique and (to me) very ispiring!
    I've selled recently a yamaha and a Les Paul to buy my two teles and I'm very happy!
    The bassman playing with me last time I used my '80's Epiphone Strat with EMG PU said: "Ehi man, please next time use one of your tele, they're always better than any other guitar you've ever had!"
    Well, I agree with him...the teles are the most inspiring and full of the tone I want from a guitar, that are really uniques!

17. Butler

Butler TDPRI Member

Sometimes a tele can sound like a strat and vice versa.

18. James J LaRue

James J LaRue Tele-Meister

I've played a bunch of different guitars over the years and been into different things, but only recently got into traditional Teles. (though I've had a few bodies made off a tele template, but with tremolos, humbuckers, etc). 2 things seem to make the Tele stand out for me. First the bridge and bridge pickup assembly. I didn't think it would make that much difference, but even the modern style Tele bridges sound way different (to me, when I'm playing the guitar) than the old ashtray stye. The other thing is the (in most cases) lack of body contours. The added mass seems to make the guitar acoustically louder, or maybe it's not mass but the greater "sounding board" effect of a flat top VS one with an arm contour. This isn't science, I'm goin on hunches here...but I have an old Ibanez Roadstar that has no contours (tho double cutaway) and it has a similar acoustic loudness. So I build a strat body off of strat templates and didn't carve in any contours and there it was again with the volume. But I'm sure there are all kinds of really loud (acoustically) bodies with contours on them.

16 years ago, one of my instructors had a tele w/neck 'bucker that he used for Jazz. Ever since hearing that I stopped thinking of them as crispy country twangers only. The bridge/bridge PU seems to be where all that twang comes from. After all these years I'm only on my first Fender brand vintage style tele. It sounds nothing like shredder/metal guitars that have different hardware/pickups on a tele shaped body. Even with vintage fender spec all-maple necks.

I'm also surprised at the tone/volume I'm getting from a bolt-on. It's louder (unplugged) than my neck thrus.

My other often-used body shape is the V. I've noticed those have their own mojo too, where the 2 points resonate like a tuning fork, especially on the full-sized V's with equally-long points.

19. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

when i started playing in junior high....i started off with a univox high flyer....it drove my guitar teacher crazy ...never stay in tune....i found this book about music/ guitar equipment and it went into the different guitars ...strats and les Paul's were hot at the time....late sixties .....it said it was the most versatile guitar every made....it was the authors favorite .....going on that and many lawns later....i finally save up the 214.00 custom color. black..for a new 1970..tele.....i never looked back......love traditional style.....love the sounds you get out of it.....and yes love that chrome .....

20. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

Just as an aside, the sound I get from my Baja ( custom twisted tele neck and nocaster bridge) is much bigger than my USA strat. By bigger I mean louder and has a lot more presence. The bridge pick up I think is the best sounding pickup ever put on a tele. It cuts through everything and as a previous post said it can be used for jazz, blues, rock, anything. Of course it is particularly effective for country especially with a bit of compression.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.