Tele recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gorquin, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Gorquin

Gorquin Tele-Meister

Hey All,

I'm not well versed in the different Tele models over the last 20 years or so and I know there are a lot of knowledgeable members here so......

I have '94 G&L ASAT Classic that is nice but WAY to heavy to gig. I believe it's 9+lbs.

I'm not a great player but not too bad and we're looking at adding some southern rock tunes to our list. I find that doing (attempting) those short fast explosive leads like "I Know A Little" are easier on the G&L because of the narrow neck with 1 5/8" nut because I have small-avg sized hands and don't have long fingers.

So I'm looking for recommendations on Teles that have a more narrow neck. Something used max $800 and I'm not too concerned about the pickups or hardware as I'm good with mods and setups.

Thanks much !

2. Gorquin

Gorquin Tele-Meister

I should have added that I don't want a 7.5" radius. A 9.5" or 12" is OK.

Thanks

3. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

IF you can find a screaming good deal on a Fender Tele Elite, that'd be what I really recommend. I got one for just outside that price range, but a heck of a good deal. This may be the best guitar Fender has produced in 20 years.

At the price range you mention, I'd recommend a Baja Tele: a 50s if you like maple fingerboards or a 60s if you like rosewood. 9.5" radius, lots of versatility.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good advice!
    I like the Elites, too.
    They address almost every convenience, comfort and sonic consideration, and aren’t Custom Shop pricey.
    The Thinline Elite model is light, looks cool, and has an interesting bridge.
    You might check one out.

5. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

In that price range and since you said slimmer neck, I would recommend a Baja 60s or used American Standard.

6. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Try new player series, its bang for the buck

7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

The Deluxe Thinlines are $900 NEW, so it's definitely in your price range used. Made in Mexico.

Thinline means light, 12" radius, Original Vintage Noiseless pickups, and locking tuners. Only available in sunburst with rosewood fretboard or candy apple red with maple, though.

Here's mine, after a pickguard change.

image.jpeg

8. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Not to highjack this thread, but where did you get that beautiful pickguard?

9. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

A guy on eBay. Around a hundred bucks, but there was a problem:

He buys the leather blanks (doesn't cut them himself), and then embosses, paints, and stitches the edges. The problem is, the stitching makes the guard larger, putting it out of spec, so note how it overhangs the bridge plate. He should have known this. I of course, didn't.

Fortunately, I can set my string height okay for me, but someone else might have a problem if they set it super low. Also, the screw holes didn't line up, but it didn't bother me drilling new holes for the guard screws, whereas that might really annoy some people.

10. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

Several years ago I bought a cowhide pickguard from El Dorado and it was absolutely beautiful. But, it was terrible as far as usage. The holes didn’t line up. It was all floppy because it was too soft and the pickups were sagging and sideways. The cowhide hairs were touching and dampening the strings. I tried putting a really thin backing on it and it made it too tall and touching the strings no matter how high I set the action. In the end it was just a big waste of money and only suitable for being on a guitar hanging on the wall as art.

11. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I'm used to flatter radii and the Fender Brad Paisley neck was great and it's light (6 lb range). It's made of Paulownia (G&L calls it Empress) w/ spruce top. Stock pickup sare decent.

12. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I don’t like thinner necks, so I will recommend teles that I avoid. IME the MIM standards and squier cvs are on the thinner side. If you want a flatter radius the squier standards have flatter boards but may require a pickup upgrade and if you don’t like that style of bridge you’re stuck.
    The newer MIM Nashville Teles (2016+?) have a 12” Radius, and a contoured heel if you like playing past the 12th fret. My current tele is a Nashville body with a classic 50s neck because I like the fatter c shape and vintage frets. If I had smaller hands I would stay away from the classic 50s MIM and 50s Bajas are especially fat.

13. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

This is backed, so not really all that floppy. Also, only the neck pup hangs from it anyway, but yes, it does lean a little toward neck. And no mutant hairs like you're talking about.

I'm sure I could "fix" the pup, but I don't see the point. It's a minor lean, which really doesn't make a difference on hard guards either.

Yeah, it's a trade-off with leather guards, depending on what you get. But from a tactile standpoint, this one is really sweet. Just feels really nice to brush your fingers on.

I won't even get into static buildup issues, where some people in some environments have real problems. In South Florida, I've never had this issue, and don't remember leather's ESD characteristics compared to plastic, but I think they're surprisingly similar.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If you want thinner necks and lower weight, and are comfortable modding, look into the Squier Teles. There is some mixing and matching of neck carves so you'll want to verify an exact model. I have an Affinity that has a more traditional Tele neck while the Standard I have has the thin carve of the Squier Strats.
    Often the nut width and the depth at the first fret measurements are within half a mm of each other on the spec sheets but the amount of wood carved off the back shoulders can be drastically different.

If you can see website pictures of the sides of the neck, a flat fretboard edge will be a chunkier neck where the carve cuts back after the glue line than a fretboard where the carve starts at the leading edge of the fretboard and cuts back at an acute angle.

If you want to compare, find a Squier Strat as all of them are carved smaller and they are available new and used like fleas on a junk yard dog, and then you'll know if the Tele carved that way is what you want.

Spend on a fret level and your pickups and electronics and tuner swap and you'll have a good playing guitar.

+1 on the Baja 50s neck, it's popular as a thick chunky neck so you'll want the 60s model. The 4-way switch is awesome but that can be added to any regular Tele.

15. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a used us std to me :)

16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

You don't need to spend a packet to get a perfectly functional Tele that sounds great.

nicod98 likes this.
  17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

There aren't that many telecasters around that actually have a more NARROW neck... Most people talk about the thickness. The Squier Classic Vibe at half your budget has a nut width that is somewhere between the 200 $ Affinity and a 550/600 $ Fender MIM. It is a great guitar. But you probably can find others too.
    The Squier Standard is a pretty standard 9.5" radius like most Squiers... The new contemporary series and one of the '72 VM's (the 72 Deluxe?) and the Joe Trohman Squier are flatter. I'm pretty sure the first two are 12", but I'm not that sure about the J. Trohman, there were two 7.25" radius Squier teles too, but those are now no longer produced.
    Which is in fact why these recommendation threads keep surprising me...

There is actually just one way to know if a guitar really speaks to you, and that holding it yourself. So my suggestion is: go to as many shops as you can and hold/try/play as many as you can. If you find the one that is really good for you, you'll know it immediately. But I come back to the Squier CV... try it.

18. Gorquin

Gorquin Tele-Meister

Thank you for the recommendations so far! Price wise it seems like a used Am Std may be a good idea since it's some aren't priced much above some of the MIM's.

Are all the CV Tele's a fat 50's neck?

19. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I thought the original question was narrow... Yes, the CV's are all pretty narrow. No, the CV is never fat. The CVC seems thinner than the CV but neither is fat.
    If you want a fat neck, go try a 50's Baja... that is one sweet guitar! (and very much loved on this forum)

20. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I recommend that you consider an Ibanez Talman http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg...&cat_id=1&series_id=37&data_id=381&color=CL01. I have an ash G&L ASAT too and they are heavey. My Talman is Alder and much lighter. It has lots of other features that I love.

Belly contour
    Arm countour
    Jaquar shape which I think is smaller and lighter
    1 5/8" nut

Mine has excellent build quality. It was MIJ and is the Nashville version. I don't think they make Talman's in Japan anymore but you can find them used.

The current Talmans made in Indonesia get good reviews too and new they are only $400. I have an Indonesia Ibanez Artist SG style that seems to be built as good as my MIJ Talman except the Artist has smaller small pots.

Good luck.

etype likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.