(Tele) Seymour Duncan Broadcaster set Neck pickup (Used to be called STR-1) Too Dark.....

Numerov

TDPRI Member
I have a Mexican Fender Tele from 2001/2002. I found the stock pickups muddy and harsh. I was after a vintage tone that had "twang" with no ice-pick trebles and also had enough beef for classic rock territory.

I was recommended the Seymour Duncan STR-1 neck and STL-1b (broadcaster) bridge combination for what I wanted on several occasions.

I like the STL-1b (broadcaster) pickup but find the STR-1 neck pickup in comparison too dark with little character. Also it sounds like a poor tonal match for the STL-1b. If I have the treble on full on my tele and a high treble setting on my amp (peavey bandit 112 late 90's silver stripe) - then the STR-1 does sound better. But this setting is way too trebly for the STL-1b broadcaster.
If I have the tone set to make the STL-1b broadcaster sound good then the tone is too dark for the STR-1 neck.

I have read elsewhere that this is a well known issue with vintage-style tele neck pickups (possibly because of the brass cover??) - but I find it hard to believe that tele players have lived with this issue for years!

Here is a youtube video featuring the STR-1 neck pickup. It sounds excellent here. It also sounds excellent in the middle position where it is engaged with the bridge pickup (I don't know what bridge pick up is in use here). If the STR-1 neck pickup sounded like this in my Tele - I would be very happy!!!

I don't know if the STR-1 installed in my guitar is faulty or has not been installed correctly?

I didn't like the original stock pickups (from 2001/2002) - which is why I swapped them out - BUT the tonal balance between the original stock neck and bridge pickups was fine.

I want to hear from anyone who has installed the Seymour Duncan STR-1 neck and STL-1b (broadcaster) bridge combination. Please tell me your experiences.

If you have had the same experience as me - what did you do to achieve a more even tonal balance between bridge and neck pickups?

Thank you

Numerov

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Plated brass cover is most of the problem there.

One of the Antiquities has a nickel silver cover. So I'm told. If you want to stick with SD.

I like my Cavalier Lion King a lot.

The SD Broadcaster is a good pickup. I'd think the Lion King would pair well with it. Call Rob.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That is one of my favorite sets and haven't found that darkness you speak of, but then they were installed about 8 years ago and maybe something has changed.

One of the funny things about "vintage tone" is it sort of depends on how far back you go in the lineage. Remember, the tele started out without a tone control, it was a blend feature and the neck had a very dark tone on purpose because there was no electric base guitar yet.

Numerov

TDPRI Member
I've had that very set. The vintage brass cover on the neck pup is too dark. Attenuates the treble

I've had that very set. The vintage brass cover on the neck pup is too dark. Attenuates the treble.
Do you just live with this or have you tried to do something about it?

If you have tried to do something about it - what options have you tried out?
How successful has each option been?

Big thanks!

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I have them and haven’t noticed the neck seeming dark either. But it would seem worthwhile to try a nickel silver cover pickup.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
Actually for the guitar in ?, I got a SD Antiquity I & paired it with an old Fender neck pup that I've had for eons. They play very well together. :)

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
i changed the cover to a nickel silver one and now i really like it!
you could also disconnect the tone pot for the neck only, so it is just active for the bridge

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
darrenriley.com has Fender covers for $5.00-6.00. They don't say nickel-silver on his site, but he confirmed in e-mail that they are.

That's the cheap, simple way to get more high end and articulation.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
Changing Tele neck pup covers aren't always an easy thing to do. You run the risk of damaging the pup. I'd sell & get another that better suits the situation.